DVDVR Message Board

All Things Pixar

Matt D

• 1 year later...

finding-dory-logo-114992.jpg

The sequel takes place six months after the first movie. Dory is living a quiet peaceful life, dealing with her forgetfulness. On a class trip with Nemo to see the manta rays migrate back home, Dory feels homesick since she doesn’t know where she comes from.

“The movie will be mostly set at the California Marine Biology Institute, a huge complex of sea life rehabilitation and aquarium, where Dory was born and raised,” Morris said. “We will get to meet new characters, like an octopus, sea lions, a beluga whale, among others.”

The film will feature the voice talents of Ellen DeGeneres, Albert Brooks, Diane Keaton and Eugene Levy. Finding Dory opens June 17, 2016.

• 5 months later...

Critics are using words like masterpiece to describe Inside Out so I know it will be like UP! and my kid will laugh at me as I weep uncontrollably through half of the movie.

Remember the trailers for Brave? They were practically nothing but a lowlight-reel of every single microsecond of toilet humor in the entire film, stitched together in a row. The people who make film trailers generally work in the marketing department of the distributor and have fuck-all to do with the actual filmmakers (who generally have zero creative control over the advertising campaign).

Last Pixar film I watched was Toy Story 3 having seen all the others before it. Wouldn't mind catching up. While I haven't watched post Toy Story 3 Pixar films, I heard they aren't at the level of Pixar's best? Is that right? Matching or surpassing Pixar's best is hard to do. I had a good feeling Inside Out would be well acclaimed. Touch wood I go that right.

Yeah, sadly Pixar couldn't continue its "holy fuck, that's a perfect masterpiece!" streak. Cars 2 is actually better than the first one, but it's still goddamned Cars and it feels more like an excuse to sell toys than a work of art. Brave had tons of potential and goes in a different direction than most of Pixar's stuff, but in the end it felt a lil' bit disappointing and was less than the sum of its parts. And I didn't even bother watching the who-asked-for-it prequel Monsters University made by some noob who had nothing to do with Monsters Inc, especially after lukewarm reviews by everyone whose opinion I cared about.

That being said, Inside Out looks pretty damn good. It's got a stellar production team, and the overall premise looks like it'll be pretty fresh and original (at least, for everyone who wasn't a fan of the TV show Herman's Head, anyway). The Good Dinosaurs has allegedly had a buncha behind-the-scenes drama and doesn't look like it's gonna be the studio's next masterpiece. But the next couple movies after that are further Toy Story and Finding Nemo sequels, made (mostly) by all the same guys who did the original flicks, so there's no reason those shouldn't both be awesome.

• Like 2

Did you see anything in the trailer for "Up" that warned you about the blubbering mess you'd be after the first 10 minutes?

When I went to see Frozen it was like UP! all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sadly Pixar couldn't continue its "holy fuck, that's a perfect masterpiece!" streak. Cars 2 is actually better than the first one, but it's still goddamned Cars and it feels more like an excuse to sell toys than a work of art. Brave had tons of potential and goes in a different direction than most of Pixar's stuff, but in the end it felt a lil' bit disappointing and was less than the sum of its parts. And I didn't even bother watching the who-asked-for-it prequel Monsters University made by some noob who had nothing to do with Monsters Inc, especially after lukewarm reviews by everyone whose opinion I cared about.

That being said, Inside Out looks pretty damn good. It's got a stellar production team, and the overall premise looks like it'll be pretty fresh and original (at least, for everyone who wasn't a fan of the TV show Herman's Head, anyway). The Good Dinosaurs has allegedly had a buncha behind-the-scenes drama and doesn't look like it's gonna be the studio's next masterpiece. But the next couple movies after that are further Toy Story and Finding Nemo sequels, made (mostly) by all the same guys who did the original flicks, so there's no reason those shouldn't both be awesome.

Cheers for the reviews, Jingus.

Inside Out is Pixar's best movie in years, and the trailers are garbage and do not do the movie justice.  Pixar's most emotional film since Up, and it will have you bawling.

Glad to hear its Pixar's best movie in years but not that it can make you cry. The first ten minutes of Up, the message in the scrapbook and the ending are moving...especially that bloody opening. Made me cry.

• Like 1

Inside Out is Pixar's best movie in years, and the trailers are garbage and do not do the movie justice.  Pixar's most emotional film since Up, and it will have you bawling.

Dammit..

I loved Inside Out.  It’s visually beautiful, it’s witty and inventive.

Here’s the thing: walking out of the movie, I was thinking it was good and sweet, but not quite phenomenal.  But the more I think about it, the more everything hits me.  It’s superb.  It tugged at my heartstrings, though not at all like I thought it would.  You know, the usual Pixar way of giving me enough emotional punches in the gut till the waterworks start pouring.  Inside Out gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling, throwing my mind back to my childhood.  Everyone has those feelings, those emotions, those events happen to them one way or another.  As awkward, silly, or obnoxious as they could be, those feelings aren’t something I want to forget.  Rather than reach my adult emotions, Inside Out spoke to the kid in me.  And I’m thus reassured that, yes, there still is some of that silly little kid in me.

Haven't seen it yet, but "best since Up" confuses me, given that Toy Story 3 was after Up and significantly better than Up

You're nuts.
  • Like 1