DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

From what we already know about Ric Flair on the plane ride from hell, he was incredibly drunk, groped at least one flight attendant's breasts, pulled his dick out and showed that to another flight attendant, and...probably something else. Back then it was wrongly chalked up to, "oh, that wacky Ric Flair," but that's assault, brotha. What more could he have possibly done that we don't know about?

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

From what we already know about Ric Flair on the plane ride from hell, he was incredibly drunk, groped at least one flight attendant's breasts, pulled his dick out and showed that to another flight attendant, and...probably something else. Back then it was wrongly chalked up to, "oh, that wacky Ric Flair," but that's assault, brotha. What more could he have possibly done that we don't know about?

Did Schiavone tell the post Starrcade 90 story on 30 for 30? The pull my junk out thing and show it to people seems to be a recurring theme for Nature Boy. 

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The rumor is that the "Plane Ride from Hell" Dark Side of The Ring episode is fucking heavy and will delve into the sexual assault allegations against Ric Flair in a way the average fan hasn't heard before. That the release was WWE's call and not Ric's. I'm willing to entertain the conspiracy.

I'm sure the producers of DSotR want people to think the show so widely watched and culturally influential that the WWE would disassociate themselves from Ric to avoid a PR hit, but... yeah, I don't believe that at all.  Plenty about Ric and that flight has come out over the years.  If there was anything that incendiary out there, I think it would have come out by now or at least been rumored.  If there is something there, well, the WWE has buried it for well over a decade.  Guessing there wouldn't be much to corroborate it after all this time.  Someone is just working the marks to get more eyeballs on the show.  

More likely explanation is that Ric realized he may not be back on WWE tv again, and certainly won't get the sort of attention he craves on WWE TV.  Or Ric finally annoyed Vince to the point Vince felt like doing something about it.  Since they seem to be in cost-cutting mode, is there much upside to keeping Ric under contract, other than keeping Charlotte happy?  Do they make merch for Ric or put him in the video games?

21 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Did Schiavone tell the post Starrcade 90 story on 30 for 30? The pull my junk out thing and show it to people seems to be a recurring theme for Nature Boy. 

I'm not sure if it was on the 30 for 30, but Schiavone has definitely told that story and many other stories were Ric pulled out his dong.

• Like 2

Yep, and JR has said that many times as well.  There's one time in particular where I attended his one-man show and he would talk about Ric doing that on the plane.  To talk about Baltimore JR also pointed out that Ric did that upstairs at Sabbatino's to the waitresses.  So it led me to think that this was something Ric pretty much did in places he felt he could get away with it.

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I think Ric is probably a nice dude deep down. Very weird, but he’s a person who seems to do things without any malice. But he’s a walking disaster. 

He strikes me as the douchebag dude from 10th grade who generally grows out of this type of behavior by their mid-20s, except he's 72 and has never grown out of it.  Seriously, at 16 his behavior is a problem than needs to be addressed and corrected ASAP.  If you're a grown ass man behaving like that, you've made the decision not to correct that behavior.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

He strikes me as the douchebag dude from 10th grade who generally grows out of this type of behavior by their mid-20s, except he's 72 and has never grown out of it.  Seriously, at 16 his behavior is a problem than needs to be addressed and corrected ASAP.  If you're a grown ass man behaving like that, you've made the decision not to correct that behavior.

Part of the issue is Ric made his persona him and created no separation much like Savage and the Macho Man/Madness gimmick. Why stop this behavior when the feedback I'm given backs and supports it? He's actually doing shit The Nature Boy Ric Flair says in his promos and interviews. If people love that, why not actually do it? Unfortunately, that's the direct opposite of a correction.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

Since they seem to be in cost-cutting mode, is there much upside to keeping Ric under contract, other than keeping Charlotte happy?  Do they make merch for Ric or put him in the video games?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeNie-53M-0HMoNT4XAgB

I got this for Father's Day, and, yes, when I wear them it does make me want to pull out my dick.

woo,

RAF

• Haha 9

This is what gets me when Ric's falling out with Arn is discussed.  I guess "Arn never called when Reid died" is Ric's side of the story, but there's more to it than that.  Apparently they started falling out when Arn decided to have a family while Ric just wanted to keep on being Ric Flair.  So it's "I got a wife and kids I want to be with" vs "WOOOOO LETS FUCKIN PARTY," then Ric paints Arn as the bad friend who doesn't want to hang out anymore.

Ric seems like the kind of friend we all had at one point or another, the one who always has some drama or some outright shady shit going on, and is just so fucking tiresome to be around that you just give up.  The narcissist for whom everything and everyone revolves around him.  The kind you're always bailing out of some shit and then, the one time you don't, he thinks you're an asshole.  I mean for fuck's sake, the dude got into a fistfight with his own daughter in a hotel.  Eventually, that's the kind of friend you cut your losses with.  I have no idea what happened with the Arn/Reid situation but I don't doubt that Ric made more of it than it was because of his own narcissism and for the love of drama.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

This is what gets me when Ric's falling out with Arn is discussed.  I guess "Arn never called when Reid died" is Ric's side of the story, but there's more to it than that.  Apparently they started falling out when Arn decided to have a family while Ric just wanted to keep on being Ric Flair.  So it's "I got a wife and kids I want to be with" vs "WOOOOO LETS FUCKIN PARTY!" 

Ric seems like the kind of friend we all had at one point or another, the one who always has some drama or some outright shady shit going on, and is just so fucking tiresome to be around that you just give up.  The narcissist for whom everything and everyone revolves around him.  The kind you're always bailing out of some shit and then, the one time you don't, he thinks you're an asshole.  I mean for fuck's sake, the dude got into a fistfight with his own daughter in a hotel.  Eventually, that's the kind of friend you cut your losses with.  I have no idea what happened with the Arn/Reid situation but I don't doubt that Ric made more of it than it was for the love of drama.

Hasn't Arn been with his wife Erin since he was doing the loop in Pensacola? I know they use to party a lot as Horsemen but it's not Arn having a family would be an excuse for a recent falling out. Plus, he was an agent for awhile so it's not like you're going have a bunch of free time.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hasn't Arn been with his wife Erin since he was doing the loop in Pensacola? I know they use to party a lot as Horsemen but it's not Arn having a family would be an excuse for a recent falling out. Plus, he was an agent for awhile so it's not like you're going have a bunch of free time.

I don't think it was that recent, though.  I mean if Flair blames the Reid thing, that was like a decade ago.  I was probably unclear the way I wrote it initially.  I didn't mean Arn stopped the partying as soon as he got married.  I should have said "at some point, Arn's priorities changed and Ric's didn't."  That would have made more sense.  

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I don't think it was that recent, though.  I mean if Flair blames the Reid thing, that was like a decade ago.  I was probably unclear the way I wrote it initially.  I didn't mean Arn stopped the partying as soon as he got married.  I should have said "at some point, Arn's priorities changed and Ric's didn't."  That would have made more sense.  

I mean an aspect of the Flair/Piper storyline interaction when Piper came to WCW in 96 was based on that. Yes, that I can believe. It just seems weird to have that type of grudge when it's completely logical to act like someone who has responsibilities outside of leisure time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Funny to think they would keep Ric on the payroll to keep Charlotte happy, but release her husband. 

That's true, but wasn't it Andrade who wanted to GTFO and WWE eventually released him without a no-compete clause, possibly in order to keep Charlotte happy? I mean, I could remember wrong, or misunderstood something, but that's how I saw that situation.

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Funny to think they would keep Ric on the payroll to keep Charlotte happy, but release her husband. 

Eh, I dunno.  Ric seems like the sort of parent adult children have to spend a lot of time worrying about because they know he/she might do something dumb at any minute.  I wouldn't be too surprised if Charlotte realized Andrade could take care of himself without Vince's paycheck, but figured Ric might end up without an income if Vince cut him off.

I'm kinda speaking from personal experience here.  I have very loving parents who are financially stable and still able to care for themselves, but also have a decades-long history of making impulsive decisions and ignoring anything they don't feel like dealing with.  On some level, I worry more about them than my wife if something were to happen to me.  My wife is smart, capable, and successful.  She could manage without me if she had to.  Not so sure about my parents.

Edited by Eoae

I don’t know the details and there is probably issues on both sides, but I will say that when you lose a family member (especially your kid or spouse) you remember the people that reached out and the ones that didn’t. Even if I’m no longer close with someone that I used to be, I’d personally still reach out to give condolences. 

All that aside, most stories I hear involving Ric he comes off childlike. I do sympathize with his anxiety, depression, and agoraphobia. That’s not an excuse for actions like harassment though. I know people like Ric that have so many issues but at the same time need to be the life of the party. Self medicating with drugs and alcohol can lead to terrible things. Add on top potential narcissism and a feeling like you’re big enough to get away with anything and you end up with situations like the plane ride from hell. I’m rambling here. I didn’t know about the wiener stuff on the plane and I’m pretty bummed out. 

• Like 3

FWIW, Meltzer and Alvarez say the what they were told is that Ric texted Vince to complain about Charlotte's booking and gave Vince an ultimatum - "Fix it or I quit".  Vince, unsurprisingly, did not "fix it" so Ric quit.

Ric's supposedly been looking to get out of his contract for awhile, so there was some implication that Ric never expected Vince to do anything and just engineered the situation to give himself an excuse to quit.  That sounds idiotic, but so does a lot of what 'Naitch does and says.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You wonder how the nigh-invincble booking of Charlotte was not good enough for Ric, the guy who did lots of jobs for many less talented opponents. 

It seems like an odd hill for Ric to die on, unless he really was just looking for an excuse to get out from his contract so he could go somewhere and try to get back in the spotlight.