DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We watch more English Premier League on Peacock than WWE. 

I only have Peacock for futbol. The only wrestling I've watched is old stuff to do prep for doing BTS, since some of that stuff is t on YT anymore. 

It's funny that the McMahons have been compared to the Lannisters considering the number of times Vince pitched incest stories to Steph...

The roster was insanely bloated so cuts were needed, it's just that some of these names have so much potential it's a little shocking.

Take Lee, Moon, Scarlett & Kross (maybe) off this list and are we really that shocked?

They might be selling in the next few years but, realistically, there's no need to have 200+ people on the roster.

On the other side; While I hope these people all land on their feet, I also hope that AEW don't fall into the trap of signing everyone up.

Lee & Yim absolutely. Same with Ember Moon. Both of these women would help fill out AEWs division & Lee could be a huge star if booked properly.

Is Scarlett any better than The Bunny in the ring or is she just a manager?

The rest aren't anything to get excited about.

Khan should nab O'Reilly and start the build to Era v Elite after Kenny loses to Hangman. I think that's 6-12 months of self contained story that can be told - Cole bringing 'his' guys into the Super Kliq, trying to put doubt into Kenny's spot and going after the title himself, finally going after the Bucks for kicking him out all those years ago, and then a full scale breakdown that sees everyone go their separate ways.

Other than that I really just want AEW to consolidate the 'home grown' guys they have.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Horatio said:

I wish R-Truth would go AEW. I know he's got a good spot and he ain't greedy or nothin, but damn, that guy should shoot for the stars...

For as good a run as he has had, Truth is close to the most misused member of the roster in the last 15 years.

He had the body, mic skills, charisma & enough in ring talent for multiple world title runs.

It kills me that they never followed through on giving him a run opposite Cena.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

I mentioned elsewhere WWE no longer has to pay expenses with WWE studios, now that they switched to licensing instead of self financing. While also increasing profits. 

This doesn't make Nick Kahn a genius. It just makes everyone else in WWE stupid for taking the losses for however many years they kept sinking money into the studio idea.

3 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Which is something else Vince counts on: WWE being too big to fail. 

I don't think anyone looks at WWE through rose-colored glasses. I certainly don't. But if it feels that I or someone else brings up the corporate angle too much, it's because there's merit to it, though we all recognize how screwed up it is.

It's a bummer but this is the most rational take. No matter how things shake out Vince is never going to see hardship or karma for all the shitty business practices he's done. WWE isn't too big to fail. But Vince himself is too good of a businessman to personally fail. Billion dollar deals are great. And you're right seems like they sign new ones ever year. But that just cannot sustain if they don't have anyone watching.

But maybe that is more wishful thinking for someone who grew up before WWE was a monopoly. It's a bummer to see so many younger fans just shit on anything non WWE on social media. Because had they been born a few years earlier they would understand WWE is just one flavor, not the only meal.

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

The roster was insanely bloated so cuts were needed, it's just that some of these names have so much potential it's a little shocking.

Explain that one to me. Why were cuts needed? Why does a mega profitable company HAVE TO end agreements they entered into early? It's not the performer's fault they ran a stupid strategy to sign 200 more athletes than they needed. Bloated roster is not a reason for people to lose a job. A respectable business would honor their agreements until they end. Even if they didn't want to showcase the performer anymore. If someone wants to leave, sure cut them loose. But there are tons of wrestlers there that would be happy to stay on the payroll and collect all the money you promised them.

This is one I will fight anyone on. No one needs to be cut. Let the deals you sign run their course. Don't fire people because you're too stupid to maximize their upside. Unless you get into a 1995 jam where the company isn't making money, there is NO EXCUSE to arbitrarily fire people.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This doesn't make Nick Kahn a genius. It just makes everyone else in WWE stupid for taking the losses for however many years they kept sinking money into the studio idea.

It's a bummer but this is the most rational take. No matter how things shake out Vince is never going to see hardship or karma for all the shitty business practices he's done. WWE isn't too big to fail. But Vince himself is too good of a businessman to personally fail. Billion dollar deals are great. And you're right seems like they sign new ones ever year. But that just cannot sustain if they don't have anyone watching.

But maybe that is more wishful thinking for someone who grew up before WWE was a monopoly. It's a bummer to see so many younger fans just shit on anything non WWE on social media. Because had they been born a few years earlier they would understand WWE is just one flavor, not the only meal.

Explain that one to me. Why were cuts needed? Why does a mega profitable company HAVE TO end agreements they entered into early? It's not the performer's fault they ran a stupid strategy to sign 200 more athletes than they needed. Bloated roster is not a reason for people to lose a job. A respectable business would honor their agreements until they end. Even if they didn't want to showcase the performer anymore. If someone wants to leave, sure cut them loose. But there are tons of wrestlers there that would be happy to stay on the payroll and collect all the money you promised them.

This is one I will fight anyone on. No one needs to be cut. Let the deals you sign run their course. Don't fire people because you're too stupid to maximize their upside. Unless you get into a 1995 jam where the company isn't making money, there is NO EXCUSE to arbitrarily fire people.

Im more surprised the contracts dont have buyout clauses. 

I dont out any blame on the WWE. Business is business. The independent contracters know the risks, and if they were smart they would include a buyout clause.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Im more surprised the contracts dont have buyout clauses. 

I dont out any blame on the WWE. Business is business. The independent contracters know the risks, and if they were smart they would include a buyout clause.

So you are saying, without a union, you expect anyone to be able to pull that off? Roman Reigns himself could demand that clause and they'd show him the door. That isn't a possibility for anyone. Well, any on air talent. I bet people in the corporate offices like the new CFO have those kind of clauses.

• Like 3

Nobody is forcing them to sign these contracts. They have the option, and at this point everyone knows the risks. 

If your contract is prematurely terminated by the WWE there shouldnt be a Non Compete Clause. If the employee wishes to exit the deal prematurely then a Non Compete Clause should exist (until the practice is finally made illegal in all 50 states). If there is a mutual agreement termination that should also nullify any non Compete. If either party wishes to exit early there should be an early termination fee based on a % for the remainder of the contract. This isn't rocket science. The WWE isn't being carny. 

This isnt blaming talent nor is it blaming the WWE. This is more pointing out that anyone who wants to do business with the WWE (or any corp) needs to protect themselves. The only people smart enough to do so are the ones on top.

I dont think they will ever bring in an AJ Styles again. The future of the WWE is in homegrown cookie cutter failed football player and gym rats. Kids who won't know any better or just don't care about that at this stage in their lives/careers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This isnt blaming talent nor is it blaming the WWE. This is more pointing out that anyone who wants to do business with the WWE (or any corp) needs to protect themselves. The only people smart enough to do so are the ones on top.

I guess the implication that some people aren't "smart enough" to protect themselves could be read as blaming. But I don't want to speak for anyone else. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

I guess the implication that suggesting some people aren't "smart enough" to protect themselves could be read as blaming. But I don't want to speak for anyone else. 

Would you ever go into contract negotiations potentially worth 6-7 figures without an agent?

The non-competes can stick because the talent's still being paid through the length of the non-compete. A non-compete where the talent doesn't get paid probably wouldn't stick in court, because you have to allow people to make a living doing what they do if you take that living away from them by firing them.

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Nobody is forcing them to sign these contracts. They have the option, and at this point everyone knows the risks. 

If your contract is prematurely terminated by the WWE there shouldnt be a Non Compete Clause. If the employee wishes to exit the deal prematurely then a Non Compete Clause should exist (until the practice is finally made illegal in all 50 states). If there is a mutual agreement termination that should also nullify any non Compete. If either party wishes to exit early there should be an early termination fee based on a % for the remainder of the contract. This isn't rocket science. The WWE isn't being carny. 

I dont think they will ever bring in an AJ Styles again. The future of the WWE is in homegrown cookie cutter failed football player and gym rats. Kids who won't know any better or just don't care about that at this stage in their lives/careers. 

That's a nice imagination you have there. It's literally not a possibility tho. ZERO wrestlers in WWE history (probably ZERO wrestlers in the history of the entire industry) have ever had a buyout clause. It's a literal non-starter. If you want a buyout clause you cannot be a professional wrestler. That's fact. That's reality. Those are the rules you have to play by if you want to be a part of this business. So I find it a little suspect to blame the contracted performers for not being smart enough to demand something that literally isn't allowed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Would you ever go into contract negotiations potentially worth 6-7 figures without an agent?

Well, how do you think countless people have gotten fucked over in the music industry? It's designed that way.

Besides like Barry Bloom and maybe the handful of people repped by folks at CAA, how many agents are worth their salt in wrestling? I asked this question the last time there was bloodshed like this when it came to cuts.

The UFC has been able to capitalized on there being only a handful of reputable agents with the two biggest power brokers being Malki Kawa (and his brother) and Ali Abdelaziz. They represent a large number or wide swath of big name UFC talent. I guess I would throw in Audie Attar as well since he reps Conor. The folks who don't have this representation, which is roughly 90 percent of the roster of about 450-500 fighters are fighting for pennies. Even the new HW champion Francis Ngannou is talking about how he cannot pay for his training camps. The UFC spent numerous years making sure there is no middleman between the fighters and management. That's how you're able to enforce one sided contracts.

• Like 3