DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

Despite the unfortunate last name I was always under the impression that he was pretty effective in bringing in NXT talent.  His name's been brought up many times in documentaries with numerous wrestlers thankful for him.  So if there's something that Dr. Tom is alluding to then that's news to me.

25 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer says that the WWE is claiming that Ceman is still with the company

Dutt left on his own (again per Dave)

Meltzer is the one that reported he was gone. It just got reported on their site this morning:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/canyon-ceman-sonjay-dutt-no-longer-wwe-345516

EDIT:

OK, Meltzer has since printed a retraction and apologized for the error. Well that's something at least.

Edited by TheVileOne

Watching uso vs dolph on smack down. With all the wrestlers and talent that have been let go, I see no justification for why dolph wasn’t one of them. What the hell does the dude even bring to the table anymore? He is the wrestling equivalent of watching paint dry. You had a window to do something with him years ago but that shit is CLOSED.I don’t get it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil4126 said:

Watching uso vs dolph on smack down. With all the wrestlers and talent that have been let go, I see no justification for why dolph wasn’t one of them. What the hell does the dude even bring to the table anymore? He is the wrestling equivalent of watching paint dry. You had a window to do something with him years ago but that shit is CLOSED.I don’t get it

He was ready to pursue other things the last time around  (or the one before that) when his contract came up, so maybe they just don't want to give him the opportunity to do so?

And hell, if that means he won't pursue stand-up comedy, for instance, they are doing people a favor. But yeah, even putting people over isn't really going to work, since beating Dolph Ziggler doesn't really mean much of anything at this point . 

• Like 1

I like Dolph but yeah, it's been 9 years at this point since they blew it with that guy. Granted, I haven't seen him in a while, but even as of 2/3 years ago I don't know if anyone else has ever needed a fresh coat of paint or a change of scenery quite as much. 

5 hours ago, Phil4126 said:

Dolph is Vince's utility guy.  Vince knows he came plug him into any situation and get what he wants out of him, and Dolph has been broken enough where he's not going to complain about his spot or anything like that.  

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Dolph is a good guy to have in the locker room or gets a bit of a pass from management for work ethic or something similar.  I'm assuming that, at least occasionally, backstage stuff like attitude figures into personnel decisions.  I feel like Dolph should be a candidate for the cut line just based on salary.  Apparently, he makes more than a lot of the guys released and the window for any serious push for him is probably long past.

That said, while I personally don't rate Dolph much higher than the middle of the pack, I'd probably keep him over the majority of the people cut lately.  And there are still a lot of people on the roster that I think bring less to the table than Dolph. 

Edited by Eoae

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

Dolph is Vince's utility guy.  Vince knows he came plug him into any situation and get what he wants out of him, and Dolph has been broken enough where he's not going to complain about his spot or anything like that.  

Wasn't there some story where Vince basically used him because "Everyone should have a good match with Dolph" so he's sort of the Vince litmus test to whether or not a wrestler is any good?

5 minutes ago, caley said:

Wasn't there some story where Vince basically used him because "Everyone should have a good match with Dolph" so he's sort of the Vince litmus test to whether or not a wrestler is any good?

Yeah, Ziggler is the guy Kross had his dark match against.  He's usually the guy they put with recently called up NXT wrestlers.

We had a discussion about people who used to be state of the art workers for a while only to find themselves becoming obsolete, or not so impressive by comparison. In addition to Scott Steiner and Brian Pillman, Ziggler's name came up. Yeah, look at the match he had with Rey Mysterio in SummerSlam 2009 and compare that to the throw away match the two had at a SD! prior to Backlash(?) this year. Not the insanely bumping physical specimen anymore. Neither of them, obviously. 

I don't deny he's a capable utility guy, but I'd be hard pressed to find a guy I look forward to seeing less than him at this point. It's good if the matches he has with the new NXT call-ups are dark matches, because Ziggler as anyone's first feud would be quite unappealing at this point.

The last time his matches rocked, were the tag matches with McIntyre vs Ambrose and Rollins. I have not seen his physical prime stuff against Morrison, Kofi et. al. nearly as much as I should have. Need to get to them sometime soon.

Edited by Shartnado
Typos corrected
  • Like 1

During his first few years on the main roster, Ziggler bumped like a guy who was going to break down his body prematurely.  

Lol, that's probably why he doesn't bump like that anymore.

I cringe watching Rey still take worse bumps than he has to.  The face-first baseball slide to the floor shouldn't be a regular part of his moveset, but it is.

In general. I wouldn't have minded if Rey had done what he said he was going to do in a WCW sit-down interview and had made a million and retired by 30.  He said he didn't want to be one of those guys who stays in the business until he can't go and beats himself up to the point he jeopardizes his long-term health.

Well, he can still go but I'm guessing he's not going to be feeling to healthy in his 50's and 60's.

I don't know when his kids were born off the top of my head but I would think at the time of the interview Rey didn't realize what plans he would have.  Life changes and so do the goals.  So while Dominic isn't up to par yet I do like that he changed his mind over time from retiring long ago to winning the tag titles with him.  To give up his own goals of going elsewhere and put up with whatever to help his son makes me think very highly of him as a father.

As for Dolph there was a time where I liked him but it was when he seemed to give a shit.  Nowadays he seems to be fine with just collecting a paycheck being a utility player.  I don't fault him for that if it's steady pay but I'll still fast forward through anything he's in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As for Dolph there was a time where I liked him but it was when he seemed to give a shit.  Nowadays he seems to be fine with just collecting a paycheck being a utility player.  I don't fault him for that if it's steady pay but I'll still fast forward through anything he's in.

Dolph's situation is odd.  i agree that he often seems to be just going through the motions, but, on the other hand, he seems to have outside interests he wants to pursue when his wrestling career is over.  There seemed to be a real chance he would just walk away after each of his last two contract negotiations but he re-signed.

Metzer and Alvarez were talking a few weeks ago about how they thought Ruby Riott was just going through the motions near the end of her run.  If that's true, eh, i can live without seeing her again.

• Like 1