DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Heck In A Cell - 6/18/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Main was certainly vicious enough. I liked Rey deciding to stick the chair right into Roman's throat when trying to sit it on him, nobody ever thought to do that before. 

Otherwise I see Otis has turned into Vader which is very much wanted. And other than that... 

Bayley/Bianca getting the cell match annoys me. Just feels unnecessary.

E/Owens vs. Apollo/Aziz was decent. Aziz definitely is able to do more in the ring than Omos at the moment. Owens/Sami getting added on Sunday was unsurprising.

Heel Otis always feels so wrong, but damn can it not be denied that he absolutely gives off killer vibes the way he destroys people.

Roman/Rey was nice. Loved Roman slinging Rey into the cell and powerbomb toward the end. Was good to see Jimmy align with the family at the end.

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Bayley/Bianca getting the cell match annoys me. Just feels unnecessary.

Agreed. This is what I said in the RAW thread:

I hoped Rhea Ripley vs. Charlotte Flair would be inside Hell in a Cell. Be much more interested in that Hell in a Cell match unlike Lashley/McIntyre.

I was disappointed in the HIAC. With all the weapons stuff it was more like a (INSERT NAME) Street Fight than a HIAC match.  There was really nothing to differentiate it from a random cage match except for the color of the cage and that big bump (Which was kinda ruined for me because of the weird angle it was shot from made it pretty obvious they were using some sort of crash pad). Plus I can't believe how little time it got, I think they rang the bell to start the match with about 15 minutes left in the hour.  I was sort of expecting with hype and promos and recap they'd devote the whole second hour to it.

Not sure how I feel about Rey going for weapons 30 seconds into the match.  It makes sense given the nature of the storyline and it's perfectly legal, but it feels odd to see the babyface fighting for his family honor just straight-up admit that he probably can't beat the bully heel and decide chair shots are the way to go.

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

Not sure how I feel about Rey going for weapons 30 seconds into the match.  It makes sense given the nature of the storyline and it's perfectly legal, but it feels odd to see the babyface fighting for his family honor just straight-up admit that he probably can't beat the bully heel and decide chair shots are the way to go.

I dunno...wouldn't an angry dad do whatever and use whatever to mess up anyone who hurt their kid?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Macho Man Randy Savage jumped Jake the Snake Roberts during introductions, choked him with the ringside microphone cords, and hit him with every bell and chair that wasn't nailed down, and he was no less of a babyface for doing so, given the line Jake had crossed.

same holds true for Rey Mysterio.  Win, Lose, Draw, you don't let anyone cross that line without paying a blood price.  NOT using every available tool to avenge your family/protect your family in the future by making an example of the transgressor even if means a scoreboard defeat?  That's the heel move; shrinking from responsibility, leaving hanging/unprotected, abandoning them to their fate, etc.

The audience (not just wrestling, but any storytelling medium: film, TV, literature, theater, etc.) wants to live vicariously through them. Do what they would want to do/believe should be done, but cannot for whatever reason do themselves, and see enough of themselves in that hero that they can feel like That Was Me or at least That Was For Me or That's What I'd Do.  In this case, that's beating the shit out of the guy who harmed your kid.

and if Rey is "too old" or "too overmatched" by conventional means and yet stands up and fights on principle anyway?  Why that's just all the more heroic, especially if he uses guile and tools to close the gap.  [I mean, what is his entire career if not using speed and agility to heroically compensate for lack of size, after all?]

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just remembered something reading Phil's book: The super tall guy, Commander whatever, teaming with Apollo is using the Asiatic Spike and that is AWESOME. Talk about a simple, old school move that someone needed to use, might as well give it to that guy. Making it a deadly strike instead of a submission is cool too.

EDIT: Hasn't Jacob Fatu used it as well or am I tripping? Last person I remember is Necro Butcher.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I had no idea I wanted to see Kofi turn heel and get a singles push until MVP put the idea in my head.  I'm probably going to be disappointed if it turns out to just be a tease and Kofi feuds with Lashley instead.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I had no idea I wanted to see Kofi turn heel and get a singles push until MVP put the idea in my head.  I'm probably going to be disappointed if it turns out to just be a tease and Kofi feuds with Lashley instead.

Hopefully you end up disappointed because its an absolutely terrible idea with New Day still a thing and MVP currently with Lashley.