DVDVR Message Board

All Things Pixar

Matt D

It felt a little strange to be the only person leaving when the credits rolled at The Dead Don't Die. If I missed something, oh well. 

It was also strange to go into a theater and have to stand in a maze of partitioning (or whatever the word for it is) instead of just walking up and buying a ticket

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It felt a little strange to be the only person leaving when the credits rolled at The Dead Don't Die. If I missed something, oh well.

I did that at the new Godzilla. Don't care if I missed anything. 

I really liked Toy Story 4. I'd say it was the funniest of all 4 movies. Lots of great running bits. I did have an issue with the ending, however

Spoiler

I did not like Woody deciding to stay behind and leave the Buzz and the rest of the toys. To me, it goes against everything Woody has stood for in the prior 3 films. He has ALWAYS been about being there for his kid. Now that he's no longer his new kid's favorite toy and he sometimes gets left behind or forgotten about, he just up and leaves? He spent how many years in Andy's toybox just waiting to be picked up for the briefest moment. He was willing to live in the attic forever just to be there when Andy might want to be with him. But now......he "gets lost" and leaves. Nope. Didn't care for it at all. And it didn't seem like Buzz and the rest of the toys really took it all that hard. What seemed like it should've been a huge emotional moment fell flat for me because I just couldn't believe Woody would actually do that and leave his kid no matter what the circumstances. Now, maybe if it were Buzz making that choice or something I'd understand and see it more. But not Woody. 

Other than that, though, I did like the film a lot. All the new characters were great. I'd say it's kind of a toss up right now between this and 3 for my #2 fav in the series (which goes 1,3,4,2 right now) May take a few more viewings to see where it finally settles on my list.

7 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I really liked Toy Story 4. I'd say it was the funniest of all 4 movies. Lots of great running bits. I did have an issue with the ending, however

Hide contents

I did not like Woody deciding to stay behind and leave the Buzz and the rest of the toys. To me, it goes against everything Woody has stood for in the prior 3 films. He has ALWAYS been about being there for his kid. Now that he's no longer his new kid's favorite toy and he sometimes gets left behind or forgotten about, he just up and leaves? He spent how many years in Andy's toybox just waiting to be picked up for the briefest moment. He was willing to live in the attic forever just to be there when Andy might want to be with him. But now......he "gets lost" and leaves. Nope. Didn't care for it at all. And it didn't seem like Buzz and the rest of the toys really took it all that hard. What seemed like it should've been a huge emotional moment fell flat for me because I just couldn't believe Woody would actually do that and leave his kid no matter what the circumstances. Now, maybe if it were Buzz making that choice or something I'd understand and see it more. But not Woody. 

Other than that, though, I did like the film a lot. All the new characters were great. I'd say it's kind of a toss up right now between this and 3 for my #2 fav in the series (which goes 1,3,4,2 right now) May take a few more viewings to see where it finally settles on my list.

So I did a lot of thinking about the movie lately because my daughter kept bringing it up or we kept talking about it. What you said makes a ton of sense and I guess adds on to something I thought about:

Spoiler

I'm on board with everything you said. In addition, you have to think back to Andy giving Woody to Bonnie and saying Woody was the most important toy and to take good care of him and what not. So not only does Woody give up on Bonnie and being there for his kid, Bonnie gives up on him too, but not totally. We wound up watching Toy Story 1, 2, and 3 and Bonnie is younger than Andy was in 1. To not think that it's just a phase where she made a toy out of a spork is pretty silly when he stuck with Andy through more neglect than that. Bonnie would likely see Woody's importance again.

The other problem is something these movies have missed out on, which is that when you get older and have your own kids you give your kid the toys that were important to you. Woody could have stuck around holding out hope that he would one day get returned to Andy. Or going back to 3, Andy would have realistically held onto Woody to one day pass down to his son or daughter.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It’s funny, after Toy Story 4, I was thinking that if they did decide to do another one, a Woody prequel would be interesting. He’s a cowboy toy from the 50’s that somehow ends up being a 90’s kid’s favorite toy. How’d he get there? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 2:16 PM, TheVileOne said:

Soul is a great movie FYI, and I think everyone here is going to enjoy it. Great music too.

It was kind of neat to see Pixar rendar a real-life, present-day city like New York.

Yeah Soul was really great. Gonna watch again soon. I went in knowing basically nothing about the movie other than it would focus on music, so the heaviness was quite a surprise, although I didn’t realize it was the director of Up and Inside Out which should have been and indication. Definitely felt more like an adult movie than a children’s movie. Even more so than inside out. 

• Like 2

My six year old daughter watched the trailer and said, “I don’t get it, but I want to watch it.”  She seemed to enjoy it despite not quite understanding the ending.  I agree that it seems like more of a movie for adults, not because of the content per se, but because some of the stuff it seems a little over their heads.  

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

Pixar stopped making Kids movies years ago, if they even ever did. The Toy Story franchise is mostly aimed towards parents who are nostalgic for their own childhoods. Ratatouille is painfully middle aged. Up is literally about fear of aging, which isn't something children have to deal with.

• Like 1

I loved Soul. My daughter didn't really shed a tear and seemed almost confused by the Interstellar/Tesseract stuff at the beginning, but she got into it after that. My wife and I each had a box of tissues and were crying our eyes out for the last 15 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Watched Soul last night, really enjoyed it. Some fun playing with animation styles, pulled at the heart strings just enough. Maybe not as many laugh out loud moments as some other Pixar flicks. But what left my mouth on the floor was the end credits, "original score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" can't believe the guy who wrote "Starfuckers Inc" is now scoring Disney flicks, I feel very old! 

7 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Watched Soul last night, really enjoyed it. Some fun playing with animation styles, pulled at the heart strings just enough. Maybe not as many laugh out loud moments as some other Pixar flicks. But what left my mouth on the floor was the end credits, "original score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross" can't believe the guy who wrote "Starfuckers Inc" is now scoring Disney flicks, I feel very old! 

They also did the score for the Watchmen series and that's maybe the best score of the year. All of their TV and movie work is fantastic. 

• Like 1