DVDVR Message Board

All Things Pixar

Matt D

As much as I loved Finding Nemo, I really just do not get why this exists.  

I think making nearly $1 billion and being the 2nd highest grossing Pixar film ever are the pretty obvious answers.

As much as I loved Finding Nemo, I really just do not get why this exists.  

I think making nearly $1 billion and being the 2nd highest grossing Pixar film ever are the pretty obvious answers.

And more specifically, Disney's mandate to monetize the existing properties.

I'll rephrase.

I don't understand why this *ought* to exist. 

When I first saw Finding Nemo, I didn't get what all the fuss was about. It was a good movie and all, but I just didn't get it.

And then I had a kid. The lens I view that movie through now is completely and totally different than the one I first viewed it through.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw The Good Dinosaur with the wife and child, and my dad.

Six days after my mom died.

Which, itself, was one month to the day that my father-in-law died.

For reasons all my own, fuck that movie.

• 2 months later...

I borrowed Inside Out from the library watching it with my Dad/Sister last Friday and is the first Pixar film I’ve seen since Toy Story 3 (2010). If I had to sum Inside Out Up…see what I did there ; ) in one word…Imaginative.  Clever with the emotions in heads (liked seeing inside different brains such as the parents and animals), the different colour memories and various islands.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I cried at Finding Dory, seeing it on father's day, holding my 3 year old daughter's  hand. Screw all y'all.

I thought it worked very well as a sort of after the fact Dory origin story, not in the tragic sense (though there is that), but more in explaining and exploring what's special about her and why. In the sense that "Just Keep Swimming" and "talking to whales" are superpowers.

• Like 2

I also took the family to see Finding Dory on Father's Day and tried not to embarrass my 13 year old daughter with the extra hug as we exited the theater.  I'm happy that my daughter in her cool kidness has not quite outgrown Pixar.

Say Finding Dory yesterday with my daughter (last year we got to see Inside Out on Father's Day too, be nice if this could be a tradition) and was generally unimpressed.  Sure it was well-done, a technological marvel, everything polished to a high gloss by Pixar's army of experienced writers and animators.  It had all the fun little callbacks and fan service people were expecting 13 years after the original Finding Nemo was released.  But it felt...uninspired.  Actually what it felt like was the on-screen manifestation of Disney's rule at Pixar, demanding sequels to all intellectual properties to generate revenue.  With Incredibles 2, Cars 3, and Toy Story 4 still in the pipeline (and constituting 3 of the next 4 Pixar releases) it's obvious the studio that made 10 profitable and beloved films with only one sequel (Toy Story 2) simply doesn't exist anymore.  I would expect fewer truly daring and non-merchandising focused films like Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Up, and WAL-E, and more Cars 2, Monsters University, and, well, Finding Dory.  Ch-ching ch-ching, the mouse is hungry.

For every Inside Out there is a Monsters U, Planes, and Cars 2.  

Gotta keep the income coming in so that you can continue to bankroll that instant classic that is bookended by two or three pure revenue generators.

I'm totally okay with them putting out above average sequels to known properties if they're going to pair them with absolutely KILLER shorts like Piper.

I thought it was one of the better sequels they've put out, right behind the Toy Story ones.  Everything once they got to Morrow Bay was pretty awesome and the two whales were the hidden stars of the movie.  Dory works better as a side character as the whole "Dory forgets, hi-jinx ensue" thing gets a little old but overall I really enjoyed it (and actually managed to not fall asleep at a 11:45pm showing).  

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I cried at Finding Dory, seeing it on father's day, holding my 3 year old daughter's  hand. Screw all y'all.

You're supposed to cry during a Pixar movie. It's part of tradition now. Hell, I didn't even make it through Lava before tearing up last year.

2 hours ago, CSC said:

I thought it was one of the better sequels they've put out, right behind the Toy Story ones.  Everything once they got to Morrow Bay was pretty awesome and the two whales were the hidden stars of the movie.  Dory works better as a side character as the whole "Dory forgets, hi-jinx ensue" thing gets a little old but overall I really enjoyed it (and actually managed to not fall asleep at a 11:45pm showing).  

So you're saying this movie is like Finding Nemo crossed with Memento? I'll have to see this now.

2 hours ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

Planes is not Pixar.

It may as well have been given the animation style and the executive production team but yeah, spiritually, creatively, or technically it is not a Pixar movie.