DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Heck In A Cell - 6/18/2021

Dolfan in NYC

From the new WON

Roman Reigns was to defend the Universal title against Rey Mysterio, with the idea of Rey getting revenge for what Reigns did to Dominik last week (even though Dominik was back and fine on television seven days later). Then, on 6/17, it was announced the match was taken off the PPV and being moved to the 6/18 Smackdown show. As far as what happened, there’s no involved reason that made any sense. The word we were told is that you can’t describe why, there were just a bunch of discussions on Thursday and the discussions ended up with “Let’s do it on Smackdown.” As of press time, the plans were for Reigns to not be wrestling on the PPV. This match seems more about putting Reigns in with a great worker and allowing him to play bully heel, give Rey some hot spots and near falls, but in the end I don’t think anyone expects Reigns to lose.

The only thing I can figure is they saw the reaction to Dominick getting thrown off the camera to the bottom of earth was on Twitter and thought maybe we can get some good ratings on this if we have Dominick jump 20 feet off the cage for no reason.  Unlike on Peacock.   

Or the idea that Rey vs Roman isn't really a strong PPV match to begin with.  It really just screams killing time.   For what I don't know though 

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

The only thing I can figure is they saw the reaction to Dominick getting thrown off the camera to the bottom of earth was on Twitter and thought maybe we can get some good ratings on this if we have Dominick jump 20 feet off the cage for no reason.  Unlike on Peacock.   

Or the idea that Rey vs Roman isn't really a strong PPV match to begin with.  It really just screams killing time.   For what I don't know though 

Well, Dave says the plan for Summerslam currently is

Spoiler

Cena vs. Roman

But, yeah, Roman vs. 45-year-old Rey isn't a great PPV match.  I'm skeptical a lot of people would look at that match and think "Rey's gonna win the title."

Vince probably realized he has to end the program quickly before Roman murderizes Dom again and it turns him (Roman) babyface.   Dominick is approaching Alexa Bliss/Bray Wyatt levels of "Nope NopeNope" with me. 

• Like 1

I get it from a business perspective. This is what happens when they don't get the PPV revenue anymore. They have no incentive to save the important stuff for PPV. They can put some of the major happenings on the TVs and it's not going to hurt their box office take, and may even help the TV have stronger ratings / help keep the massive rights fees coming. We all say it. 2020s WWE is a content company, not a wrestling company.

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

But, yeah, Roman vs. 45-year-old Rey isn't a great PPV match.  I'm skeptical a lot of people would look at that match and think "Rey's gonna win the title."

I guess. But it's not as though that sort of imbalance was a hindrance to people enjoying the Roman-Jey stuff.

• Like 1

Not running Rey vs Roman on Father's Day is so dumb. Burying a dad avenging his son on Father's Day would've been so on brand for WWE and it would've been the right move to boost Roman's heel cred.

And are they painting the cell blue?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I want to say some people are getting their hopes up, but "get me a giant chain-link enclosure in a different colour in less than a day" feels like exactly the right amount of impulsive.

I'm betting Vince's compulsiveness caused a few people to stay overnight in the THUNDERDOME to paint the cage SMACKDOWN BLUE lol

Edited by Infinit

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I guess. But it's not as though that sort of imbalance was a hindrance to people enjoying the Roman-Jey stuff.

It might be just as well.  A couple weeks ago, Meltzer was hinting that Vince had something planned for Rey at Hell in a Cell along the lines of booking guys to lose in their hometowns.

He was being cryptic, but my guess was Dom was going to turn on Rey on Father's Day.

Edited by Eoae

I'd like to see a Rey/Roman program as I think they could have some interesting matches, but hotshotting them into HIAC after what, two weeks? isn't the way to go. As far as the match itself, it could be good but like others have said there's no way Rey stands a chance of winning which takes away some of the intrigue.

The potential storyline of Dominick playing Tyler Fullington to Roman's Raven doesn't interest me in the slightest either.