DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

What a moment, SummerSlam 2019. Wish they kept this original entrance for The Fiend rather than the red lights.

I was there live...that was quite the spectacle. 

It blows my mind that the guy who beat John Cena at last year's Mania got released. The guy who got to no sell everyone's offense. The guy who made Seth Rollins literally whimper in fear. Crazy. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The supernatural part is what doomed The Fiend, IMO. Look at the 2019 HIAC match with Seth Rollins. Rollins hit Fiend with everything: 11 curb stomps, stairs, toolboxes, ladders, sledgehammers, cartoon mallets. Nothing worked. How is a wrestler like that supposed to be booked to eventually lose? It was more heavy-handed than Taker when he was first introduced.

To go further, the Taker/Fiend comparisons were wrong. Taker was a much simpler gimmick. And he was introduced to us as a mythical being from the start. We had swamp preacher Bray first--who was dark and creepy, but had no particular powers. He becomes The Fiend and it worked at first, but it was always going to hit a snag when he had to wrestle and no-sold everything.

I think this is more on WWE creative/Vince than Bray. It was noticeable during the Miz and Bryan feuds that the Fiend was supposed to be more of a psychological character, including the feels no pain aspect.

Mick Foley accidentally called him Wade Bryant once. Not the worst name - better than the FTR ones - but maybe a bit to "Scott Nash" / "Randy Hogan". Too bad he doesn't have an established indy name to fall back on like Mox, Black and Brodie Lee did.

55 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The supernatural part is what doomed The Fiend, IMO. Look at the 2019 HIAC match with Seth Rollins. Rollins hit Fiend with everything: 11 curb stomps, stairs, toolboxes, ladders, sledgehammers, cartoon mallets. Nothing worked. How is a wrestler like that supposed to be booked to eventually lose? It was more heavy-handed than Taker when he was first introduced.

1,000% agree. The character is cool as hell. The way he was made to wrestle (regardless who made the decision) was a mistake. There's no where to go with a literal monster that can't feel pain. Should have toned down the no selling nature and dialed it back to purple Undertaker levels. Grey Undertaker worked mostly like a zombie. But once he "died" and came back as purple Undertaker (as a face) he sold a lot more. That was the perfect nexus for a monster character being able to have a match that makes sense still. When he was swamp Bray he had some solid to great matches. Mostly with Bryan on his side, against Bryan, and in six man tags. So he was definitely capable in ring. It just got muddied up.

Also a pet peeve of mine that made me hate the character's matches... the god damn colored lighting. It's just so unpleasant to watch. Especially the hyper HD red they used for him. That HIAC with Rollins had the red lighting, a red cell, and the super monster no selling combo. Add in a stupid finish and that match should really be brought up more for how much of a shit show it was.

9 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Wade Bryant

I really like this actually. It's the same deep Br sound as Bray and Wa is the same deep sound as Wy. The order is just reversed. Still ends in a hard T sound too. This is the best one that's been pitched in here so far as capturing the same deep ring announcer annunciations on the mic for his name.

Mick Foley is a genius, even when his he's misspeaking lol.

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The big mistake was not having the Wyatt Family take over WWE from the Authority somehow. I mean it probably would have been Steph possessed by Sister Abagail but …

That would have paid off the "Bring Down the Machine" T-shirts.

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I wonder how guys feel about that sort of stuff. They put someone over. Make all their moves look like death. And for what?

its no wonder the wwe can't create new stars. They shitcan anyone who gets over.

What's even worse is you could be right under Edge or Roman as far as placement on the card and still not be safe. Unless you did some really crazy shit or violated the Wellness policy, if you were high enough on card you'd be safe.

At this rate the roster is gonna be the size of the 95 Royal Rumble where damn near everyone on the roster was in that match.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I was there live...that was quite the spectacle. 

It blows my mind that the guy who beat John Cena at last year's Mania got released. The guy who got to no sell everyone's offense. The guy who made Seth Rollins literally whimper in fear. Crazy. 

Oh man, that would be a spectacle. No wonder the crowd chanted "Holy shit!" after The Fiend's entrance.

On the subject of Bray Wyatt and John Cena, Bray Wyatt really should have gone over at WrestleMania XXX years earlier.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Oh man, that would be a spectacle. No wonder the crowd chanted "Holy shit!" after The Fiend's entrance.

On the subject of Bray Wyatt and John Cena, Bray Wyatt really should have gone over at WrestleMania XXX years earlier.

Not to brag, but me and my boys splurged for a VIP box for that show?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ChnafgsT_/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

1,000% agree. The character is cool as hell. The way he was made to wrestle (regardless who made the decision) was a mistake. There's no where to go with a literal monster that can't feel pain. Should have toned down the no selling nature and dialed it back to purple Undertaker levels. Grey Undertaker worked mostly like a zombie. But once he "died" and came back as purple Undertaker (as a face) he sold a lot more. That was the perfect nexus for a monster character being able to have a match that makes sense still. When he was swamp Bray he had some solid to great matches. Mostly with Bryan on his side, against Bryan, and in six man tags. So he was definitely capable in ring. It just got muddied up.

I feel like in this paragraph you put in more thought about historical logic about a character than WWE "creative" has done in the past 15 years. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think theres room in the Venn Diagram to say both “i hope released wrestler lands on his feet “ and “I dont think said wrestler would he a good fit in a promotion” without being a jerk about it. The best example might be Hogan going to wcw in the mid 90s. 

In that particular case, it was Hogan who was being the jerk.

59 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

In that particular case, it was Hogan who was being the jerk.

Yeah. It was first and prob most  obvious example of a fanbase not wanting a particular worker in their home promotion. But extenuating circumstances ?

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

In case TK still reads the board, he can splash the cash and finally reveal the mastermind behind the Family was Kevin Sullivan. He ticks all the boxes for the legends on his payroll.

The Debbil poisoning the Mulligan kinfolk would probably be the best example of long-term storytelling in pro wrestling, ever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

The Debbil poisoning the Mulligan kinfolk would probably be the best example of long-term storytelling in pro wrestling, ever. 

After that, TK can bring in Baby Doll to show Cody what was in the envelope. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

After that, TK can bring in Baby Doll to show Cody what was in the envelope. 

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't the envelope supposed to have "controversial" (at the time) pictures of Dusty in some sort of compromising interracial situation? (Can you tell I'm trying to tiptoe around that? Lol). Having the contents of the envelope finally revealed today, considering who Cody is married to, would be.....something ??

You have to be Samoan and related to the Rock to not be released in the WWE. You can have multiple DUI's, fail some drug tests, but you will be fine.  

Part of me thinks they will do the same they did with Vega and try to bring him back for less $$. They have to see all the negative posts on social media.  

Imagine if  Raw gets hijacked by "Fuck Nick Khan" or "we want bray" chants. 

• Like 2