DVDVR Message Board

The 2021 WWE Forever Purge - Part 3 of ?

Gonzo

It is very corporate to fire the person telling people that she had no knowledge of the product then firing the person who thought hiring someone with no wrestling experience was a great idea

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It is very corporate to fire the person telling people that she had no knowledge of the product then firing the person who thought hiring someone with no wrestling experience was a great idea

"Those responsible for sacking the people who have been sacked, have been sacked." And then replaced by llamas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yeah, but to get a writing gig for, let's say General Hospital, you don't have to be externally familiar with the show they put on TV.  If they think your writing samples are good, if they think your sense of humor, story, or language, works for them... they literally do not care.  

She doesn't know the WWE?  Okay.  Is she funny?  Can she write a funny sketch for them?  What ideas does she have for [[blank character]] that theycan fit into their characters?  

Writing gigs are extremely high turnover. Because even when you hire someone you think is going to be great, a show will cut bait nearly instantly if the producers think the writer isn't a good fit.  

Did she do herself any favors by admitting her ignorance on a podcast?  Probably not... But this isn't another "the WWE is pure evil" story. 

EDIT -- To wit...

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, but to get a writing gig for, let's say General Hospital, you don't have to be externally familiar with the show they put on TV.  If they think your writing samples are good, if they think your sense of humor, story, or language, works for them... they literally do not care.  

I sort of agree, but writing for General Hospital isn't much different than writing for the Blacklist or a sitcom.  And, generally, if you get a job writing for a network soap or primetime show, you have some sort of experience.  Been to film school, took screenwriting classes, gotten published in another medium, interned for a production company, etc.  You don't know the characters or storylines, but you have some idea how to write a usable script for an hourlong tv show.

Writing for the WWE is probably very different.  Guessing the learning curve was probably considerable even if all she really needed to do was learn names and characters.  That would still be a lot to keep track of for someone not in the business.  

In any case, broadcasting how little she knew about the product probably wasn't a great idea.  Right or wrong, Vince has proven in the past (two months. lol) how much patience he has for something like that.  

39 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, but to get a writing gig for, let's say General Hospital, you don't have to be [b]externally familiar with the show[/b] they put on TV.  If they think your writing samples are good, if they think your sense of humor, story, or language, works for them... they literally do not care.  

She doesn't know the WWE?  Okay.  Is she funny?  Can she write a funny sketch for them?  What ideas does she have for [[blank character]] that theycan fit into their characters?  

Writing gigs are extremely high turnover. Because even when you hire someone you think is going to be great, a show will cut bait nearly instantly if the producers think the writer isn't a good fit.  

Did she do herself any favors by admitting her ignorance on a podcast?  Probably not... But this isn't another "the WWE is pure evil" story. 

EDIT -- To wit...

I don't disagree here in terms of being overly familiar with all plotlines/characters but you should probably know the name of what amounts to the most important character on the show you're writing for. "I've got some great ideas for Michael Schott...or Scott...I don't know. He works at some Dunder Muffin place." This isn't her getting confused about Jackson Ryker's name or something, Lashley's basically the guy you're building every show around and you never bothered to learn his name?!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, caley said:

I don't disagree here in terms of being overly familiar with all plotlines/characters but you should probably know the name of what amounts to the most important character on the show you're writing for. "I've got some great ideas for Michael Schott...or Scott...I don't know. He works at some Dunder Muffin place." This isn't her getting confused about Jackson Ryker's name or something, Lashley's basically the guy you're building every show around and you never bothered to learn his name?!

I submitted all these great scenarios about David Brent. Why didn't they like any of them? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1