DVDVR Message Board

Saturday Night Dynamite - 6/26/2021

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Having eyes and ears is a message board gimmick? Whoops. 

This popped me. I wish I could give you more than one like.

• Like 1

A little hard to take this "Omega is super bad at promos" thing seriously when you just advocated for the worst promo in AEW, in Jungle Boy, becoming the World Champion tonight. I don't disagree with you about Omega on the stick, but...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peck said:

Hope Bunny is okay. I guess she needed checked out after the Statlander match. That Big Bang Theory always makes me cringe. One little slip and you're going to have some disastrous results.

Good news:

Fucking awesome show and awesome main event. While there is an nWo vibe with the Elite right now, they're all so good that I don't care. Nick Jackson the quiet Buck, is finally bringing all of his wacky BTE stuff to tv and now he has an actual personality. Dude cracked me up twice tonight. 

Did I hear that right? Trent needed spinal fusion surgery? If that's correct then holy shit, that sucks. I feel really bad for the guy. 

• Like 7

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Main was *chef's kiss*.

Tony, please have Cody turn on Arn so AA can break away and start cutting promos for JB ?

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Fucking awesome show and awesome main event. While there is an nWo vibe with the Elite right now, they're all so good that I don't care. Nick Jackson the quiet Buck, is finally bringing all of his wacky BTE stuff to tv and now he has an actual personality. Dude cracked me up twice tonight. 

Did I hear that right? Trent needed spinal fusion surgery? If that's correct then holy shit, that sucks. I feel really bad for the guy. 

Yes:

Poor Trent. Get well soon.

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Whoever is directing these "look at the camera and say your shit" backstage vignettes has the right idea. They read a lot different then the one-take cutaways we've been getting over the last year. Even the Bucks shittin' on Brandon was focused and coherent.

And when did Miro become the BEST PROMO IN THE WORLD? It's like if Nikita Koloff was an actual insane Lithuanian dude meets what children on Reddit (who have watched >10 Minoru Suzuki matches) think subtitled Minoru Suzuki promos sound like meets that one Key and Peele MMA sketch. If this version of Miro were the bad guy in any 80's action movie he would be more memorable than any protagonist. We need to name a constellation after him.

I always saw a bit of Chong Li in Miro, so that makes sense.  Miro is finally showing peak Miro.

As much as Omega can be a little too different, I think he really has a unique in-ring psychology that makes his matches special, and can elevate opponents beneath him.

This was one of Omega's best matches last night.  Reminded me a bit of Omega/Juice for the US belt in NJPW a few years back.

Hangman is just great, and Team Taz has been great foils for Hangman, but this feud needs to end soon.  If they want to keep Page away from Omega a bit longer, Page/Miro starting an epic feud would tie up a story end with the Dark Order, and could buy a few months, as each of them wouldn't be hurt by losing to the other because they're so hot.

Who I really want to see dethrone Miro in the end though is Eddie.  Eddie/Miro would be awesome, as Eddie repents for his sins and feels like he needs the blessing of God to win, while Miro states he is the favored of God. 

Sydal/Martin was a great lower card match as well.  The younger Martin gets some insane air, and Sydal's a good hand vet who has quietly been a great veteran pickup for AEW.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

Penta with just the mask and no facepaint looks strange. It was funny how Eddie was cutting a pro-AEW and anti-WWE promo, and when he was saying how AEW treated Jungle Boy and Christian better than WWE would, they both had "Yeah, well, maybe" looks on their faces. Although to be fair, they both have a best friend who still works there, and might be thinking that they might be employed by WWE at some point in the future, so... 

Dante Martin and Bear Bronson are going to break out once their tag partners are back. Right now they're kind of on job duty, waiting to re-enter the tag division. But they're both really good. Bronson vs Page was really good, and also probably Bronson's worst match in AEW. Yes, the Janela match was better.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Casey said:

A little hard to take this "Omega is super bad at promos" thing seriously when you just advocated for the worst promo in AEW, in Jungle Boy, becoming the World Champion tonight. I don't disagree with you about Omega on the stick, but...

No ones tried to tell me he’s a great promo. There’s the difference.

I get the NWO comparisons but one thing I really liked about the end of the main event was the whole intersection of HFO/Christian's angle into everything - other heels never made the save for the NWO, it was always in it's own corner for the most part. Admittedly, I might be a little more forgiving because 1) I loved the NWO as a kid, and 2) that match was really awesome. I thought it was a tremendous showing for both dudes, and definitely Kenny's best match in recent memory. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Penta with just the mask and no facepaint looks strange. It was funny how Eddie was cutting a pro-AEW and anti-WWE promo, and when he was saying how AEW treated Jungle Boy and Christian better than WWE would, they both had "Yeah, well, maybe" looks on their faces. Although to be fair, they both have a best friend who still works there, and might be thinking that they might be employed by WWE at some point in the future, so... 

I'm drawing a blank...who is Jungle Boy's best friend that works in WWE?

1 hour ago, just drew said:

No ones tried to tell me he’s a great promo. There’s the difference.

Yeah that doesn’t really help your case here though. This just seems like another case of your extreme dislike of Omega - which is fine, even if I think you’re wrong and you take it to Cornette levels of hate for the guy - but let’s not pretend Jungle Boy is ready to be the top guy in the company, please. He’s good, but he’s not there 100% there yet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Penta with just the mask and no facepaint looks strange. It was funny how Eddie was cutting a pro-AEW and anti-WWE promo, and when he was saying how AEW treated Jungle Boy and Christian better than WWE would, they both had "Yeah, well, maybe" looks on their faces. Although to be fair, they both have a best friend who still works there, and might be thinking that they might be employed by WWE at some point in the future

I think this is a bad idea - thinking anyone can read people's faces or have an idea of what they were thinking in the moment. Plus, like WWE fuckin cares anyway. They don't give a shit. It would be smart for anyone wanting to eventually go to WWE to have some notoriety and controversy to them because, my God, this guy talked all kinds of shit about WWE and their wrestlers, how is this going to work. It's why CM Punk is still in demand despite reporting years ago, he talks a lot of shit about WWE and people still want to see what happens if he goes back there. 

Eddie is so otherworldly good. The guy is dripping with charisma and needs a fucking title reign. He's looking leaner with each month that goes by too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Woah, Evil Uno has been JB in a mask and body suit this whole time?!

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

To clarify my opinion about the Elite...

I think we can acknowledge when people are very talented at what they do, but it just doesn't connect with us on an aesthetic level, right?

For me, the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega are that.

I can see the appeal. I can see why people get them. I can even see how the point of how they're being booked now, as these cocky arrogant heels that I'm supposed to want to see getting beat up.

And I dunno, y'all, it doesn't connect with me. I would rather they not be on my screen because I find them grating and annoying, and they're taking up TV time from the litany of other great talent on AEW's roster that I'd much rather be watching.

Are they bad wrestlers? I don't think they are. Are they bad promos? I think, for the characters they're playing now, they're hitting the points they should be. Does that mean I enjoy it, or does it make me want to spend money on their pay-per-views? Nope.

That said, if more people are enjoying it than I am, that's totally fine. I don't expect to 100% enjoy a wrestling promotion. (This isn't Ice Ribbon, after all.) But I think it's a disingenuous talking point to say that anyone who says they don't enjoy watching something automatically thinks it's bad, or is working a message board gimmick.

I'm sure I'm not, but sometimes I feel like one of the only people who thinks Kenny Omega is fantastic, and one of the best wrestlers in the world despite his various much discussed irritating habits, while The Bucks are unbearable one trick ponies who look like they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. I know both those opinions separately are quite widely held, but it's mad how rarely they get expressed together, considering that they're objectively the correct ones.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Anybody catch JR's hilarious 'that takes testicles' line? 

I caught that and him grumbling out an apology for something, don't recall what. Then there was Tony yelling "Tope suicida!" with joy while the other two egged him on, as if he finally called it right. 

• Like 2

The Omega/Bucks hate feels like contrarian-anti-Meltzer pretension.  As long as I've been a fan of the Squared Circle there have been plenty of glaring reasons to complain.  Bitching and moaning because these guys are both critically praised for legit ability/quality performances and consensus fan favorites (in the sense that ppl r excited to see them), seems like an incredibly lame reasoning/battle to pick.  That said, if there was a good point it would be at least interesting.  Without an interesting point it's just tried and tired.  It's like saying 'the Beatles suck!  I just don't like them.  They're different.'   Alright then!  But I guess that's kinda the expected fodder to pass by on a message board.  I'm just so happy I'm not actually in the minority here and AEW isn't actually going to change direction for these wet blankets.  Long live the Elite!       

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

BTW, what the fuck is up with Konnan's stomach? That bulge was so huge you should name it Kuato.

He's been like that since the kidney got taken out I think. I dunno what's with it either. I saw it on I think TNA in full once and it's pretty gross, it's like he has a hernia and his intestines are bulging out. 

• Like 1

Omega is legit. I didn’t care for his dime store presentation after the Page separation (it was v lame), but he’s evolved into a fun character. He’s also physically legit. Bit of a throwback to the Benoit/Eddie/Angle style Main Eventers - not huge but with a legit physical presence, and able to move themselves and others around the ring. Would be good to see him in a programme with a physically bigger dude (not that AEW has many of them really .. Big Show would have been (maybe would still be) an interesting short programme).

The Bucks are greatly improved but they have an insurmountable issue of just looking so ... physically weak? They give up like 4 inches on even the Hardys who some would historically liken them to .. and the Hardys in their tag run would often enough look like total fodder against bigger guys as it was. So yeah, an all conquering tag tag pushes the envelope a little too much .. but this is definitely the funnest incarnation of their characters in AEW so far relatively speaking.

• Like 2