DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

52 minutes ago, DMJ said:

From my understanding, Omos is a case kind like Strowman where, yes, he was training at the PC this whole time (Braun was even one of the Rosebuds) and may have even wrestled some dark matches (?) but was purposefully kept off NXT TV because they wanted to shock the audience with the debut of a big, huge dude that "nobody had ever seen before." 

No dark matches, so far as I can tell, but he wrestled on a few NXT house shows in late 2019 & early 2020.  He was training at the PC at the time, but was kept off NXT tv.

Cagematch says he wrestled Kona Reeves at a 2019 NXT house show.  He'd only wrestled 4 or 5 matches at that point.  That match almost has to be terrible.

I await the Azeez vs Omos feud. No, that doesn't mean tags or singles with AJ and Apollo, straight up just those two as those characters in about 6 months at Mania.

Edited by Ryan

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

And to add to the fucked upness of all this apperantly Zelina resigned so she could be on the same brand as her husband....and he promptly got cut

Just saw this posted on Facebook: 

“I was in the gym, I was just warming up. My phone buzzes and I see it’s Jonny Ace. I’m like “Why the fuck is he calling me on a Thursday morning…Oh shit. You got to be kidding me.’ I pick up the phone and he’s like ‘Hey, kid. Hate to do this but I got a list and you’re on it. I don’t get it, I honestly don’t, you just came back, I dunno. I’m just doing my job.’ I honestly didn’t know what to say back. I don’t even remember what I replied.

As soon as I get off the phone, my wife starts crying. She had just decided to come back and the driving force behind her returning to WWE was that we were going to be on the same brand and traveling together. I said ‘Fuck this day’ and we got in the car. We started talking, she was still sobbing and I just started laughing, like uncontrollably. She looked over and she knew I was going to be alright. AEW was the first thing that popped in my head. She said ‘Are you going to be ok?’ I just stopped laughing and said ‘Oh, yeah. WE are going to be perfectly fine.’” - Malakai Black

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I can only speculate that what WWE wants but it looks like what they really want is to build their guys from the ground-up. Realistically, there's been no one around the World Title for the last year or two that aren't really WWE products (save Daniel Bryan): Reigns, MacIntyre (started in WWE, left, came back), Lashley (ditto), Orton, Strowman, Cena. So, though, it might seem like a relatively recent trend, I think you can take a look at this and see that Vince has grown to only trust guys he felt he created over the last few years. Most of these guys were basically WWE guys from very early on. So I think they're trying to get younger guys with bigger builds that they can coach to be "WWE guys" (Read: kind of boring) without having irritating habits that they feel the need to coach out of them. (like not playing to the crowd, or designing everything around the hard cam). I think someone (probably Vince but possibly Dunn, Ace, et. al) has decided that the way to overtake AEW is to create larger-than-life wrestlers to differentiate between the two brands: AEW will be the wrasslin' show with smaller athletic guys which they feel has a smaller demo, while WWE will be the over-sized superhero/entertainment company that will have more appeal to a wider audience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caley said:

I can only speculate that what WWE wants but it looks like what they really want is to build their guys from the ground-up. Realistically, there's been no one around the World Title for the last year or two that aren't really WWE products (save Daniel Bryan): Reigns, MacIntyre (started in WWE, left, came back), Lashley (ditto), Orton, Strowman, Cena. So, though, it might seem like a relatively recent trend, I think you can take a look at this and see that Vince has grown to only trust guys he felt he created over the last few years. Most of these guys were basically WWE guys from very early on. So I think they're trying to get younger guys with bigger builds that they can coach to be "WWE guys" (Read: kind of boring) without having irritating habits that they feel the need to coach out of them. (like not playing to the crowd, or designing everything around the hard cam). I think someone (probably Vince but possibly Dunn, Ace, et. al) has decided that the way to overtake AEW is to create larger-than-life wrestlers to differentiate between the two brands: AEW will be the wrasslin' show with smaller athletic guys which they feel has a smaller demo, while WWE will be the over-sized superhero/entertainment company that will have more appeal to a wider audience. 

See this is what I’ve been thinking.  I’m just super curious how they will do this in a time with overly scripted promos, Johnny Ace scouting, and a legit #2 promotion. The next few years will be super interesting with the potential return of one of the most unliked periods of the company amongst fans. But they are the WWE, so they’ve got the brand name, but they have lost a good chunk of the audience for the two decades since the boom, so anything could happen. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Here’s thee Rev’s flight of fancy:

Mr. HHH takes a year sabbatical, and does a tour of the indys. He position in the WWE is currently untenable but a lot can happen in Mr. McMahon’s kooky kingdom in a mere year, so what does he have to lose? Two choices for him to approach this - he gets booked as Paul Levesque and goes toe-to-toe with the top workers in indy feds in the U.S. and elsewhere, making humble and keeping up. The other choice is to do this thing with the HHH gimmick and make his opponents look like a million bucks, if not put them over. His booking fee is low, with lots of facetime in the lockerroom and the autograph table. It will be a loss leader, he can afford it. Hell, do it for charity.

Either way, he comes out with an infinite amount of street cred. More fans than ever are “smart” but a smartmark is still a mark. He’ll be golden. The corporation that he returns to will be different but his position would be stronger. It's HHH's Road to Redemption! (contact me for movie rights)

just a whimsy but I’d like to see it happen,

RAF

• Like 2

HOWEVER ----

If any of y’all actually really think that TAFKA Terra Ryzing will be fired and/or quit then you are working yourselves. He has been with Titan for 36 years, is a corporate officer and the head honcho’s son-in-law, fortheloveofDusty. He may be given yet another new title, but his place in the company will always be at the top. He has seen lots of shake-ups and knows to play the long game. If thee VKM steps down, and for whatever reason HHH is not placed in charge then, he’ll still be there waiting. There is a great chance he will eventually get the nod, whether or not it’s due to his tenure & record, nepotism/connections, or stockholder’s fiat.

c’mon now,

RAF

• Like 1

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, if she had waited, TK could have signed them as a package deal. 

That's assuming that they didn't fire Black to fuck with Vega for leaving.  Sounds unlikely, but if I've learned one thing about WWE over these decades, they are exactly that petty.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just saw this posted on Facebook: 

(...)

Hmm... is that a new role for Johnny Ace? In his previous stint in this job, his role was to be the bad guy, AKA "Vince really liked me, the problem was Johnny Ace". Who are all those people going to blame now? Nick Khan?

41 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

HOWEVER ----

If any of y’all actually really think that TAFKA Terra Ryzing will be fired and/or quit then you are working yourselves. He has been with Titan for 36 years, is a corporate officer and the head honcho’s son-in-law, fortheloveofDusty. He may be given yet another new title, but his place in the company will always be at the top. He has seen lots of shake-ups and knows to play the long game. If thee VKM steps down, and for whatever reason HHH is not placed in charge then, he’ll still be there waiting. There is a great chance he will eventually get the nod, whether or not it’s due to his tenure & record, nepotism/connections, or stockholder’s fiat.

c’mon now,

RAF

He might be waiting as long as Prince Charles then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, caley said:

Who was the last truly homegrown WWE talent that wasn't utter shit? Strowman? Even he fucking sucked at first to the point where HHH had to remind Vince it was only Strowman's 15th time in a ring. Braun eventually figured it out after some time, but he's also a special case.

My fear when Bruce was brought in and when Johnny Ace got his old job back was that we'd be right back in the period of having big dudes to just have big dudes and they would all suck. I guess Raw, SD, and most PPVs being nearly unwatchable at least drove me to the point where I rarely even watch so whatever changes they make won't matter much.

It just sucks because this was the wrestling promotion I grew up with. I'm going to be 41 this year and so my younger years were filled with watching Prime Time Wrestling every Monday, Superstars late Saturday, aunts and uncles ordering Survivor Series on Thanksgiving, going over to someone else's house to watch Wrestlemania, turning on the PPV channel and listening to whatever was happening on Summerslam while I played with action figures, and going to the Joyce at Notre Dame to see live WWE shows. Then later that turned into watching Raw every Monday, watching every PPV because we had a black box to watch that stuff for free, etc. When Nitro got going, I was still a WWF kid/teen even though I liked WCW a lot. I started high school in 95 and WWF made me think WCW sucked because they brought in all of these "older" guys like Hogan and Macho Man. Except, a lot of what I saw on Raw sucked too. Raw started getting better though, especially with Bret pushed more and more towards being a heel. Then Austin came along, the Rock exploded, and WWF was destination programming any night it was on. I couldn't get enough of it. I still remember flipping through TV Guides to see where the fuck I could watch Shotgun Saturday Night. Every once in awhile ECW would be on in syndication on a Chicago sports channel and that was mind blowing at the time and Shotgun Saturday Night looked like that. Anyway, the point is, I grew up with this shit and it was the best. Whenever it would get shitty, it would have a period of getting better. Now though, man, it's the worst ever and it's been the worst shit on TV for years now. Any sign that things would change, whether it be someone exciting being brought up, the McMahons actually telling people they know the show is bad and they're going to make it better, or whatever would be immediately followed up with the same old shit. It never changes. The product is more mature, but it's just as bad as it was when I was a kid and watching utter garbage like Mantaur and the Goon on my screen. You add to that all of the shit with Susan B. Komen, rallying behind the Ultimate Warrior in an obscene way, bringing back Hogan, all of the blood money from KSA, hording wrestlers, firing wrestlers, intentionally splitting up couples, Be A Star, sending belongings back in trash bags, rehiring the very people who made some of the worst WWE TV ever, and on and on and on and on and I can't support or watch this company anymore. It's fucking gross and they suck.

The shittiest part is that I'm taking my daughter to the Rampage at the United Center and she knows some of the AEW people, but she'll ask about Bayley and Sasha Banks not understanding why Bayley was a heel, why the same people keep fighting all of the time, etc. Even she doesn't understand the point of two people fighting over and over and over and over again. I'm hoping AEW becomes an avenue for her liking wrestling the way I liked WWF and WWE for so many years. Same goes for my daughter on the way. In the meanwhile, I will continue wanting WWE to be better than it is, but I just don't even think that's possible anymore. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

It's awesome when you learn something as a kid, from a fairy tale, and then you actually see that lesson happen in real life. 

This time, it's The Emperor's New Clothes.  NXT failed to beat AEW and none of the people who have been called up have been able to "grab that brass ring, pal!"  I'll write more on those things when I can find the motivation, but anyway, instead of really looking inward and tackling the hard issues with creative to actually figure things out and make it better, Vince's yes men came to the conclusion that the problem was NOT ENOUGH JAKKED UP DUDES.  The exact thing Vince would think.  What a bunch of fucking visionaries these guys are.

This would be like if I, a dude who loves filet mignon, ran a restaurant.  The restaurant is failing and my department heads, like the bar manager, the head cook, the procurement guy, the head waiter, etc., all tell me that the solution is to scrap the whole menu and come up with 15 filet mignon dishes.

My God, working for WWE at that level must be soul crushing.  Your only job is to remember exactly what one guy likes and then every idea you come up with must be exactly what he would do.  And you know that you'll be fired eventually, no matter what, so you're just passing time, kissing ass, hopefully saving your money, until your next firing.  Jesus.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

SummerSlam 2019. Only two years ago. Bray Wyatt reinvents himself as the presenter of kids show and as The Fiend, horror like character. Two different personas. A merchandise seller WWE fucked it up and released Bray Wyatt. Wyatt must be pissed at them. I'd damn sure be. When I think of the Fiend, it's always his first entrance at SummerSlam 2019. Wyatt carrying a macabre lantern of a decapitated head of his previous gimmick, Code Orange's reworking of Broken Out in Love and the white spotlights as Wyatt entered the ring. The holy shit chants said it all. This entrance was so much better than the red lights shortly added afterwards.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the answer is taller, more jakked dudes or a return to the last year of FCW/first years of NXT.  But I don't blame Vince for wanting to blow it up.  It seems like he gave Paul what he wanted in terms of money and autonomy and doesn't have a lot to show for it.  NXT is neither a viable third brand nor a reliable feeder system for the main roster nor a tool to use against AEW.  

He's probably looking at NXT and thinking it's not going to be worth much in the years ahead.  Not a lot of people (on NXT TV, at least) that seem like good bets to make the main roster, much less really make an impact on Raw or SDL.

Edited by Eoae

Some of them could be good in Impact. NXT is going to wind up being a really effective developmental for AEW, NJPW, ROH, Impact and a bunch of other indies. And it won't have cost any of them a penny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm 36 years old, lifelong fan since I was 5. I grew up on WWF, WCW and ECW. Some of my favourite childhood memories come from them. I kept watching WWE along with ROH, TNA, Pro Wrestling NOAH, NJPW and NXT. I'm glad there's alternatives to WWE in AEW and to a lesser extent NJPW as that's not what it was (2012-2018) because my interest in WWE is at an all time low. AEW is my favourite wrestling promotion since last year. It's so frustrating seeing the talent WWE has squandered having to row excrement creek uphill against the whims of a senile old man.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I don't think the answer is taller, more jakked dudes or a return to the last year of FCW/first years of NXT.  But I don't blame Vince for wanting to blow it up.  It seems like he gave Paul what he wanted in terms of money and autonomy and doesn't have a lot to show for it.  NXT is neither a viable third brand nor a reliable feeder system for the main roster nor a tool to use against AEW.  

He's probably looking at NXT and thinking it's not going to be worth much in the years ahead.  Not a lot of people (on NXT TV, at least) that seem like good bets to make the main roster, much less really make an impact on Raw or SDL.

Right, but NXT "failing" was always a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It started as "developmental," but then was transformed into a super indy because Vince was pissed at indies running shows on Mania weekend.  NXT was rebuilt to fight ROH, initially.  But "indy guys" aren't Vince's type of guy, so it's not like any call ups ever had a chance.  Then NXT was drafted into war against AEW because, in Vince's eyes, anything WWE has is better than the alternative.  Another "we have Santino!" scenario.  The sheer hubris of this guy!  "We have small, flippy guys here and it's WWE!  How could anyone want to watch anything else???"  So anyway, NXT was always at cross purposes and destined to fail.  You can't be a super indy designed to take eyeballs off indy wrestling while also developing superstars for an old dude with a size fetish.

The really funny thing is we were just talking in another thread about how wrestling is skewing smaller in general and how, due to changes in the culture of wrestling and the increase in the number of opportunities elsewhere, fewer big guys are gravitating toward wrestling.  I wish I could find the thread.  So yeah, really good idea from Vince and his sycophants to decide it's time to revive beefy boy wrestling.  I'm going to call my broker and invest in baby oil and chicken breast companies right away.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nearly everyone in NXT at the top or near the top would have a chance to be a star on the main roster if they didn't have the dumb as fuck edict that everyone working indy style had to learn NXT style and then has to learn the main roster style when you're on the main roster. That sort of homogenization is fucking dumb. It would also help if the creative weren't the absolute fucking worst and they would treat wins and losses like they actually mattered.

Again, look at Tommy End. Dude was a face in NXT and over as fuck. He got moved to the main roster where the big idea was to stick him in a chair in a room and wait for someone to fight him. HOW IS THAT GOOD?!? It took AEW all of 3 fucking weeks to make him into a star because anyone that isn't dumb as fuck can easily figure out how to use that guy. I don't want to hear this bullshit that people in NXT aren't destined to make it on the main roster when the fact of the matter is that they all could. Unfortuantely, the buck stops with Vince and he will stop at nothing to repeatedly shoot himself in the foot. A brand new promotion is nearly outdrawing WWE on TV and is outdrawing them on some live events already and they don't need big beefy dudes to do it and the big beefy guys they do have are fucking awesome, can work their asses off, and all work a different style. 

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1