DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Night Dynamite - 6/26/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I knew I wasn't crazy! 

They're very relaxing! You leave me alone!

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Hangman & I would just hold each other and cry.

Not if I get to him first, big fella.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Jungle Boy doesn't pass your weird test either. Unless we're going with "but he has abs!" as a reason for him being tough or whatever it is you're trying to say here.

Jungle Boy hasn't manhandled wrestlers 6 inches taller and 80 lbs heavier than him regularly either, and wrestles a style that makes sense for a guy his size. 

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

It’s not a legitimate sport but the beauty of wrestling is when you invest in it and forget about it when you’re watching. You can’t do that if they don’t treat it seriously.

And AEW treats its product like it’s a legitimate sport, they rank the wrestlers based on the quality of their wins and losses (and people don’t win matches via hypnosis), so the announcers should treat it seriously too. 

JR complimenting a guy and saying he has the frame to be bigger is not handing the guy a needle. And AEW apparently doesn’t actually drug test, so anybody could be on anything anyway. Considering how almost everyone in the UFC got smaller post USADA, we’d probably be surprised how many people were using stuff.

Kenny definitely got a lot smaller in AEW. 

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Kenny definitely got a lot smaller in AEW. 

This is one of those weird questions that won't be answered until most of today's active wrestlers are retired - has it been harder to aquire steroids during the pandemic? I don't know a tactful way to say this, but this roster does steroids. Just like every other pro wrestling roster in history. There's been enough chatter about guys looking schlubby in this thread and I kinda gotta wonder if it's a symptom of COVID's effect on what's essentially part of the drug trade. International restrictions and all that.

On 6/27/2021 at 9:13 AM, SturmCRF said:

I'm sure I'm not, but sometimes I feel like one of the only people who thinks Kenny Omega is fantastic, and one of the best wrestlers in the world despite his various much discussed irritating habits, while The Bucks are unbearable one trick ponies who look like they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. I know both those opinions separately are quite widely held, but it's mad how rarely they get expressed together, considering that they're objectively the correct ones.

I pretty much completely agree with this I think Kenny can be great (like he was on Saturday night) but he also tries a bit hard to cram everything into a match at times. I certainly see the critiques others have of him.

I see less and less appeal in the bucks as time goes on, they really should try to be smaller bumping cheating heels not bad asses. And I hate that the tag rules go out the window when they appear.

As for quickies title reigns/surprise title changes; I really like AEW philosophy of not hot shooting the belts around. but the other side of that was when 2 outta 3 falls world title matches in the 50's would go to 2 falls. Do it just enough that the fans think it can happen. For as much of a non-fan of how the WWE handles belts I'm also not a fan of John Cena in his specialty The Forgone Conclusion Match 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, just drew said:

It isn't "The Airport Test." It's the "could I whip this motherfucker inside of five minutes?" test. And neither of the Bucks come close to passing. There are small dudes in wrestling I absolutely believe are killers. Bryan, Kyle O'Reilly, PAC, Ciampa, KENTA, and I'm sure about a hundred Japanese guys I've never seen before. Guys who look like they've seen the inside of a gym. Nick and Matt Ellsw- I mean, Jackson, are products of an era where kayfabe is completely dead, so let's just see people do cool shit.

tumblr_ncu9e3kdRo1sg99p0o1_1280.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is one of those weird questions that won't be answered until most of today's active wrestlers are retired - has it been harder to aquire steroids during the pandemic? I don't know a tactful way to say this, but this roster does steroids. Just like every other pro wrestling roster in history. There's been enough chatter about guys looking schlubby in this thread and I kinda gotta wonder if it's a symptom of COVID's effect on what's essentially part of the drug trade. International restrictions and all that.

I think most of my questions about Kenny's physique would be down to wear and tear and what effect that may be having on him, honestly. But this is also an interesting line of thought. Not that I'm looking to judge him too harshly or anything. He continues to present himself admirably and deliver in the ring. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 7:30 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

Honestly... With how Miro is performing he is damn near at the Lesnar level of "who in the world could realistically best him?".

Anyone smart enough to repeatedly dropkick him in the knees to destroy his vertical base?  

I wouldn't take the belt of of Miro anytime soon, but I definitely don't believe that certain wrestlers are just unbeatable.   The trick is to protect Miro even in defeat and that's one thing that WWE did not do when he was Rusev.

Edited by J.T.

I loved the show a lot but am just glad to see an 8-page thread again.  And man catching up on this I'm highly amused at all the weird directions this went.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Anyone smart enough to repeatedly dropkick him in the knees to destroy his vertical base?  

I wouldn't take the belt of of Miro anytime soon, but I definitely don't believe that certain wrestlers are just unbeatable.   The trick is to protect Miro even in defeat and that's one thing that WWE did not do when he was Rusev.

Rusev also had the audacity to get over on his own. See: Ryder, Zack. I got to see Rusev live twice, that was cool.

Remember when Omega went from great shape to ridiculous shape for his Dominion title win over Okada? He spoke extensively of pushing himself but he could've used some help too. 

• Like 1