DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Since it came up a little bit in the thread - I thought I would mention this.

So a new episode of UNO with Da Party did debut today (for those unaware - Woods, Breeze, Cesaro and Adam Cole play Uno for UUDD) which was taped after Breeze's release.

They joked that Breeze was now "free" and Woods goes "Should we call you Matt now?" to which Breeze absolutely hated.

But they did seem to imply that they have no idea if Breeze is going to be allowed to still participate on the channel

On 6/30/2021 at 7:08 AM, caley said:

Wasn't there some story where Vince basically used him because "Everyone should have a good match with Dolph" so he's sort of the Vince litmus test to whether or not a wrestler is any good?

Great. Dolph is the new Tito Santana.

?

On 6/30/2021 at 10:52 AM, Shartnado said:

We had a discussion about people who used to be state of the art workers for a while only to find themselves becoming obsolete, or not so impressive by comparison. In addition to Scott Steiner and Brian Pillman, Ziggler's name came up. Yeah, look at the match he had with Rey Mysterio in SummerSlam 2009 and compare that to the throw away match the two had at a SD! prior to Backlash(?) this year. Not the insanely bumping physical specimen anymore. Neither of them, obviously. 

I don't deny he's a capable utility guy, but I'd be hard pressed to find a guy I look forward to seeing less than him at this point. It's good if the matches he has with the new NXT call-ups are dark matches, because Ziggler as anyone's first feud would be quite unappealing at this point.

The last time his matches rocked, were the tag matches with McIntyre vs Ambrose and Rollins. I have not seen his physical prime stuff against Morrison, Kofi et. al. nearly as much as I should have. Need to get to them sometime soon.

I think Brian gets a pass. He was in a horrible wreck that crushed his ankle. For a high flyer that is the worst possible thing that could have happened.  His promo work was still head and shoulder above any one else in the WWF at the time not named Steve Austin. 

• Like 1

Based on interviews - I forget which podcast - some months after the last time he was rumored to be leaving, my understanding is that WWE has repeatedly made offers that were too good for Dolph to pass up. We'll see if that happens again in this new climate, but I think it will.

I've always chalked it up to the "Vince McMahon's Toy Box" theory of WWE where Dolph Ziggler, whether its because of his amateur background, his look/physique, bumping ability, or some intangible/undefinable quality, is just one of those "toys" that Vince finds inexplicably precious. I find the "toy box" theory particularly apt because, as a kid, we all kinda had that toy - it wasn't usually the most popular toy, or the most expensive toy, or the toy that would impress your friends, or even the toy you played with the most, but even though that toy spent most of its life collecting dust or lost under your bed, if your parent ever wanted to donate it or give it to a sibling, you'd flip out. "But that toy is my favorite!" you'd cry, but it clearly wasn't...until you realized it could be taken from you and then it all of a sudden was worth a 7 figure deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I think Brian gets a pass. He was in a horrible wreck that crushed his ankle. For a high flyer that is the worst possible thing that could have happened.  His promo work was still head and shoulder above any one else in the WWF at the time not named Steve Austin. 

Sure at that point. We were talking about his last couple of years in WCW, where guys (from Scorpio and Liger onwards) started arriving, who made Pillman's high flying stuff seem rather mundane in comparison.

I may have actually preferred his mic work beyond Austin in '96-'97, but I don't think anyone would be such a dick as to say that post-wreck Pillman should have been able match high flying stuff with even the light heavyweight division of WWF at the time  (which was far from superb itself ) let alone WCW cruisers.

Without the wreck, the still able to go Loose Cannon would have been amazing, though. Even if his heart would have eventually given out like it did.

Edited by Shartnado
grammars
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 4:23 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I take umbrage with the idea that a n y t h i n g involving Dolph Ziggler ever "rocked".

On 6/30/2021 at 6:23 PM, Shartnado said:

Whaaa? Not even his "Megadeath" denim vest?

On 6/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That was so gross, I completely forgot that. Never forgiving that. 

sddefault-6.jpg

• Haha 1

Dave Mustaine formed Megadeth after being kicked out of Metallica, and chose the name purposefully because he wanted to make sure that whenever anyone was flipping through the albums at the record shop, they'd ALWAYS see the Megadeth record before they saw the Metallica one. He spelt it with only one A because the 80s was one of those eras where people spelt things wrong to make them look cool (like the 2000s were*).

Or possibly because the first time he drew the logo, he ran out of room on the page, and then thought it looked cooler spelt wrong. 

* To be fair, Death Leopard and Limp Biscuit are both rubbish looking names if you spell them right. Lincoln Park just seems like the name of a park, innit?

• Like 5

I've always appreciated the misspelling because cutting the name to an even eight letters gives a sense of balance to the logo. As someone who has made logos for multiple bands you tend to notice that stuff. 

Personally, I never had an issue that the seamstress that misspelled the name; I more have an issue with Dolph Ziggler, probably a fan of some REALLY bad music, claiming to like a band as good as Judas Priest ? When I saw him wearing that thing I thought of this:

Stewart Stevenson

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've always appreciated the misspelling because cutting the name to an even eight letters gives a sense of balance to the logo. As someone who has made logos for multiple bands you tend to notice that stuff. 

Personally, I never had an issue that the seamstress that misspelled the name; I more have an issue with Dolph Ziggler, probably a fan of some REALLY bad music, claiming to like a band as good as Judas Priest ? When I saw him wearing that thing I thought of this:

Stewart Stevenson

On my Cobra Kai kick I was properly introduced to Winger and after listening to them for a few months now, I finally understand that Stuart was actually right all along, and was in fact cooler than Beavis or Butt-Head!

And yeah, Beavis & Butt-Head making fun of Merciful Fate and Grim Reaper may have been amusing, but it was as incorrect an opinion then, as it remains today!

Edited by Shartnado
B&B-H didn't know shit about shit!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Stewart Stevenson

This came to mind:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I like how we assume it's Ziggler thatade his costume. They have a whole team of seamstresses.

Well, God bless the seamstress who chose proper orthography over attempted '80s "kewl"ness.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Dave Mustaine formed Megadeth after being kicked out of Metallica, and chose the name purposefully because he wanted to make sure that whenever anyone was flipping through the albums at the record shop, they'd ALWAYS see the Megadeth record before they saw the Metallica one.

Reminds me of the story that Linkin Park used to be called "Hybrid Theory."  Around the time the band released an album called "Linkin Park," someone decided they should flip the names so they'd be close to Limp Bizkit in the record bins.

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

Where do you even find a "megadeath" patch anyway?

Around the time World Cup Fever~! swept the US in the 90s, I worked with a slightly clueless girl who bought a hat to support one of the teams.  It said "Columbia."  Not Colombia, like the country, but Columbia with a U, which, coincidentally, is a Baltimore suburb.  Point is, there's lots of misspelled bootleg shit out there that unsuspecting folk will buy.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I never got the feeling CM Punk listened to good music either ? His Spotify is probably filled with metalcore, screamo bands, and Fat Wreck bands. Probably a good smattering of Youth Crew straightedge stuff too.

The fuck? I would say Rancid and Bouncing Souls are exactly in the realm of good music, but YMMV. CM Punk isn't a metalcore dude.

And what's wrong with Fat Wreck Chords?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Point is, there's lots of misspelled bootleg shit out there that unsuspecting folk will buy.

I can forgive WWE's seamstress misspelling Megadeth on a random patch that is one of dozens of pieces she's working on that day, and Dolph for just rolling with it since he probably got it an hour or so before heading to the ring.

It's not like Dolph went to a concert that Megadeth was playing at (along with Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax), and bought a bootleg shirt OUTSIDE THE SHOW that he was watching these bands at.

DGFGCl6VwAAl6Of?format=jpg

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The fuck? I would say Rancid and Bouncing Souls are exactly in the realm of good music, but YMMV. CM Punk isn't a metalcore dude.

And what's wrong with Fat Wreck Chords?

Okay, I admit, I was being a bit of a dick. I like some Epitaph and Hellcat bands, and can tolerate some Fat Wreck stuff and pop-punk in general. My best friends are huge pop-punk and even ska fans, actually; I'm probably even going with them to see Teenage Bottlerocket play at a local country bar (?!) in town soon. But the character of CM Punk? That leads me to think of way worse music. 

And now we need Fat Spanish Waiter to come in and answer the question! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

Hypothetically if all these releases are to lower costs and move WWE towards more of a "content provider" for NBC/Universal/Peacock do you think we could see a shift in the wrestling landscape where WWE becomes less of "The World Wide Leader" now that MLW, AEW and Impact all have tv deals? especially if some of the WWE cast offs are able to energize those brands?

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Hypothetically if all these releases are to lower costs and move WWE towards more of a "content provider" for NBC/Universal/Peacock do you think we could see a shift in the wrestling landscape where WWE becomes less of "The World Wide Leader" now that MLW, AEW and Impact all have tv deals? especially if some of the WWE cast offs are able to energize those brands?

Nah, WWE is a legit juggernaut with their resources, funds, roster, etc. Even with all of their cuts, they still have a giant roster not counting the NXT trainees and they keep signing more people.

I enjoy AEW but they still do silly stuff that comes off as bush league at times and they have in theory, tons of money to use towards making the product look better and avoiding those things.

WWE is still viewed as wrestling by a large majority of people. And anything else is seen as "bootleg" even AEW which in general is a good looking product.