DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

On 8/22/2021 at 6:23 PM, kafkonia said:

So "Move the needle" seems like a corporate talking point, rather than Roman saying something off the cuff.

I guess it's the new Ruthless Aggression.

He literally stole it from Dana White when White said that Nate Diaz doesn't "move the needle." 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/7/18/5916043/dana-white-nate-diaz-is-not-a-needle-mover

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

He didn't steal it, it's a somewhat frequently used term. Not the most well known one but I've heard it many times in my life, and often times in corporate situations.

The insane executive director at my job says it and I immediately was triggered lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

I haven't listened but apparently Dave mentioned that Vince & Prichard have a "chopping block list" for NXT, including some veterans.

Yeah - no names were mentioned but it was basically implied that it was folks they no longer have use for. 

Dave's exact quote was "I've heard names on the chopping block. A lot of the guys who have been there a long time are the names that have been talked about"

Side note: Dave said Vince & Prichard are taking over "the major stuff/big picture stuff" but both he and Alvarez have conflicting reports on who is going to be doing the day to day stuff. (And confirming what we all see with our own eyes that HHH has lost power). But both (Dave and Bryan) believe what you are already seeing is what NXT will be now - vets/better workers teaching the raw guys who Vince wants on the main roster (Alvarez's examples were Kyle O'Reilly vs Duke Hudson and Roderick Strong vs Ikemen Jiro instead of just doing O'Reilly vs Strong on this past week's episode)

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

But both (Dave and Bryan) believe what you are already seeing is what NXT will be now - vets/better workers teaching the raw guys who Vince wants on the main roster (Alvarez's examples were Kyle O'Reilly vs Duke Hudson and Roderick Strong vs Ikemen Jiro instead of just doing O'Reilly vs Strong on this past week's episode)

And really, that's fine.  I'm pretty sure guys like Steen, Strong, and Joe were signed with the idea being they'd be filling that kind of role.  But then NXT was changed to a super indy, first to hire everybody and kill off the indies because they had the temerity to run 'Mania weekends and, later, to fight AEW.  So whose fault is it that they were no longer "developing guys who could main event 'Mania?"

The history of NXT is fascinating to look at.  A developmental program whose purpose changed to something entirely different, to the point where it became "a third brand."  Then people in power -- the very people who changed what NXT fundamentally was -- got pissed off because it was no longer a developmental system.  It was their fault it changed!  It's like if your hometown football team made an effort to focus more of running and defense, then the owner got mad after a season or two that the passing numbers were radically down.

• Like 4

Conceptually, I feel like the strategy for "Super Indy" NXT was sound.  In theory, you're signing wrestlers whose styles are more in tune with what the modern audience wants.  You're simultaneously signing people who already have a fanbase and name recognition - which hopefully gets more eyes on your product - and you're undermining your potential competition by depleting their talent pool.  Beyond that, NXT gave them a fresh product to brand and merchandise, as well as new revenue streams in the forms house shows and tv money.  

The problem the concept is that it only worked for a short amount of time.  i mean, a lot of people here regarded Trips as a genius when Danielson was selling merch and Steen was the WWE champion.

NXT was the best wrestling promotion in the United States for a long while - I'd say until they decided to move it to two hours every week. I'm also of the belief that moving it to USA did them no favors as well. Part of the appeal of NXT was that it was this tiny niche promotion out of Full Sail that you needed WWE Network to even access. It's like enjoying a band and then they go mainstream; it looks like they're selling out and now that everybody knows the secret, it's no longer "fun" anymore.

• Like 5

In terms of who they use, it's a small roster, because it's the same handful of people on TV every week, but the theoretical "Everyone in the PC is an NXT wrestler until stated otherwise" roster is fucking huge. Overstuffed as hell.

On WWE's website the list 48 total wrestlers listed under "NXT" (33 Men, 15 Women)

There is a little overlap with NXT UK but not much (like maybe 4 or 5 people total)

Side Note: Adam Cole is still listed

EDIT - For frame of reference SDL only has 34 total wrestlers and that includes long term injuries like Bayley

10 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

NXT was the best wrestling promotion in the United States for a long while - I'd say until they decided to move it to two hours every week. I'm also of the belief that moving it to USA did them no favors as well. Part of the appeal of NXT was that it was this tiny niche promotion out of Full Sail that you needed WWE Network to even access. It's like enjoying a band and then they go mainstream; it looks like they're selling out and now that everybody knows the secret, it's no longer "fun" anymore.

I agree with this 100%.  The only American wrestling promotion that I've been invested in for about the last 15 years is NXT, and of course they're dead set on ruining it.  I'm thinking about jumping into AEW, but there is a pretty good chance my interest in modern wrestling is done.  There is just no real reason for me to believe that anyone is interested in presenting a wrestling product I actually like.

• Like 4

A bunch of the NXT releases start being able to work again shortly

Fandango - going by the name Dirty Dango - was announced for an indie show (which I already spaced which promotion) and Bronson Reed (back to using the name Jonah Rock) tweeted that he becomes a FA tomorrow.

• Like 1