DVDVR Message Board

All Things Pixar

Matt D

What part of "Planes is not Pixar" befuddles you pumpkins?

And besides, Lasseter was one of several writers for the "original concept" (not even the screenplay), which could be as little as, "Remember how we did talking cars?  Why not do the same thing with airplanes?"

• Like 1

I was always pretty susceptible to crying like a bitch during, well, pretty much any movie , but Finding Dory was my first Pixar movie since becoming a parent. I was almost hysterical before the opening credits. 

Tried three other times to go see Finding Dory but it was sold out...which was reallllllllllllllllllllly fun dealing with my daughters each time. Finally saw it last night: I don't know, it was okay. Nothing epic like so many people have made it out to be. To be fair, I never really liked the Dory character, to being with.

1st episode of Food Wars 2nd Plate was... anti-climactic.

Soma, who came in tied for second during the prelims, beating Alice, who came in first, really had no drama to it. The reason why Alice lost was predictable mand the win had no drma to it like some of Soma's other wins

I'm sticking with this show still because a weak premier doesn't mean that the rest of the series will disappoint. I mean I wasn't expecting much from the 1st series and it entertained me thoroughly.

James

• 8 months later...

Aww, that looks like it will be pretty awesome... now where the fuck is my Incredibles sequel?

Also, Book Of Life much, or was Coco first?  Hard to tell because so many projects take so long to be developed or even get made into a script.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

First teaser for The Incredibles 2

Opens 6/15/2018

I will detail my thoughts about this as soon as I stop happy dancing and high fiving people around the office.

Not to resurrect locked threads, but John Lasseter is taking a leave of absence from Pixar, seemingly to get ahead of sexual misconduct allegations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/john-lasseter-taking-leave-absence-pixar-missteps-1057113

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/john-lasseters-pattern-alleged-misconduct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, S.K.o.S. said:

Not to resurrect locked threads, but John Lasseter is taking a leave of absence from Pixar, seemingly to get ahead of sexual misconduct allegations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/john-lasseter-taking-leave-absence-pixar-missteps-1057113

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/john-lasseters-pattern-alleged-misconduct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

I wonder how long it will take to cut out all of the Underminer materiel from Incredibles 2?

On 11/18/2017 at 10:01 PM, TheVileOne said:

I saw Coco today, and I cried more during the movie than I did during Up. 

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Coco was amazing. I cried tons. My daughter didn't quite understand why, but she's 7 and I took it as an opportunity to remind her I would never forget her. Then I think she understood.

...Fuck. The opening montage from Up, the scrapbook and Carl giving the kid Ellie's badge were moving especially that montage.

• Like 1

I had a friend tell me before I went to see Coco that "oh, it didn't really get to me, probably because of the culture not being my own".

That friend is an insane, soulless monster.  That last quarter of the film was just one heart punch after the other and when I finally thought I was safe and composed myself, 

Spoiler

they showed the collage of pictures towards the end of the credits of everyone's family and I lost it all over again

And really, focusing on how emotional it makes you does this movie a disservice.  It's BEAUTIFUL to the point where we bought tickets to go see it again today just because we feel like we missed so much being as swept up emotionally as we were. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Coco. Co-signing on the Up-level ugly crying. 

Narattively, I thought it was better than quite a few Pixar films I've really liked. It is interesting that it shares the same twist as some of their other movies.

Spoiler

Protagonist's hero/patriarchal figure revealed to be the villain in the last act.