DVDVR Message Board

All Things Pixar

Matt D

Coco is showing at the discount theater on post at Ft. Meade, so I am going with my daughter on Saturday and she will make fun of me as I blubber for at least an hour.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

incredibles 2 was fucking great.  It was like Captain America:  Civil War only it made more sense and the villain was light years better in motive, master plan, and execution of said master plan..

The concept of the Bao short was really fucking weird, but that ending brought it home.  Million Billion Stars.  It will have to do as an object lesson and bonding opportunity for me and my kid since I can't take her to go see 8th Grade.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

...especially since Toy Story 3 was the exact same movie as Toy Story 2

As someone who only just saw both for the first time a month or two ago this isn't really true though the do come pretty close with the similarities they share.

• Like 1

2 is about Pete wanting to live the high life as a collectible, while 3 has Funzo trying to survive by offering up new toys to the kindergartners.  They're *vastly* different motivations, and the subplot about the toys worrying about becoming obsolete is probably the only thing that resonates throughout the series, but even *that* is handled so much differently from movie to movie.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New trailer for Toy Story 4.

Someone at Disney clearly thought the old trailer gave away too much and completely changed the edit to make it look like all the toys are involved, not just Woody and Buzz....  

I don't know... I'm just not feeling it. 

On 5/21/2019 at 2:01 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I don't know... I'm just not feeling it. 

I kinda am feeling more dread than anticipation. I feel like they already pulled off the miracle with 3 being a classic and now they're just tempting fate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two bits:

TS4 will not have an animated short in front of it. 

Also, it's still at 100% on RT, 114 reviews in.  I'm sure Armand White will come in on Thursday to fart out a review about the movie being a poor retelling of Thucydides as reimagined through an anarchic variant of Keynesian economic constructs.   

Anyway, the more important number when the RT is this high is the MetaCritic number.   It's currently 84/100, which is still damned impressive. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm also shocked because the trailers didn't wow me, but the movie defies expectations and is exceptional. Anyone who loves the Toy Story films should love this film as well.

I'm surprised as well with the expectations put upon Toy Story 4 following on what was a trilogy and the acclaim bestowed upon that. Cheers for the review, Jeffrey.

Edited by The Natural

On 6/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm sure Armand White will come in on Thursday to fart out a review about the movie being a poor retelling of Thucydides as reimagined through an anarchic variant of Keynesian economic constructs.   

RIGHT INTO MY FUCKING VEINS....

"Pixar continues to indoctrinate viewers into childish, compulsive consumerism."

This was about as perfect of an ending as you could get. It was really awesome. The trailers don't do the movie justice and that's how it should be. All of the good shit is reserved for the movie itself.

When I first saw the trailers I figured it would be good, but also completely unnecessary and then you see the movie and you're like, oh, this is what they were really going for. 3 could have ended things on a really great note, but this was perfect.

And then just a couple days ago while watching the Parks and Rec 10 year reunion that Rashida Jones left that show to write Toy Story 4. That was only 3 years after Toy Story 3 so they've been planning this for a long time. It's not the totally needless cash grab I thought it was.

It's also fucking hilarious. I laughed harder and more during this one than most any other Pixar movie I can think of. The only Pixar movie I might think is better is Inside Out. 

The ending also hits like a ton of bricks. My daughter never cries at movies and this really affected her. I felt bad, but it gave us something worthwhile to talk about.

I can't recommend the movie enough.