DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Do we know if WWE just released him or did he just say fuck it and rolled out in solidarity with his wife?   It's grasping at straws and goes against "gotta earn a paycheck" logic, but it might've happened.  I await the return of Johnny Impact and Taya Valkryie on Impact once their non competes run out.

There's a Taya Valkyrie tweet from this morning that starts off "My husband got fired", so.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, hammerva said:

You can see Xavier Woods getting more and more upset with these releases.  Maybe not leaving the company when contracts expires pissed though

Well, earlier on the same show, he did do this:

FEhx7LpXIAUaZSk?format=jpg&name=large

so the idea that he's some sort of "WWE is the only wrestling company I'll ever acknowledge the existence of" guy is kind of not accurate.

Anyway,

Nice typo, Meltzer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

The Teagan Nox cut is very much like an NFL player who got cut for having had one too many injuries. Teams might be willing to take a flyer while you rehab an injury, but after a while they cut their losses if you can’t come back or the same injury keeps reoccurring. It sucks, but it’s a cut throat business. 

I feel Morrison left in solidarity with Taya. For all the people that say Karrion Kross needs Scarlet to get over, Taya needs Morrison to get over. Whether it was Lucha Underground, AAA, or Impact. On her own Taya isn’t very good for as long as she’s been wrestling. 

Kofi, Big E, and Woods have been vocal for many years now - on-screen and off - about  increasing representation, supporting a diverse roster, and pushing for more Black Excellence in the company. Google "New Day Black Excellence" and a Washington Post article from 2016 pops up.

Firing Hit Row, to me, seems like something that all three could be pretty miffed about on top of what they did to Keith Lee and Ember Moon. 

New Day aren't some selfish posse like the Kliq was (or, if they are, they've done a mostly shit job of politicking but a great job at coming off as genuinely supportive of other talent and the company as a whole). These dudes have not only seen some of their best friends get fired unceremoniously - Brodie Lee, Tyler Breeze - but now the company is also dropping the young Black workers that the New Day might've seen as that next generation of Black Excellence. It's a double fuck you. 

And, just for good measure, on Veteran's Day last week, Hit Row were heavily featured on RAW Talk. I know that show doesn't mean much, but there were multiple segments about supporting veterans and two of the Hit Row members - Swerve Scott and Top Dolla maybe? - both served in the military. There was even a segment about hiring more veterans and about how difficult it is for veterans to find work after serving in the military.

I'm not saying that the WWE or any company needs to hire and never fire a veteran. But its not like Hit Row were tanking the ratings or woefully awful wrestlers. They were actually pretty good - or at least good enough to be on the roster. Swerve Scott, in particular, had a ton of upside. It just seems like an extra shitty thing to do when, a week earlier, you used Hit Row's military service as some sort of proof that the WWE supported veterans.

I hope they get roasted on Twitter when Tribute to the Troops airs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shane 'Swerve' Strickland was an incredible wrestler before he ever went to WWE and became Isiah Scott. The other three... I wasn't that into them, but I saw an awful lot of love for the act on the twitter. So they could have found an audience, for sure.

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder how much Paul makes and if he'd be generally safe, presuming he is content to just be a performer. 

Even with the constant stream of firings I don't see Paul getting shitcanned.  But for the benefit of the industry and his abilities as a booker, especially in this time, I really hope he finds his way to an Impact or an NWA or MLW.  Talent available and a new start-up mean nothing without a competent booker.  TK as a successful booker suggests that potentially there are more out there, but the current MLW, NWA and Impact certainly questions that theory.  Sometimes it seems like NJPW Strong is the potential number 3.

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Just look at how many guys were run off in the 2000s, probably most notably Johnny Jeter. 

I was drawn into OVW thru Heyman's run there (and the tail end of Cornette's bland booking), and got excited about the up and coming talent.  Then they brought up OVW's top feud and made them into a shitty tag team - the Basham Bros.  And Nick Dinsmore became mentally challenged.  And finally everybody seemed to get called up to be in a canon fodder act called the Spirit Squad.  Yeah, Jeter had potential before that.  

I think the thing that bothers me the most about WWE randomly releasing people is how little regard they seem to have for the people who make up their industry. If they released people for not having the talent to perform at this level,  I wouldn't really feel anything,  because that's the game. They release talented people,  who have either shown they can perform,  or haven't been given a chance to perform,  and that's just weird to me. If they didn't want to give these performers a chance to show their talent,  why did they sign them in the first place? I stopped watching WWE a while ago,  but now I'm actively rooting against them. I just can't root for a company that takes something I spent my entire life loving and treating it like its disposable. They are up there with the NCAA, where I'm kind of at the point that I care enough to pay attention from out of bounds, but won't cross that line to where they can say I'm giving them any money.  I'll read recaps to keep up with what's going on, but I'm not watching this shit. 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think the thing that bothers me the most about WWE randomly releasing people is how little regard they seem to have for the people who make up their industry. If they released people for not having the talent to perform at this level,  I wouldn't really feel anything,  because that's the game. They release talented people,  who have either shown they can perform,  or haven't been given a chance to perform,  and that's just weird to me. If they didn't want to give these performers a chance to show their talent,  why did they sign them in the first place? I stopped watching WWE a while ago,  but now I'm actively rooting against them. I just can't root for a company that takes something I spent my entire life loving and treating it like its disposable. They are up there with the NCAA, where I'm kind of at the point that I care enough to pay attention from out of bounds, but won't cross that line to where they can say I'm giving them any money.  I'll read recaps to keep up with what's going on, but I'm not watching this shit. 

One of us!  One of us! 

I've watched WWE since 1985 but I stopped watching in January of 2017 and I haven't given them a penny or an fraction of a fraction of a ratings point since, and every other day they make some garbage-ass move that reinforces that decision.

Nobody who likes this thing called "pro wrestling" should support them.  They stopped being a pro wrestling company a long time ago. 

• Like 8

On 11/14/2021 at 11:24 PM, kafkonia said:

It could be something as simple as "He went with a provider our plan didn't cover."

I once worked at a furniture store, and a man tried to return his mattress because he'd expected his insurance company to pay for it and they wouldn't because it didn't meet their criteria as a therapeutic mattress (TheraPedic =\= therapeutic, folks.)

Shuddup, next thing you'll try to tell me is that TemperPedic won't help me with my temperament. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cubbymark said:

I feel Morrison left in solidarity with Taya. For all the people that say Karrion Kross needs Scarlet to get over, Taya needs Morrison to get over. Whether it was Lucha Underground, AAA, or Impact. On her own Taya isn’t very good for as long as she’s been wrestling. 

Wasn't Taya successful in Mexico before she even met him? 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

One of us!  One of us! 

I've watched WWE since 1985 but I stopped watching in January of 2017 and I haven't given them a penny or an fraction of a fraction of a ratings point since, and every other day they make some garbage-ass move that reinforces that decision.

Nobody who likes this thing called "pro wrestling" should support them.  They stopped being a pro wrestling company a long time ago. 

I stopped watching Raw and Smackdown over 10 years ago. I stopped watching NXT about a year ago. I just can't do it any more,  it's almost like they're doing everything in their power to push me away.

AEW has an opportunity to really pull in a fanbase that has been neglected for years and I'm hoping they keep up the good work. 

Edited by supremebve
My phone just types anything it wants
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At this point would be better to figure out who genuinely is safe from being fired. 

As far as full-timers:

- Roman

- Orton

-  Lynch

- Sasha

- Rollins, I think

- The New Day

- maybe the Usos while this current storyline is going

- maybe Charlotte but the clock may be ticking on her at this rate

I honestly think every other person could be randomly cut if the number gets drawn.  

addendum: and while I think they really like Rollins, Lynch is far more valuable so, like the Usos, I think he's safe because of her. 

Edited by Hagan

WWE has always had its issues, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them this aimless since I've been watching wrestling. Maybe early-mid 90s was about this bad, but they were transitioning from big guys and cartoons to Bret/Shawn/etc. 

• Like 2