DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

I don't know why everyone thinks Orton is safe. He used AEW as a bargaining chip to argue his contract WAY up last cycle, and his attitude is bound to get the better of him again at some point.

• Like 1

I think Orton is one of those guys that Vince will pay stupid money for because he can walk out AS Randy Orton.

He's not going to turn up in AEW as Randall Keith or something. He can go there, name/brand/history in tact.

That said; Orton is exactly the kind of BIG name that AEW should steal.

His history with Cody (and their respective legacies ? ) would be enough to get some great storyline work going.

41 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't know why everyone thinks Orton is safe. He used AEW as a bargaining chip to argue his contract WAY up last cycle, and his attitude is bound to get the better of him again at some point.

I think the only person on the roster who is safe right now is Roman Reigns

And maybe Goldberg.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chaos said:

WWE has always had its issues, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them this aimless since I've been watching wrestling. Maybe early-mid 90s was about this bad, but they were transitioning from big guys and cartoons to Bret/Shawn/etc. 

It's pretty bad right now. Even when interest was low, there was always some kind of draw. Maybe they werent selling out arenas, but there was someone people actually wanted to see.  And the endless stream of bad pr certainly isn't helping. 

With respect to Morrison, who remembers the Chronicle the network put together of his return. It was an hour of him getting jerked around and realizing that none of the big plans for him were actually going to materialize. What's interesting about those network documentaries (the Liv Morgan is another one like this) is that was the usable footage.  Just imagine what was left on the cutting room floor. 

Morrison was only signed in the first place to keep him away from AEW. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dog said:

Well,  if ya built a sports entertainer up from the ground floor, Maggle…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

WWE has always had its issues, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them this aimless since I've been watching wrestling. Maybe early-mid 90s was about this bad, but they were transitioning from big guys and cartoons to Bret/Shawn/etc. 

At least they were trying to build dudes from the undercard. Most of those dudes just had shit gimmicks. 

You can at least point to Bret, 'Taker, Nash, and HHH as legit main-eventers who they slowly built up in that era who ended up sticking long-term, as well as a bunch of other useful parts (Owen, Bulldog, Yoko) who kept them afloat even as their creative went to shit.

Now, they don't even need to do that because they're too big to fail. I haven't seen a show since 2016, but I do hang around here, and other than Roman (who they fucked up with multiple times over half-a-decade before they got it right), who have they built? Look at Nash's booking to the main event and look at Roman's. 

And shit actually mattered in the mid-'90s! For example, if you look at Owen Hart from when he was eliminated at Survivor Series '93 to when he and Bret reconciled in '97, there is an actual character arc that acknowledges Owen's history with Bret all the way up until they join up again for a logical reason and in a logical way.

I don't watch the shows now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's happening at all on their TV. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Be pretty on brand for WWE to just murder Kyle at this point

There is no way that WWE will let AEW cash in on the reDRagon reunion.  They will resign Kyle.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

At least they were trying to build dudes from the undercard. Most of those dudes just had shit gimmicks. 

You can at least point to Bret, 'Taker, Nash, and HHH as legit main-eventers who they slowly built up in that era who ended up sticking long-term, as well as a bunch of other useful parts (Owen, Bulldog, Yoko) who kept them afloat even as their creative went to shit.

Now, they don't even need to do that because they're too big to fail. I haven't seen a show since 2016, but I do hang around here, and other than Roman (who they fucked up with multiple times over half-a-decade before they got it right), who have they built? Look at Nash's booking to the main event and look at Roman's. 

And shit actually mattered in the mid-'90s! For example, if you look at Owen Hart from when he was eliminated at Survivor Series '93 to when he and Bret reconciled in '97, there is an actual character arc that acknowledges Owen's history with Bret all the way up until they join up again for a logical reason and in a logical way.

I don't watch the shows now, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's happening at all on their TV. 

The Bret/Owen feud is great just because they did it for from 93 until early 97, but they didn't really have a direct program for 2+ years or have a real series of matches on TV/PPV after 94. That's a ridiculous level of continuity from a company that couldn't decide if Bob Holly's name was Thurman Plugg or Sparky Plugg, or Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There is no way that WWE will let AEW cash in on the reDRagon reunion.  They will resign Kyle.

Would a reDRagon reunion be that big a deal? Also there really is little they can do to stop it if KOR just doesn't want to re-sign

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, J.T. said:

WWE is not a wrestling company. They don't care what a wrestling company does.

AEW is not competition. Not in the same way ... sleep is.

• Like 1

Man, while I know a company is about making money it seems weird and fake for them to not honor contracts.   If you don't have anything creative for someone, be honorable and don't renew thier contract when they are up.  Don't pull this monopoly man empty pockets shit just after you release your earnings and you are making money.  

Sucks for Morrison who didn't have a chance and you could argue he and miz successful pulled off the bad bunny match at mania as well as could be expected. 

Drake I feel bad for but I think the guy works too damn hard not to land some place.

Hit row is baffling but you hear that Vince sees dolla as the focal point and he has "heat" and now all of them are gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My sarcasm was a bit veiled but I honestly think that AEW could make a reDRagon reunion feel like a much bigger deal than it should be, especially if Excalibur is shilling them.

It is AEW's ability to wring importance out of almost anything that makes it so dangerous.  Meanwhile, WWE can't even figure out how to integrate Hit Row into the main roster.

13 hours ago, Dog said:

WWE is not a wrestling company. They don't care what a wrestling company does.

Ratings being what they are, they should probably care.  They may not consider themselves to be a wrestling company, but pro wrestling is their most visible product.

At least for now it is until they release their entire roster and divest of pro wrestling for good.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

A name I've seen omitted from these lists, both as safe from being cut or possibly on the block is Finn Balor.  He seems like one of the talent that WWE would do anything they could to keep from hitting the open market, but considering how the chips have fallen lately, who the hell knows at this point.

Devitt is 40 years old, which would probably say to Vince that it's time to start phasing him down (although AJ Styles is four years older... but he is being used as a mentor to that El Gigante 2.0 guy now). But he still looks and moves like he's super young, and it kind of feels like WWE hasn't got everything out of him that they could have. So perhaps they'll try to hang on to him.

Arguably he himself has more value on the open market than he does in WWE, but we don't know his mind.

Who was the last person WWE cut (rather than them leaving voluntarily) who later returned to the company and made TV? Because it's not happened for a good while, has it?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Who was the last person WWE cut (rather than them leaving voluntarily) who later returned to the company and made TV? Because it's not happened for a good while, has it?

Spud? That sure worked out.

Edited by Sammo~!

There are people convinced that it was all a work and he was never actually fired at all. I'm not one of them, but they're out there. It's the fact that generally when they release people and they're in the no-compete period, that person disappears off the shows, whereas Spud was still there, winning his way to a tournament final.

I am sure there are others but Jinder Mahal was cut during that giant roster purge years ago and the was brought back when they started the roster split.

And actually now that I am type this out - Drew McIntyre is the other obvious answer

EDIT - they both were part of the same June 2014 release for frame of reference.