DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Night Dynamite - 6/26/2021

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I’m not usually one to join the line and state my daily grievances against the Elite.  I have to comment on the Young Bucks’ wrestling style or apparent lack thereof.

-They do so many power moves against opponents who should be throwing Matt & Nick around.  In any of the big Bucks’ matches.,,

- Matt does the Road Warrior double clothesline against two opponents - who are almost always much larger than the Bucks

-I assume it is Matt again because rolling Northern Lights Suplexes is the kind of power spot that he seems to love performing.

- Matt will double suplex the challengers in almost every match.  Worse yet is that he blocks BOTH opponents only to double suplex them himself.  

- They kick out of more finishes than the entire All Japan roster during the 1990s.

-Can they maybe TRY and lift a weight or two  on occasion.  They look so soft and doughy for guys who are supposed to have graduated to heavyweight a few years ago in NJPW.  

- They always  ALWAYS go five to ten minutes too long.  They did that every time in PWG as well.  Years ago I thought it was a PWG staple that a great match gets downgraded to something less.  This all because they can have an exciting match with the perfect ending stretch.  They avoid perfection on principal just to get 5-10 more minutes of near falls and almost unbelievable saves after numerous death blows have been used up.

I don’t dislike the Bucks as a rule.  Nor do I think the heel act is growing thin.  They can be perfect for jr heavyweight tag team matches in New Japan or when they were young yet still brash yet even still underdogs in the classic sense.  Often though their big match will be full of spots that break the logic of pro wrestling.

If I had my way #FTR would be having the long run as AEW World Tag Team Champions the Young Bucks are on. I've always preferred #FTR to the Bucks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2021 at 4:09 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

And when did Miro become the BEST PROMO IN THE WORLD? It's like if Nikita Koloff was an actual insane Lithuanian dude meets what children on Reddit (who have watched >10 Minoru Suzuki matches) think subtitled Minoru Suzuki promos sound like meets that one Key and Peele MMA sketch. If this version of Miro were the bad guy in any 80's action movie he would be more memorable than any protagonist. We need to name a constellation after him.

That MMA skit is what I think anytime Miro mentions god giving him strength. He comes off like such a true psycho without having to resort to screaming too often, he reminds me a bit of Chong Li from Bloodsport for some reason. Getting him away from Kip was the best move they they could have ever done. I agree that he feels like the Lesnar of AEW, like the unbeatable secret boss you get in a game AFTER you beat the final boss.

The show was pretty good tonight, with a great opening match (probably Hobb's best singles match). Loved the Buckshot being countered into the spinebuster, I thought that was gonna be the ending for sure and they were gonna continue the story of Team Taz defeating Hangman. They kinda missed the shot tho which annoyingly happened a lot last night, missing good spots because the director was focused on other people randomly brawling on the outside.

Main event was amazing stuff and had a big match feel, I know I was HYPED. Came off like a big deal. As someone says, Jungle Boy has to win his next big match like this, maybe for the TNT Title?

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Infinit said:

I'm drawing a blank...who is Jungle Boy's best friend that works in WWE?

But if you search twitter for Jake Atlas Jungle Boy, you get lots of posts from 2019 in which people wonder if they're romantically involved or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Echo’ing the Miro as Emerald Weapon sentiment. I recall a lot of (valid) discussion here about whether he as a pure WWE system product would succeed away from it. He’s turned himself into one of the best in the world after a year of Lashley bullshit followed by Kip bullshit. The man is Teflon.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

Miro didn't start his training in the WWE PC, he was already trained when he went there. He was at a school in California, that's how he's in the video for that terrible RVD song.

I have approximately zero interest in trying to change anyone's mind on Hangman and his storyline. Their mind isn't going to be changed, so what the fuck is even the point. I'm more than happy with the direction of the build to Kenny vs Hangman. Usually I catch all of the little things, but this one slipped past me, probably because I didn't start watching Saturday's Dynamite until around midnight.

There are fewer stories in wrestling right now that I'm as all in on as Hangman dethroning Kenny and doubting himself along the way. Little things like this, winning a huge match and then realizing, fuck, I'm close to being #1 contender again, say more than any 5 or 10 minute promo ever could. 

• Like 7

I love the subtlety in Hangman's acting throughout his whole arch, it's been tremendous. He's not the most outspoken/loud/overdramatic wrestler out there so all these little shows of emotion come off as a lot more genuine than the usual. 

• Like 6

Everything's been said so here's some random-ass bullshit:

Bear Bronson has some damn nice bear-themed tattoos.  That's some excellent commitment to the gimmick.

I'm so thankful that Omega/Jungle Boy ended clean.  What a match.  This is Ric Flair in '86 making your local star look like the second best guy in the world before beating him.  This is Ric Flair in '88 letting Sting take him to the limit in order to get him to the next level.

Now all that being said, AEW has to follow through.  If we don't see JB in the ring again for a month and then he's teaming with slo-mo Stan Lane the Dinosaur, that's a massive miss.

The Bucks have taken the irritating heal act that first got them over, turned it up, and broke off the knob.  I love it.

Bunch of size queens around here bitching because the Bucks are "not physically imposing."  My dudes, WWE is back on that Johnny Ace hiring criteria, so your need for believeable-looking wrestlers who pass the airport test, like Renee Dupree, Shawn Stasiak, and Mason Ryan, will be fulfilled elsewhere very soon!

Who honestly thinks the Bucks, as arrogant asshole heels, won't get their comeuppance?

Why is Hangman Page destined to always be the guy who gets hardway Juice in the opener?

Miro, man.  Fucking Miro.  Awesome.

JR drooling over how Ethan Page is 225 "but his frame could easily support 240" is a really gross thing that I could write a lot of words over but really just don't feel like it.  Motherfucker talks about human beings like breeders talk about racehorses.

Jungle Boy's lariat looks a lot like Barry Windham's and that's wonderful.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

Miro's promos are Exhibit A in why heavy scripting is bad. He's not a perfect speaker, but his authenticity and intensity makes everything, and now he's found his rhythm where his promos are always among the highlights of the show. AEW was also very good about protecting him while he was slumming it with Sabian and the Best Friends so his transition to champion has felt very natural.

Kenny/Jungle Boy was really good too. It felt like back when Kenny was just with the Good Brothers and Callis. He was obnoxious, but still carried himself as a credible champion in the ring who could win without excessive cheating. Jungle Boy stepped up to the moment, but Kenny had the tools and experience to keep going higher. Felt like Roman Reigns' line "you wanna step up to this level, well I live at this level" come to life in match form.

• Like 5

It isn't "The Airport Test." It's the "could I whip this motherfucker inside of five minutes?" test. And neither of the Bucks come close to passing. There are small dudes in wrestling I absolutely believe are killers. Bryan, Kyle O'Reilly, PAC, Ciampa, KENTA, and I'm sure about a hundred Japanese guys I've never seen before. Guys who look like they've seen the inside of a gym. Nick and Matt Ellsw- I mean, Jackson, are products of an era where kayfabe is completely dead, so let's just see people do cool shit.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

It isn't "The Airport Test." It's the "could I whip this motherfucker inside of five minutes?" test. And neither of the Bucks come close to passing. There are small dudes in wrestling I absolutely believe are killers. Bryan, Kyle O'Reilly, PAC, Ciampa, KENTA, and I'm sure about a hundred Japanese guys I've never seen before. Guys who look like they've seen the inside of a gym. Nick and Matt Ellsw- I mean, Jackson, are products of an era where kayfabe is completely dead, so let's just see people do cool shit.

Saying you think they don't look tough enough to beat Kingson & Mox? Cool.

You saying you could kick their ass inside of five minutes? Fucking dumb fantasy land shit dude.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 hours ago, AxB said:
But if you search twitter for Jake Atlas Jungle Boy, you get lots of posts from 2019 in which people wonder if they're romantically involved or not.

Probably because the shippers have a lot of bait to work with. (And, let's be real, they'd be adorable.)

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

JR drooling over how Ethan Page is 225 "but his frame could easily support 240" is a really gross thing that I could write a lot of words over but really just don't feel like it.  Motherfucker talks about human beings like breeders talk about racehorses.

Well, JR spent his entire adult life as a talent evaluator / scout in pro-wrestling. It's in his blood. It's not like Ethan Page is Dynamite Kid or Eddie Guerrero where that extra 20# of muscle ruined him. Every sport does the same thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Probably because the shippers have a lot of bait to work with. (And, let's be real, they'd be adorable.)

And strangely, a few hours after I post that, Jungle Boy tweets a picture that very strongly hints he's dating Anna Jay.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
17 minutes ago, AxB said:

And strangely, a few hours after I post that, Jungle Boy tweets a picture that very strongly hints he's dating Anna Jay.

In fairness, that's also adorable, as the photographic evidence posted confirms.

59 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Well, JR spent his entire adult life as a talent evaluator / scout in pro-wrestling. It's in his blood. It's not like Ethan Page is Dynamite Kid or Eddie Guerrero where that extra 20# of muscle ruined him. Every sport does the same thing. 

Yeah, especially combat sports like MMA. You would hear speculation about how Jon Jones had the frame to fight heavyweight or how guys should move up or cut weight depending on their performances.

I don’t understand hating on JR for this (other than just hating JR to JR) he’s just treating it like a legitimate sport. If it was a legitimate sport Page would want to get to the top and the analysts theorize on what he needed to do to get there. Him adding some size would actually improve his presentation and compliment his in ring style even more, so it’s not like it was unreasonable either.

And the Young Bucks don’t need to get bigger, they need to get leaner (especially Nick). And ironically, the average viewer would think that they had gotten bigger if they did that too.

Edit: It looks like Jungle Boy got his big win after all. Has to be the people’s champion now, certainly mine.

Edited by Bryan

47 minutes ago, eikerir said:

E4_BpFrWYAAkRhh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Jungle Man

Dayum. That is a grip he's got there. 

Also, it's probably just me, but I would want my privacy in a moment like that. Good for him though. Hope it lasts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

14 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yeah, especially combat sports like MMA. You would hear speculation about how Jon Jones had the frame to fight heavyweight or how guys should move up or cut weight depending on their performances.

I don’t understand hating on JR for this (other than just hating JR to JR) he’s just treating it like a legitimate sport. If it was a legitimate sport Page would want to get to the top and the analysts theorize on what he needed to do to get there. Him adding some size would actually improve his presentation and compliment his in ring style even more, so it’s not like it was unreasonable either.

And the Young Bucks don’t need to get bigger, they need to get leaner (especially Nick). And ironically, the average viewer would think that they had gotten bigger if they did that too.

Edit: It looks like Jungle Boy got his big win after all. Has to be the people’s champion now, certainly mine.

The difference is it's not a legitimate sport and when JR is talking about how guys need to put on mass, he's most likely talking about getting on steroids.  I don't think that's a harsh thing to infer, since he spent years doing just that for Vince. 

This is not MMA, and getting bigger for wrestling means something entirely different.  There is no performance gain, in kayfabe, that Ethan Page would realize if he had bigger pecs or sculpted shoulders. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1