DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That'll teach those disobedient wrestlers if they think they can keep a steady income! 

So when do you think it would be ok to release Ever-Rise?  Next year?  Five years from now?  After the kid graduates college?  They didn't seem to have much use for Ever-Rise beyond comedy jobbers on the developmental show, so it seems inevitable that they were going to have to be released eventually.  Meltzer doesn't think they would have ever gotten a call-up.  So...how long do you think they should stay on the roster.

Speaking of Meltzer, Alvarez was stunned when Dave told them Parker and Matthews were in their late 30's,  I guess he doesn't remember they were working Chikara and the Canadian indies by 2005 or thereabouts.

The reality is WWE has too many guys under contract.  I was stunned to learn they apparently had 350+ guys on various rosters.  Even with 8 hours of tv a week, you aren't going to be able to utilize even 1/3  of that number.   Hell, you aren't going to be able to develop and train anywhere near that number, even if you resume something resembling a full touring schedule.

I feel like maybe the solution should have been to never sign this many in the first place. I get that they had their reasons - keeping people away from AEW and other competitors, plans to develop the women and cruisers that never amounted to much - but they signed a lot of people that were probably longshots to get over on the main roster, had minimal value to AEW, etc.  They started stockpiling talent because they could and got a little carried away.  Problem is, I don't really believe Tony Neese or the Bollywood Boys would have made as much money or been better off if they never signed and spent the past 5-10 years working TNA, Evolve, Canadian indies, etc.  There's a reason workers keeping signing with the WWE it's usually the money. 

• Like 1

Allegedly, there are more trainees working out at the WWE PC, than there are lockers in the locker rooms at the WWE PC.

In other news, they might be signing Jamie Hayter today. NXT UK needs another woman now Doughdrop is gone.

I’d be interested to see Bollywood Boyz get some work in AEW as Dark talent.  AEW has the deepest well of tag teams right now, and I’d be interested to see how they stack up.  I don’t know that I ever got a really clear picture of that in their WWE run, but they seem well respected by their peers, so there must be something there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

In other news, they might be signing Jamie Hayter today. NXT UK needs another woman now Doughdrop is gone.

Didn't she turn them down back 2019? Wonder if this is happening because of the pandemic or Bea probably going there.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

All I was saying is that firing a guy who just had a kid is pretty fucking low. 

Do you think the people who decided to fire him had any idea he had a kid on the way? Based off of everything that has been said about these firings in relation to Nick Khan I'm going to guess part of the reason he is charge of this is because he can look at it from a business perspective since he likely knows little about these people beyond what cost vs. what the bring to the promotion.

37 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Didn't she turn them down back 2019? Wonder if this is happening because of the pandemic or Bea probably going there.

Probably losing out on a year of her career to the pandemic and prospects of returning to Stardom/Japan not very likely anytime soon.  She doesn't have much of a choice.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Do you think the people who decided to fire him had any idea he had a kid on the way? Based off of everything that has been said about these firings in relation to Nick Khan I'm going to guess part of the reason he is charge of this is because he can look at it from a business perspective since he likely knows little about these people beyond what cost vs. what the bring to the promotion.

Then maybe as an employer he should learn about his personnel so he doesn't end up stepping in it like that. And I'm sorry but I just don't buy this entire idea of "we hired this guy to make the hard decisions", because they don't have to make the hard decisions. They're rich. They can wipe their asses with the money they have. They don't have to fire anybody. And if their paranoia wasn't so through the roof they wouldn't have hired anyone to fire in the first place. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

All I was saying is that firing a guy who just had a kid is pretty fucking low. 

I don't entirely disagree, but firing people is occasionally part of my job, and from experience, I can tell you that most employees have someone or something depending on their paycheck.  No one lives in a vacuum.  Most of my employees have kids or mortgages or ex-wives and spousal support payments, parents who live them them, etc.  Or they're fresh out of college and just moved to town and don't have a lot in savings and they're trying to pay off their student loans, make rent, and save for a ring so they can propose to their girlfriend.  I dunno how I can justify firing a person with a mortgage and a renovation her husband just started working on so the guy with a young kid can keep his job instead.  Or should everyone keep their jobs forever?

I can't speak for everyone, but i feel like my employees understand the deal.  They've got a job as long as the firm can use, can afford to pay them, thinks their work is up to expectation, etc.  I'd be surprised to learn anyone in the office thought the firm was offering lifetime employment or was going to keep them on payroll if the work ran out,   

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't they fire Maria and Mike Kanellis when Maria was pregnant?

Edited by AxB

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

Didn't they fire Maria and Mike Kanellis when Maria was pregnant?

Wiki sez Maria gave birth in Feb. of last year.  The Kanellis’ were let go in April.

it’s worth noting that, prior to being released, they were lobbying for their release on social media (then criticized WWE for releasing them during a pandemic).

is firing someone with a new kid/kid on the way shitty? yes. but it's not the company's job to fire you at the best time *for you*.

alternately, it's not like these guys have (theoretically) legally-binding contracts for a specific amount of time or anything....

• Like 1

If wrestlers don't want to get fired when they have a child on the way, they can collectively bargain that into their contracts. I feel bad for the folks that it happens to, but they know what the remedy to the issue is. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Then maybe as an employer he should learn about his personnel so he doesn't end up stepping in it like that. And I'm sorry but I just don't buy this entire idea of "we hired this guy to make the hard decisions", because they don't have to make the hard decisions. They're rich. They can wipe their asses with the money they have. They don't have to fire anybody. And if their paranoia wasn't so through the roof they wouldn't have hired anyone to fire in the first place. 

Cue Todd from Breaking Bad talking to Uncle Jack : "No matter how much you got, how do you turn your back on more?"

Corporate America in a nutshell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

There is something about the ultra shitty ads that run during RoH that makes them look more low rent than NWA. I'm talking about the leg wraps or pain pads or whatever the hell they are.

I totally forgot about the MGS boondoggle. Hmm, MGS Boondoggle should be the name of a PWG show. Anyway, I forgot all about that, the Kelly Klein lawsuit, and Joey Mercury being a whistleblower. Then again, practically a mountain of shit was shoveled on all of us last year, so forgetting about all of that stuff makes sense.

I think the Jay Lethal stuff was forgotten. Didn't he hit on Kelly and another girl? The one from House of Truth (why can't I remember he name, smoke show)

Have to wonder if Dalton Castle wasn't with ROH would he be in the Orange Cassidy spot??  A Dalton-Orange feud would be fun. 

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I think the Jay Lethal stuff was forgotten. Didn't he hit on Kelly and another girl? The one from House of Truth (why can't I remember he name, smoke show)

Taeler Hendrix?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Have to wonder if Dalton Castle wasn't with ROH would he be in the Orange Cassidy spot??  A Dalton-Orange feud would be fun. 

I doubt it, seeing as he's physically shot. 

I saw Castle on ROH TV during the Pure title tournament and just fell down memory lane.  He was the indy "gimmick guy" long before we had Danhausen, Warhorse, Cassidy, etc., and he was just white hot.  I remember him working a six man in PWG where it was supposed to be Cole & The Bucks vs Castle and The Boys and Red Dragon came out dressed as The Boys to work the match.  It was amazing.  He was over as fuck.  Anyway, what I'm getting at is he had a great gimmick and was on fire.  Then ROH put the belt on him way too late, he had a bunch of injuries, and time seems to have just passed him by.  Wrestling is crazy.

• Like 2