DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Just now, just drew said:

There's a joke in here somewhere about Keith Lee and Adam Cole finally getting their run together, but I'm too tired to craft it and it's probably best saved for another day anyhow...

THE BEARCAT AND BUDGE....!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

I remain flabbergasted that folks there thought Keith Lee was expendable. Jaxson Ryker is essential, but not Keith Lee?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ryker goes, he's been jobbing on Main Event lately so I figured any attempted push of him was done for.

Similarly, since they released Kross & Scarlett, Keith & Mia, and then Franky Monet, I'm shocked that John Morrison didn't get cut too considering the way he's been used ever since he came back. His last Raw match was getting squashed by Kross in 2 minutes.

Metallik, Lee and probably Lorcan locks for AEW. Assume most of the women get tryouts at least because why not?

Best case is as the indies keep cranking up and Mexico, Britain and Japan open back up in the next year there’s going to be no shortage of hungry name talent.

1 minute ago, Hagan said:

Metallik, Lee and probably Lorcan locks for AEW. Assume most of the women get tryouts at least because why not?

Best case is as the indies keep cranking up and Mexico, Britain and Japan open back up in the next year there’s going to be no shortage of hungry name talent.

I can't imagine a scenario where Mia Yim and Ember don't get snatched up by TK as soon as they're available. You add them to what you've got and it's gonna be a real burner of a division.

• Like 4

I loved 99% of Taya’s Impact run so I’d love to see her back there, I would imagine she’ll pop up in AAA at some point.

I can imagine Kross and Scarlett showing up in MLW.  I seem to remember them burning bridges with Impact when they left, I may be wrong though.

ROH really picked a bad time to restructure.  I feel bad for the likes of Mance and Danhausen being out injured while the market is flooded with talent.

• Like 1

Gonna have to wrestle in the indys. 

Most of the other Japanese male promotions in the last decade decreased the amount of Gaijin due to cost saving. NJPW the exception of course.

Edited by D.Z

Another thing - some takes are veering into ‘how will these people feed their families without a WWE contract?’ territory. I dunno - I think Jessie Kamea (who I actually am high on) is gonna survive without her shitty NXT contract. Shit - once they get their Twitch streams and shit back they’ll be making more. 

Losing a WWE paycheck sucks a lot but most of these people are talented enough that they’ll be more than fine if they want to stick with it.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

This is pretty true though. I think if there were to be another group, it would have to be a "major" with backing like AEW and I don't know if that's possible. 

While I agree another promotion wouldn't really offer anything different to WWE or AEW, it could only take one other billionaire who's a fan to look at what TK has done with AEW and see it as a worthwhile investment (I assume they are making money?) to decide to follow suit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

"cutting Keith Lee" is definitely the new "cutting Miro" 

Some of these names I understand, but cutting Lee is batshit insane.

Unless he was told Mia was getting cut and he asked for his, I just don't get it....

Lots of baffling names on this list, but the weirdest for me is B-Fab. Not only was she the face of Hit Row, she hits every mark for what WWE is (supposedly) looking for in talent right now. What happened there?

Edited by Hector
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, killsteve said:

While I agree another promotion wouldn't really offer anything different to WWE or AEW, it could only take one other billionaire who's a fan to look at what TK has done with AEW and see it as a worthwhile investment (I assume they are making money?) to decide to follow suit

Since someone already brought her up...Jeanie Buss could try to do a company like AJW in the early to mid 90s on steroids but I don't think she would feel the ROI could be there. I think she has an idea of what she sees wrestling to be and that's what she is investing in. It's her own personal vanity project much like people incorrectly assumed TK was doing with AEW. Nothing wrong with that especially since it means more people getting paid, but that's what it is.

IMO The problem with wrestling is it fell out of that period where you would have people with the requisite capital who would be interested in competing. MMA did to a certain extent but UFC soldiering on kept that fire lit. Companies like One FC, Rizin, PFL, and a few others get to stick around despite losing millions because the financial backers have a Netflix investor like mindset of "this has to make money one day, right?". It's been clear since Strikeforce went down in 2012 that there is only room for UFC and everyone is fighting for a very distant second. Yet, people keep coming up and entering the fight game because they see the dollar signs.

Pro wrestling had that period too, but very briefly with stuff like XWF, WWA, and random companies having shows on iNDEMAND and other PPV providers in that post WCW and ECW era. I think people in the business world view pro wrestling as something super niche inside this insulated bubble, and you're not going to get much out unless you have a roster like what WWE has. Whether you like him or not, a Tony Khan is going to be a rarity because he's somehow not just both the creative mind and the financial backer. He's willing to pour himself into the company despite other big commitments. There ain't going to be many people who check ALL of those boxes.

• Like 1

MLW is downsizing. They just got rid of 5-10 people over the past 1-2 weeks, some of whom were just signed a month before. Granted, I'm sure they didn't know this was coming but I'm not sure if that changes their business model.

7 minutes ago, Peck said:

MLW is downsizing. They just got rid of 5-10 people over the past 1-2 weeks, some of whom were just signed a month before. Granted, I'm sure they didn't know this was coming but I'm not sure if that changes their business model.

Uhhhhhhh... bring back ROH?

• Like 1

Who would have guessed that W.O.W. could be the saving grace of Women's wrestling in 2022.

Apparently Jessi Kamea (one of my personal favorites) got released. I think she has raw potential if molded correctly. She would be perfect for WOW especially if she used her original nerdy girl gimmick.

• Like 1