DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/18/2021

9 hours ago, Craig H said:

10's mask still looks like some homemade juggalo shit.

And I've now grown tired of Cody's tights. There was a Link inspiration there at one point, but now it's just more cosplay type stuff. I think the long tights are just supposed to look like armor. And now the dude is coming out like Homelander every week, which, again, no one should want to be Homelander.

Just like there are people who missed the point of Breaking Bad and think Walter White was just totally awesome, do you think there are people who legit look at Homelander as a good guy?  I don't want to think so but I have little faith in a decent-sized swath of my fellow people.

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just like there are people who missed the point of Breaking Bad and think Walter White was just totally awesome, do you think there are people who legit look at Homelander as a good guy?  I don't want to think so but I have little faith in a decent-sized swath of my fellow people.

Like, normal people? I don't think normal people think Homelander is a good guy. I think people who support the bullshit that happened on Jan. 6 and stuff adjacent to that probably think Homelander is awesome.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kev said:

Minor criticism but I sometimes think they should ask some of the jobbers they bring in to tone their looks down . I get that it’s indy guys/girls just trying to stand out, but occasionally the likes of Ryzin or whoever will look like a bigger, more interesting character than their squasher. I’d like some of these guys to embrace their jobber status and get some generic, ill-fitting singlets.

This is a very good point. WWE for instance won't let you use any gear with a name or design on it when you do extra work. If your gear is too flashy they grab a stock pair of plain tights for you to wear. And it makes sense. The purpose of an enhancement match is to enhance your already signed guy. So someone with cool ass gear taking the attention off of them and into themselves does the company no good.

I would expect AEW is the same way. Maybe not quite as strict. But certainly that is a detail that matters for every enhancement guy they let work on Dark.

That's all true, but AEW takes a different approach to "jobbers," in general.  See the shitstorm we got a year or so ago when Kenney Omega gave a pre-5 Alan Angels "too much offense" instead of eating him alive.  In kayfabe, if you're good enough to get there at all, then you're not some loser-ass jabroni who can't find his ass with two hands who will be beaten by any main roster wrestler in a minute.  Even "enhancement talent" are skilled fighters who can hang for a bit.  I think this approach extends to gear.  If you're good enough to get to AEW in any way, then you're somebody and looking like somebody isn't a big deal.

• Like 2

Aren't Bear Country's masks a reference to the film Wrong Turn? I'm sure I heard them get announced as from Bear Mountain, which is where that film happens. Not that anyone gets their face caught in a bear trap in it, but there's general murder and mayhem at the hands of mutant Leatherface knockoffs.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

That's all true, but AEW takes a different approach to "jobbers," in general.  See the shitstorm we got a year or so ago when Kenney Omega gave a pre-5 Alan Angels "too much offense" instead of eating him alive.  In kayfabe, if you're good enough to get there at all, then you're not some loser-ass jabroni who can't find his ass with two hands who will be beaten by any main roster wrestler in a minute.  Even "enhancement talent" are skilled fighters who can hang for a bit.  I think this approach extends to gear.  If you're good enough to get to AEW in any way, then you're somebody and looking like somebody isn't a big deal.

It's almost as if, when you look at the people who wrestle on AEW shows, they actually are... All... what's the word? Oh yeah! Elite!

• Haha 1

For me the Job squad getting to present their characters/looks/spots leads to minor excitement for guys you might have seen elsewhere or locally.  It also feels more like a tryout.  I dig it.  Let WWE take care of the homogenization.  

Speaking of ‘enhancement talent’ can anybody out there tell me about this Queen Amanita?  I, like the crowd, maybe in part because of the crowd, dug her recent Dark appearance.  Great presence.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's almost as if, when you look at the people who wrestle on AEW shows, they actually are... All... what's the word? Oh yeah! Elite!

I mean they literally had a team called Bums R Us on this week. And there’s guys like Ryzin with a record of something like 0-30, clearly some guys aren’t that elite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

For me the Job squad getting to present their characters/looks/spots leads to minor excitement for guys you might have seen elsewhere or locally.  It also feels more like a tryout.  I dig it.  Let WWE take care of the homogenization.  

Speaking of ‘enhancement talent’ can anybody out there tell me about this Queen Amanita?  I, like the crowd, maybe in part because of the crowd, dug her recent Dark appearance.  Great presence.

Funny you mention that as QT was on AEW's pod confirming as such.  It basically is a tryout and if you impress enough then there's more work to be had.  And if you really impress then you're practically a regular whether you're officially signed or not (Kilyn King for example)   Which I honestly like as it's nice to follow along and see who has a chance to rise up the ranks.  Heck, Red Velvet is a great example of somebody who tried out and impressed enough to be trusted for the Shaq mixed tag.  That was pretty much her final test and she's golden now.

• Like 4