DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/18/2021

14 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

JR screaming "He just hit a 60 year old man... With Parkinsons!" was his best commentary in AEW. Reminded me of when he'd go super over the top for HHH's heel antics in 99.

Apropos of nothing, I also found myself thinking how funny it would be to make him call a random tag with Christian Cage and Adam Page vs. Ethan Page and Brian Cage.

Or...

Christian Cage + Adam Page + Orange Cassidy

Vs

Brian Cage + Ethan Page + Isaiah Kassidy

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When Cage Met Page Met Cage Met Page could be easier to arrange than we think.

Jason Hotch also has occasionally wrestled for AEW as well.  This is only relevant because the other name that he used is…Jason Page.  Then there is DDP and his daughter… They could probably get Nicolas Cage on the cheap though.   

I guess I just really want JR to get all flustered and storm away from the set and into a nice long vacation.  His voice and name mean too much to people…the fans without power and the suits and TV execs who have hogged it all for themselves.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
Executing Quality Control aka Cut the Rambling portion of this post’s events

On 6/20/2021 at 12:49 AM, EVA said:

Yeah, I’m a big Jungle Boy proponent from way back, but while he has been increasingly excellent in the ring, his progress in pretty much every other department has been a flat line for two solid years now.  He has negative charisma outside the ring.  I feel like calling his promo style “aloof” is being generous.  And what does it even mean that he’s “Jungle Boy” besides the hair and the gear?  I don’t know.  And I’m pretty sure he doesn’t either.  

This is all stuff he’s got to figure out before he’s ready to be the guy.  They’ve been working very hard to Weekend at Bernie’s him through the build up to this title match, and doing an okay job of it, but your world champ has to have a pulse.

They really should ask NJPW to let him be part of BOSJ this year.  I think it would do him a lot of good, both in-ring and in finding who Jungle Boy really is.

(I'd send Jungle Boy, Angelico, and Darby if NJPW needs 3 juniors)

Angelico could fill the technical gaijin slot, Darby would be as over as Dragon Lee at the end of it, and Jungle Boy would have good matches and get better.

• Like 2

It's also in line with how ROH was used.  ROH did one tour a year, and then they had 3 juniors and 1 heavy compete in the tournies, and a few folks in NJC (Colt was pretty over in his NJC run, even if he accidentally joined CHAOS)

In 2019 it was Bandido, Marty, and Gresham who were in BOSJ- all three got over pretty well.  Marty was always mega-over, and Gresham was like a mini-Zack to the NJPW fans who got to embarass ZSJ a bit in some prelim tags.

Edited by alstein

With where he's at now, I imagine Jungle Boy losing in the final would be about where AEW see him now. Maybe they could insist on a win and then he'd drop the title match that followed? I don't know. I'm pretty sure Darby would 'need' to win though.

11 hours ago, Jiji said:

Darby Allin is one of their main stars. Sending him to the BoSJ tournament, a tournament that hasn't amounted to jack shit since the '90s, is absurd. 

Appreciate the context. As mentioned, Im a real NJPW casual, so I was kinda unaware that it didn't really hold the same cachet it once did, that's my bad

11 hours ago, Jiji said:

Darby Allin is one of their main stars. Sending him to the BoSJ tournament, a tournament that hasn't amounted to jack shit since the '90s, is absurd. 

But what if there was an overall attempt to try and make something out of it again?  It seems they have a partnership with not only AEW but also Impact.  I would think that if you had a mix of them competing with NJPW juniors that would make for a pretty kick-ass tournament.  I know with the pandemic it messed things up but if not this year maybe see how next year goes.

I am also super casual with New Japan so forgive me if I'm missing something while brainstorming here.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I'm way down on NJPW this year but where in the hell did we get a take like "The BoSJ ain't shit"?

The last two finals main-evented the Budokan and Sumo Hall and the tournaments have been getting massive love from global fans + Meltz since at least that KUSHIDA/O'Reily final from '15. NXT literally ran the match back yesterday. You mean to tell me the mask-tearing Hiromu/Despy final wasn't the shit, or any of Hiromu's runs in general? The other final w/ Ishimori? KUSHIDA climbing back to the top after Hiromu wiped him out? Lyger's last stand? Shingo murdering actual juniors and almost going zensho? A lot of North American dudes like Ricochet, Dragon Lee, Bandido, etc. notably raising their stock ? Fuck Ospreay but you mean to tell me his 10-star WON MotYs and viral Ricochet spotfest weren't at least very relevant? 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, alstein said:

They really should ask NJPW to let him be part of BOSJ this year.  I think it would do him a lot of good, both in-ring and in finding who Jungle Boy really is.

(I'd send Jungle Boy, Angelico, and Darby if NJPW needs 3 juniors)

Angelico could fill the technical gaijin slot, Darby would be as over as Dragon Lee at the end of it, and Jungle Boy would have good matches and get better.

Jungle Boy vs a young Koji Kanemoto would be an amazing exercise for the kid.

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm way down on NJPW this year but where in the hell did we get a take like "The BoSJ ain't shit"?

The last two finals main-evented the Budokan and Sumo Hall and the tournaments have been getting massive love from global fans + Meltz since at least that KUSHIDA/O'Reily final from '15. NXT literally ran the match back yesterday. You mean to tell me the mask-tearing Hiromu/Despy final wasn't the shit, or any of Hiromu's runs in general? The other final w/ Ishimori? KUSHIDA climbing back to the top after Hiromu wiped him out? Lyger's last stand? Shingo murdering actual juniors and almost going zensho? A lot of North American dudes like Ricochet, Dragon Lee, Bandido, etc. notably raising their stock ? Fuck Ospreay but you mean to tell me his 10-star WON MotYs and viral Ricochet spotfest weren't at least very relevant? 

It's not that the matches aren't good because they're very good, but the tournament itself doesn't feel like it matters as much these days.

It's interesting how every wrestler who worked Kanemoto in the 90s seems to absolutely hate him. Even before you get into the spousal abuse he's accused (and iirc convicted) of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's not that the matches aren't good because they're very good, but the tournament itself doesn't feel like it matters as much these days.

Add to that, NJPW during that period they ran the BoSJ in bigger buildings felt like an automatic sellout and even with Will vs. Shingo final, Jon Moxley defending the US title, and Tanahashi vs. Jay White, they sold a couple thousand fewer tickets to that show than they do when running a big event. Perhaps I spoke in hyperbole, but it really isn't an important event for them and is often an afterthought. I would not want my stars associated with it in any way, even if they were winning it. 

• Like 1

I love the idea of sending an 'AEW Superstar' to the BOSJ.  Especially like the idea of somebody who could potentially benefit from the notoriety of a good tournament.  For this, I like Stu Grayson.  But why not a few guys - Danny Limelight, Isaih Kassidy, Marq Quen, Alan Angels to name a but few.  But definitely Stu.  

Same sort of criteria for the G1, but maybe somebody slightly higher in the card.  Sammy Guevera might be a good choice.  Wardlow maybe?  Or does it potentially weaken him?  Get Stu Grayson in there too.  

Bear Country, the Gunn Boys, Luther and his maked buddy, and the Sydal Brothers for the Real World Tag League!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alstein said:

NJPW would want a name, not a jobber.  Those names would be like NJPW sending Henare to be a threat to Miro.

NJPW and AEW are equals.

For G1, I'd send Miro  , Wardlow, and Hager.

I think the names I mentioned would be appropriate for each of those tournaments.  The G1 is a gruelling run that is potentially hazardous.  Sending an Omega or even Moxley again (which was hazardous) wouldn't make sense.  But sending an upper mid card guy like Sammy might make sense.  

BOSJ is at the level of the competitors I mentioned and NJPW Is well aware of this.  So too the level of talent I've suggested for there very very very weak tag division.  Hence why the World Tag League would be a great place for the 'Undefeated Colton Gunn' and his brother Austin to shine.  Heck, work the Freebird rules and get the Bad Ass in there too!  

I don't expect any of these guys to win.  NJPW putting over a gaijin from another company in the G1 or really any of these tournaments wouldn't make much sense.  But they could have strong tournaments without winning.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alstein said:

NJPW would want a name, not a jobber.  Those names would be like NJPW sending Henare to be a threat to Miro.

NJPW and AEW are equals.

For G1, I'd send Miro  , Wardlow, and Hager.

I'd love Hangman back in the G1, as his run in 2018 was one of the few highlights of that G1 and got me aboard his bandwagon as a future major star (and pretty damn good already). The others are a good call, and hell just about anyone in the upper card or above would be cool (save Jericho).

It would be a little harder to get someone in BOSJ just cause a lot of the best candidates like Darby, Jungle Boy, and Silver (at least in the near future) are being presented as threats for the top AEW titles and mainly facing bigger guys.

Edited by Big Z

You know we are always saying that AEW has a roster too big for its limited TV time. Sending guys to Japan could fix that. Put Luchasaurus in the G1 Jungle Boy in BOSJ both of them in the tag league. I figured FTR wanted to work Japan but the pandemic happened

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

To add to Craig’s point, I feel that the prestige of the tournament was elevated in the last couple of years by the transcendent ‘bigger than the Junior division’ stars like Ospreay and Shingo, not the other way round. But JB is not big enough at this point to not be ‘dragged down’ to the level of the BOSJ if that makes sense.