DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

1 hour ago, colonial said:

Per PWInsider, Jojo Offerman (partner of Bray Wyatt) was quietly released by the E several months ago.

It is strange that the WWE is all about "budget cuts" and they just now released someone who hasn't seen TV is maybe 3 years enjoying motherhood.   Either they were really worried about what Bray would think (and don't give a fuck now) or she was making peanuts

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If she hasn't been on TV in 3 years, why exactly was she employed there? Does she have an off camera role that doesn't immediately come to mind? Was she kept on the payroll just to appease Bray? 

MV5BOTUyMTI3NjQtYjY2ZS00ODRkLTk3ZTYtNGJh

Yeah, probably...

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 6:54 AM, Lawful Metal said:

With all these releases, who in the WWE would you still want to pay money to go see? 

Walter. 

Probably Becky. 

Maybe Finn.

That's about it. 

Gets to an interesting point about who or what constitutes a "draw" anymore. The days of going to The Garden specifically to see Bruno are gone, now If Sasha or Bayley where headlining a local Indy show I'd be interested but like others have said I'd probably pass on the expense of going to a 3-4 hour WWE event. I kinda feel that drawing is more about likeing the overall product of a certain show (RAW. SD!, AEW, IMPACT, ect) enough to want to buy a ticket or watch weekly more than any one wrestler. 

19 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

It's now or never, but I still want to see Bray as part of the Sullivan family. Decades ago Sullivan made a deal with the devil for the soul of Blackjack's grandson and he's come to collect.

Bo could be the new Maniac Mark Lewin. 

I saw Sullivan at a PCW Ultra show a couple years ago. He was the one person moving more gingerly than The Great Muta.

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

I saw Sullivan at a PCW Ultra show a couple years ago. He was the one person moving more gingerly than The Great Muta.

So he's winning the GHC when?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Sully is a regular commentator on our local fed SWE Fury...and with all due respect, he’s slipping pretty noticeably. Getting old sucks.

2 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

No “best wishes…” either.

Yep. Normally you get the best "best wishes in future endeavours" line so it's noticeable when it's not there. Biggest one that jumps out to me is POS Jack Gallagher.

15 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Sully is a regular commentator on our local fed SWE Fury...and with all due respect, he’s slipping pretty noticeably. Getting old sucks.

Remember that Raven/Jake Roberts/Kevin Sullivan discussion-style shoot interview, where Sullivan was sleeping throughout the entire thing? That was like 15 years ago already.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Good Stuff. I Can Sadly See Ric Flair In A Regular Match And Cinematic Match Also.

I'm hoping Ric only wants to be an on-screen authority figure or make personal appearances or something, but I don't think he would have asked for his release just for that.  I'm hoping he does a cinematic match with Sting or somehow ends up AEW champion for a day or something, but I feel like we're going to see Ric wrestling hardcore matches in high school gyms against local indie guys and bleeding a bucket.

Metlzer mentioned that Ric was sending Vince booking suggestions (for Charlotte).  That seems... annoying.  Ironically, I feel like Ric would book himself and Charlotte like Dusty and Bisch booked.  Charlotte would be the star even when she didn't have the belt, while anyone with any star power would feud with, I dunno, a possessed doll.

Oh, wait.

Edited by Eoae

The rumor is that the "Plane Ride from Hell" Dark Side of The Ring episode is fucking heavy and will delve into the sexual assault allegations against Ric Flair in a way the average fan hasn't heard before. That the release was WWE's call and not Ric's. I'm willing to entertain the conspiracy.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm curious as to whether this partially has to do with the firing of Susan Levision, who was the head of WWE Films.

Last year, Flair said in an interview that the WWE and Seven Bucks Production (that's The Rock's company) were collaborating to make a movie about his life. This obviously would've probably been a lucrative deal for Flair and, on top of that, potentially a legacy-making event. Done right, a Ric Flair movie could be a stupendous movie, arguably even Oscar-bait. 

But Levison was let go in the May mega-cuts, I'm guessing that the pandemic didn't help the film's chances of being made, and whose to say whether the film was ever really going to happen or just something Flair and his team had pitched and saw some initial interest in. What I could see happening, though, is Flair being approached or approaching other filmmakers/prodution companies who are more gung-ho about pulling it off. This isn't that uncommon in Hollywood where scripts and pitches are shopped around. Seven Bucks and WWE Films don't want to do it? Fine, we'll shop it to Clint Eastwood's production company or Will Smith's or Mel Gibson's or Ice Cube's or, fuck it, lets make it a comedy and see if Happy Madison or Gary Sanchez are interested. There are dozens and dozens of production companies and, like The Fighter, it doesn't hurt that ESPN already made a documentary about him that could serve as a script's blueprint.

Of course, this is all conjecture, but I can envision a scenario where Flair is trying to make money through a variety of ventures - from working more conventions and maybe even doing some international events, trying to get more endorsement deals, maybe selling his life's story rights (which could be the property of the WWE under a Legends Contract?), to even *gasp* wrestling again - and Vince feeling that Ric, as a contracted talent, can't do those things without his blessing. Then you throw in ill will over how Flair's been used on TV recently and Flair's own (arguably bloated) vision of his relevancy in today's landscape, Nick Khan's budget-trimming, Charlotte herself not wanting to do any more stories with him, and the potential impact of the Dark Side of the Ring story coming out and Flair comes off as totally expendable.