DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Also, it would not shock me if they altogether cancel NXT within the next year or so or do the ECW thing and NXT becomes a taping before or after Raw or SmackDown and then it fades into obscurity.

• Like 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

Heyman

Sometimes I wonder how much money he actually has because he promotes the weirdest shit, like the fake body tattoos. I'm sure he's just trying to cash in wherever he can.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

With the exception of Hit Row I kind of get the latest releases. Not sure why they ever even brought Morrison back. 

Hit Row's firing is moronic on basically every level, but also pretty unsurprising with B-Fab getting inexplicably released in the last batch. Bray's release pretty much showed they don't really care or know what the hell they are doing with all these releases at this point as even a big merch mover can be released for no real sensible reason. Hit Row wasn't there yet, but they showed the most potential out of the NXT callups so how they got fired before getting anything resembling a shot is dumbfounding. 

* puts on tin foil hat *

Hit Row only got a main roster call up so they would have 90 day no competes instead of the 30 days that come with NXT deals.

There was never going to be a push. They got the promo time to convince them to sign the deals that would keep them away from AEW longer.

* takes off tin foil hat *

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

* puts on tin foil hat *

Hit Row only got a main roster call up so they would have 90 day no competes instead of the 30 days that come with NXT deals.

There was never going to be a push. They got the promo time to convince them to sign the deals that would keep them away from AEW longer.

* takes off tin foil hat *

No way. I’ve only ever seen Scott, but there’s no way the group is “make sure we’re paying them an extra two months so Tony can’t have them” good. They got called up because the guy in charge can’t make a call and stick to it for half a week anymore. Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 4

Hit Row being released both makes a lot of sense and no sense at all. Like, they brought them up, did a whole big promo and debut of them , as well as putting Top Dolla prominently on that stupid A&E WWE Pickers show and that makes no sense. On the other hand, it was easily one of the "hippest" most current-ish gimmicks they had going, so it makes total sense that they got to the main roster and the creative went "I have absolutely no idea what this is?!" I mean, if you turn to NXT you have a guy doing a University gimmick and he wears a big red sweater with a capital A on it as he'd strolled in out of a 1940s college movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

With the exception of Hit Row I kind of get the latest releases. Not sure why they ever even brought Morrison back. 

Hit Row's firing is moronic on basically every level, but also pretty unsurprising with B-Fab getting inexplicably released in the last batch. Bray's release pretty much showed they don't really care or know what the hell they are doing with all these releases at this point as even a big merch mover can be released for no real sensible reason. Hit Row wasn't there yet, but they showed the most potential out of the NXT callups so how they got fired before getting anything resembling a shot is dumbfounding. 

He gave Seth Rollins his new gimmick.

Oh boy, Hit Row getting fucked on this seemed like someone (yeah, no idea, either) went "Hey, NXT can't have nice things! Gimme that shit!" Then, once they got it, they're like "What the hell is this shit? I don't want it, I never wanted it! Get fucking rid of it, now! Eww!". Which is just nuts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Top Dolla is the most puzzling release. I wouldn't have been surprised if they cut Swerve and Adonis, then repackaged Top Dolla in a tag team with Otis or some shit, but throwing out some of these random home-growns has to be demoralizing to everyone in NXT. He came up "the right way," honed his own character, made it to a big show, then did nothing and was released within a couple months along with the rest of his stable. How is this supposed to attract anyone to the PC career path?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

A potential side effect of all this is great wrestlers not being able to get enough work and thinking “screw this” and just retiring.  Would be heartbreaking to never see some of these girls and guys again.

Even if they find enough work on the indies then it might keep a new up and comer off the card.  In which case we end up with that weird mid-90’s east coast indies scene where they were populated by ex-tv guys with some youngsters in the opening match.

I remember years ago JR or Cornette went on a rant on a podcast about “being a wrestler is not for everyone”.  At the time I thought it was just ‘old man yells at cloud’, but they may now be right, breaking into the business is about to get ridiculously tough with the amount of outstanding talent that is floating around in the ether.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, I don't think I have any interest in ever seeing John Morrison ever. Let him go back to making direct to streaming movies or whatever.

I don't know anything about anyone in Hit Row except Swerve.

Do we know if WWE just released him or did he just say fuck it and rolled out in solidarity with his wife?   It's grasping at straws and goes against "gotta earn a paycheck" logic, but it might've happened.  I await the return of Johnny Impact and Taya Valkryie on Impact once their non competes run out.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

From the new WON that just came out regarding Top Dolla (shoot name is AJ Francis hence why you will see "Francis" in the blurb)

Top Dolla (A.J. Francis), an agile 6-foot-5, 330 pounder, was a nose tackle at Maryland, who bounced around the NFL from 2013 to 2020. He wasn’t drafted, and went from camp to camp, but played nine NFL games, one as a member of the Miami Dolphins in 2015, two with the Seattle Seahawks that same season and six with the Washington Redskins in 2017. They had a good act and Francis, while green, was way ahead of the game considering he didn’t have his first match until May and didn’t start training until one year ago. While he came across well on television, he rubbed a ton of people the wrong way in NXT and was getting the same reputation on the main roster. He was the one Vince McMahon saw as the star of the group because of his size, and once they decided to get rid of him, the other two likely were caught in the crossfire.

-------------

Francis did himself no favors with AEW since he tried to make fun of the Young Bucks on Twitter. In a sad irony for him, when he was called up and fans noted that being on the main roster was the beginning of the end, citing other NXT call-ups who went nowhere. He said that he and his group were different because they could promo. A lot of people figured that it wouldn’t end well, but I don’t know anyone thought it would be this quick.

• Like 1