DVDVR Message Board

All Things Pixar

Matt D

Haven't seen it yet, but "best since Up" confuses me, given that Toy Story 3 was after Up and significantly better than Up

I really love Toy Story 3, but I don't rank it better than Up.  And ultimately, I feel like the ending doesn't really fix the problem and dilemma.  It really just puts a band-aid on everything and delays the inevitable yet again.  

Then again, to each his own.

Up is an amazing short film followed by a "pretty good" adventure film. I'd put Nemo, Incredibles, WALL-E, Ratatouille, and all three Toy Story movies above it without even a second of hesitation.

Which isn't too say it's not good, but it's not on the masterpiece level imo.

• Like 1

That damn film. Very well written. Amazingly so.

Then my daughter leaned her head on me and put my arm around her during the end (the first ending). Niagra Falls.

• Like 1

Up is an amazing short film followed by a "pretty good" adventure film. I'd put Nemo, Incredibles, WALL-E, Ratatouille, and all three Toy Story movies above it without even a second of hesitation.

Which isn't too say it's not good, but it's not on the masterpiece level imo.

Agreed. "Up" was an excellent film with an opening sequence that ranks among the best work Pixar has ever done, and the ending was also inspired. The middle was great, clever, fun, and occasionally thrilling, but it wasn't at the level of Toy Story 3. That's no snub at all of course. Pixar's problem is that they're so good that something as delightful and heartfelt as "Up" ends up looking mid-level by comparison to the rest of their catalog. Meanwhile if you want another major animation studio to boast a feature as good as "Up" you're pretty much forced to look overseas.

Yep, I saw it with my wife and daughter this weekend, it's a brilliant movie and very much in line with Pixar's best - an original and heartfelt story with no overt eye on marketing and merchandising, told in an artistic but accessible manner.  I'm typically the big softie in the family and had to dab my eyes three times during the film (I counted).  My wife, though, probably topped a dozen, and she sat through "Up" completely stoic.  

Inside Out was excellent and got me misty a few times. A lot of attention in publicity goes to Joy (who, admittedly is the main character), but Sadness and Bing Bong carry the fuck out of the movie. I'd rank it behind the Toy Story trilogy and Wall-E, but that's it. 

Lava, on the other hand, broke me. No mistyness. Outright weeping. If you haven't seen it, combine the first 10 minutes of Up with the last 5 minutes of Toy Story III. Then condense that into a 5 minute song. 

• Like 2

Trying to beat the heat yesterday (110 in some parts of Spokane), took the wife to Inside Out...

Can't say I was blown away or anything. I thought it was pretty good but the middle part, with Joy & Sadness trying to get back to HQ was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long and repetitive. I found myself a little bored, quite frankly. I liked the premise, even if it's not original (Herman's Head, yo) but I don't think it comes anywhere near the top echelon of Pixar's work, currently occupied by Up, Toy Story, Toy Story 3, and Finding Nemo. I was entertained and my wife liked it but it wasn't nearly what I was hoping for. And, really, the best in the entire movie for me was:

the cat thing in the credits

which is kinda sad.

As for Lava, I thought it was cute and kinda clever but it seemed a lot longer than it actually was. Felt like it would never end.

Went to Inside Out last week, ended up missing most of it because the kid had to use the bathroom every 10 minutes.

LAVA, on the other hand, absolutely laid me to waste. Sobbing like a child afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Inside Out got us both right in the feels yesterday and Lewis Black was born to play Anger.

"CONGRATULATIONS, SAN FRANCISCO! YOU'VE RUINED PIZZA!" Fucking howled.

That said, I felt like there was something a little off... perhaps the lack of an obvious bad guy (even Anger isn't evil per se). Still very good and a solid triple for Pixar.

Loved the music for Lava but it was soooooooooo f'in schmaltzy. I mean unabashedly CRY! CRY FOR THIS! weepy and hammy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...