DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Night Dynamite - 6/26/2021

Dolfan in NYC

21 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

How to turn heel in one photo. Lucky bastard.

ugh. Youth is wasted on the young…

Cue up new #BTE skits where the Dark Order act like protective big brothers…by beating the shit out of Griff Garrison.  This is the DarK Order on #BTE so…they screw up.  Last scene is Negative One demanding the papers.  They get rolled up and…fade to black with probably Alan Angels’ screams heard in the distance.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The difference is it's not a legitimate sport and when JR is talking about how guys need to put on mass, he's most likely talking about getting on steroids.  I don't think that's a harsh thing to infer, since he spent years doing just that for Vince. 

This is not MMA, and getting bigger for wrestling means something entirely different.  There is no performance gain, in kayfabe, that Ethan Page would realize if he had bigger pecs or sculpted shoulders. 

It’s not a legitimate sport but the beauty of wrestling is when you invest in it and forget about it when you’re watching. You can’t do that if they don’t treat it seriously.

And AEW treats its product like it’s a legitimate sport, they rank the wrestlers based on the quality of their wins and losses (and people don’t win matches via hypnosis), so the announcers should treat it seriously too. 

JR complimenting a guy and saying he has the frame to be bigger is not handing the guy a needle. And AEW apparently doesn’t actually drug test, so anybody could be on anything anyway. Considering how almost everyone in the UFC got smaller post USADA, we’d probably be surprised how many people were using stuff.

• Like 2

Ethan Page lost like 30 lbs last year. He totally leaned out, to look like he does now. He had lots of bulk but zero definition before that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jstout said:

Did anyone find it stupid that they interrupted Andrade's big announcement by Matt Sydal walking out for his match? Andrade should have ground Sydal into a fine paste for daring to interrupt him. Between stuff like that and Vickie Guerrero, they've already put Andrade behind the 8-ball before he even debuts. And when is that supposed to be? My WWE Aversion Syndrome caused me to miss him there. I've heard the guy can go, and I wanna see him work. But he may be able to sneak in an announcement about it when he can't see Marko Stunt step over his hard-grabbed TV time to make a ring entrance.

Andrade absolutely should have fucked up Sydal.  And his little brother.  He should have fucked up Dante Martin too.  Man, all those fantastic bumpers in there ready to make El Idolo look like gold and not a one felt his wrath.  

I don't hate Vickie.  I'm sure it's in part because I'd never seen her prior to AEW.  I'm currently having a moment with the hilarity of her screeching 'excuse me!'  I'm sure it'll grow tiresome, but right now Vickie's alright with me.  I kinda like the idea of Vickie bringing out a second (sexy younger) valet for Andrade.  Two valets like Macho in his jacked up WCW era.  Tho, he had three.  Vickie plays Meryl Streep to this new valet's Ann Hathaway.  I've only seen the DWPT trailer and a handful of clips, but I think there's a few heels that could learn a thing or two from her Wintour portrayal.  Heck, all heels could learn a thing or two from Anna Wintour.    

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

How many people remember that Luger won the title from Hogan before Sting did? Not many. Even in my own memory, if that hadn't come up recently, I wouldn't have remembered it and would have gone on thinking Sting was the first to beat Hogan for the title. And Luger was a super established guy. 

Luger's title victory was around the time that I started watching again.  I remember being blown away by how over Luger seemed.  That was an odd but really exciting title switch.  The nWo seemed unstoppable, but that win signaled that WCW wasn't dead and they were fighting back. 

17 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I don't hate The Bucks or Omega. They're fine in their goofy ways... I really don't think what they do is any different than what we've seen over the last 25 years. The Bucks are basically 2 DX era HBK's who just do what they want... Omega is a character that I love. I like some aspect of his game, but he's not to the level of PAC I feel when it comes to tightness.

Jungle Boy could easily be a Bret Hart type in promos and that would be absolutely fine. The thing about that is Bret spent years getting to that point... JB is still a kid and you guys are wanting him to be this complete act. Granted- he's not a Sammy Guevara or MJF... but his likability Q is so so so much higher. He's a slow burn and let him develop. He hasn't even had any real feuds yet. He doesn't have that arch nemesis. There's really nothing to support a run on top for him or with any belt.

Great comparisons.  Jack's had incredible consistency throughout his AEW run, and that's another Bret Hart like sign.  Comparing Jungle Boy now to Bret's Stampede promos is probably pretty fair.  Bret figured out how to do A role really well with the early WWF/Hart Foundation promos.  Those were more for the Anvil and Jimmy, but Bret hit his lines wonderfully.  Jungle Boy's in ring consistency is ahead of both MJF and Sammy.  Well, ahead of Friedman.  As good as Friedman's potential is on the mic that aspect of his game has been challenged by this never-ending, and draining, Chris Jericho feud.  It's resulted in well delivered but cliched and boring by the numbers stuff.  His in ring work has also left much to be desired on a number of occasions.  I still wouldn't argue his potential.  Like Jungle Boy, Sammy's been pretty consistent in ring.  He seems capable of mic work delivery, but judging, for example, from this past Saturday, he could use some help with what to say.  Also 'Best Ever!' is a horrible catchphrase.  If he's gonna keep with that might as well bring back the silly panda bear costume too.  

It's an interesting comparison between Kenny and Pac.  I don't see either/or as lesser than one another.  Pac absolutely is tight as fuck tho.  I really hope they can re-heat him and get him back to a strong position again.  I've read a lot of talk about who oughtta beat Miro in this thread.  How bout Pac?  How bout Miro and Pac get into a gruelling tough man feud and flop the title a couple or so times.  Tho, not for a long while.  Miro ichiban!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I think it deserves to be mentioned- but my second favorite moment of the show (other than Miro's promo), was Ethan Page taunting the Bear dude with his screechy bear/cat growl. It got a legit laugh out of me... And made me a fan of his.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, just drew said:

It isn't "The Airport Test." It's the "could I whip this motherfucker inside of five minutes?" test. And neither of the Bucks come close to passing. There are small dudes in wrestling I absolutely believe are killers. Bryan, Kyle O'Reilly, PAC, Ciampa, KENTA, and I'm sure about a hundred Japanese guys I've never seen before. Guys who look like they've seen the inside of a gym. Nick and Matt Ellsw- I mean, Jackson, are products of an era where kayfabe is completely dead, so let's just see people do cool shit.

Jungle Boy doesn't pass your weird test either. Unless we're going with "but he has abs!" as a reason for him being tough or whatever it is you're trying to say here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Throw Darby in there, as well.  And Orange Cassidy.  And and and.    I thought the rise of MMA was supposed to have ruined the perception that big = asskicker.  If you’re watching AEW and thinking that anyone under a certain weight or build is not believable and hurts your enjoyment, you’re going to have a bad time.

Also, we’re ignoring the fact that the Bucks actually got a little bigger and in better shape somewhere between TNA and NJPW.

Edited by Technico Support

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Now all that being said, AEW has to follow through.  If we don't see JB in the ring again for a month and then he's teaming with slo-mo Stan Lane the Dinosaur, that's a massive miss.

I can't agree with that thinking. Jungle Boy will be a singles star someday, but IMO the team with Luchasaurus is too much fun to abandon quickly. And it's not like the AEW tag titles are jokes or everybody-gets-a-turn titles; Jurassic Express knocking off the Bucks would be a pretty big deal.

• Like 1

I'm fairly tall and think I'm in pretty good shape.  I hit the weights four days a week (2 days lower body, 2 days upper), stretch a lot, run about an hour five days a week (ran in college, used to be a marathoner, still a lifetime runner ) etc.  I'm also fairly certain most everyone on the roster could take me in a fight.  I mean, I like my chances against -1 but I'm not completely sure i wouldn't have to cheat my ass off to survive him.  

I'd be reluctant to fight a woman, which is good since I'm fairly sure most of them could take me.  I dunno that i'd find Tay Conti as appealing after she pulled my head off and handed it to me.

A dude told me a while back that he couldn't take Darby seriously because Darby was smaller than him and probably couldn't beat him in a fight.  Okkkayyyyy.  From what I've read about Darby, he got into wrestling because it was safer than whatever he was doing before. That's scary.  I'm not sure size matters that much against a dude with a high pain threshold and willingness to hurt himself along with you.

No offense to Just Drew, but I'm guessing he's underestimating the Bucks.  My general rule of thumb is dudes who get kicked in the face and thrown off ladders for a living probably have an advantage vs. dudes who spend a lot of time in the gym.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, just drew said:

It isn't "The Airport Test." It's the "could I whip this motherfucker inside of five minutes?" test. And neither of the Bucks come close to passing. There are small dudes in wrestling I absolutely believe are killers. Bryan, Kyle O'Reilly, PAC, Ciampa, KENTA, and I'm sure about a hundred Japanese guys I've never seen before. Guys who look like they've seen the inside of a gym. Nick and Matt Ellsw- I mean, Jackson, are products of an era where kayfabe is completely dead, so let's just see people do cool shit.

JBL thought he could whip Joey Styles's ass too ??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Haha 4

I'm just going to say that anybody who thought Jungle Boy was going to be the guy on Saturday night needs to pass to me just whatever they're smoking. The guy always has been, is, and will be Hangman Page. There is just no other correct choice. Now we get the Christian Cage vs. Kenny Omega match probably at one of the four gimmick shows this month which will only push Kenny harder and then All Out I'm guessing is where we get Hangman vs. Omega. Plus, let's be honest - it's always been just an all around better idea to wait for fans to come back for a big title change like that. That for certain will sell really well. Britt happening during the pandemic makes sense; TK throwing the fans of Daily's a bone, but there was no way it was gonna be a World title change (O.C. or Pac).

Miro is slowly becoming the man for me. Liked what he had to offer in WWE, but my god in AEW he really is cranking it up to a different level. In all honesty, I'd consider having him be the guy to beat Hangman for the title. It's kind of a shame Archer is just going to become an afterthought, because I think Miro has overshadowed him since his arrival in AEW.

10 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I'm just going to say that anybody who thought Jungle Boy was going to be the guy on Saturday night needs to pass to me just whatever they're smoking. The guy always has been, is, and will be Hangman Page. There is just no other correct choice. Now we get the Christian Cage vs. Kenny Omega match probably at one of the four gimmick shows this month which will only push Kenny harder and then All Out I'm guessing is where we get Hangman vs. Omega.

Whoa, watch out, some might say you like adult coloring books for having this opinion!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Saying you think they don't look tough enough to beat Kingson & Mox? Cool.

You saying you could kick their ass inside of five minutes? Fucking dumb fantasy land shit dude.

So, you'd have no way of knowing this, but I started boxing at 8. I placed top 5 in state as a heavyweight wrestler as a Junior in High School. As an adult I've studied Muay Thai, Krav Maga and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. I got good enough at the first two to teach beginner's classes. I don't tell you this to come off like a badass. I talked about it in the "wrestlers you could beat up" thread some years back. What I am saying is that the Young Bucks are two self trained wrestlers with zero legitimate martial arts training and not much pro wrestling training. I'm also six inches taller and sixty pounds heavier than either Buck. So yeah, I like my chances. Five minutes? I dunno. Depends on rules, gear, etc. And that's part of my issue with them. There's "suspension of disbelief" and there's "believing two dorks under 5'10 have any chance against legitimate fighters or athletes." Why, you'd have to believe a flip is as useful as a fist in an actual fight. Oh wait...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Whoa, watch out, some might say you like adult coloring books for having this opinion!

That would be pretty wild, seeing as how they've been building this angle up for over a year now. Seems like a no brainer, but hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Well, JR spent his entire adult life as a talent evaluator / scout in pro-wrestling. It's in his blood. It's not like Ethan Page is Dynamite Kid or Eddie Guerrero where that extra 20# of muscle ruined him. Every sport does the same thing. 

Every MMA gym or football program I've ever been a part of or even just been around has coaches who say this same shit. No coach is ever happy with a fighter or player's weight. "Bro, you're killing it at 165! Let's get you down to 150 where you can hammer people!" Or like when I got to college and my OL coach took one look at me at 6'1, 255 and asked "how much more mass do you think you can add before you're fat?" Truthfully, I felt fat at that weight. It isn't healthy, but it's been happening forever. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

There sure is a lot of discussion about trying to get into fights lately. Have we considered diplomacy?

After all, there's a reason why it's called a political THRILLER.

... just me, huh? Guess I'll get back to my adult coloring book.