DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/11/2021

Dolfan in NYC

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

E3pgf-hUYAsndb3?format=jpg&name=900x900

It's so weird how he looks absolutely just like Arn Anderson's son but also simultaneously just like Tony Schiavone's son.

This was such a weird segment, with the aforementioned "Brock...Anderson" which made people wonder if they couldn't get the rights to Brock Lesnar's actual name or something. Then proceed to bring out a completely non-threatening-looking guy who stumbled in off the golf course after a full day of trying to sell jet-ski rentals to tourists. Plus there was no real explanation of how he fits into the Nightmare Factory deal. Was he trained by Cody? By QT? QT seemed surprised to see him but did he not train him?! Neither one really acknowledged that part.

For a match that was never ever in doubt, Miro-Uno was so compelling. The pre-match promo invoking Brodie, followed by the whole Dark Order coming out to cheer him on made me ALMOST think they were going to do a surprise title change, followed by him just getting destroyed, only to have a little Dark Order at the end of the night was the perfect way to book this whole deal.

Sting and Darby was awkward and weird. "Don't show up." "Okay I won't." "No seriously, don't." "Fine, I won't." "Don't show up." "I won't." I was waiting for Sting to go "Are you deaf? I've told you repeatedly I'm not coming!"

Did not care for the over-scripted way the Pinnacle did their promos. The way they each took turns delivering almost the same promo was too WWEish, didn't feel like any of them were really speaking from the heart or anything. I'm so tired of Chris Jericho redoing Attitude Era's greatest moments every week (Beer Truck? Bubble Mobile! Limo destruction? Limo Destruction!).  Next week I fully expect him to take off his shirt and have black handprints over his nipples.

I loved Penta in LU/Impact, but I'd like to see him break away from Death Triangle (Also the DT theme intro reminds me of the talking motorcycle from 'Warriors of the Lost World'...I don't care if no one gets that reference!). I think he works better as a mean, almost-indestructible create-a-wrestler than he does as a vanilla create-a-wrestler. put Fenix with Pac and throw Archer in there as a team of face cranky ass-kickers. Put Penta on his own trying to break local wrestlers' arms. 

Main event was solid. I still like Team Taz. They should recruit Leyla Hirsch, Taz could recruit her based on knowing how it feels to be disrespected based on size. Gift her the Tazmission. Team Taz needs some wins, not dissension angles. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would totally be down for Leyla Hirsch to join Team Taz. She's a perfect fit with her skill and shit-talking. She's also one of my favorites in AEW so it would be nice for her to get in some bigger spots on a more consistent basis.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

I would totally be down for Leyla Hirsch to join Team Taz. She's a perfect fit with her skill and shit-talking. She's also one of my favorites in AEW so it would be nice for her to get in some bigger spots on a more consistent basis.

To add to that, I think a cool way for a lot of these factions in AEW to evolve would be adding women to them (Kris Statlander has definitely added to Best Friends, agree that Leyla Hirsch joining Team Taz is a good shout, Anna Jay is awesome with The Dark Order when healthy, The Pinnacle would be a soft landing spot for Tessa Blanchard if AEW signs her). Now, just like the men, not every woman has to join a faction (The Good Doctor definitely should be on her own with Rebel), but it would help both some women and the groups with strategic placements.

A fun show, and adding Eddie Kingston and Brandon Cutler definitely helped tie things together with the Bucks and Penta/Pac (this match was definitely better then last week's match). My thought is that the Inner Circle segment will play better with the general AEW fan compared to this board, and in general think that the face Inner Circle is still pretty over with the live crowd (and we can test theory on 6-26 show and back full-time on the road on July 7th). I think these last few shows at Daily's Place will help tie up some of the current storylines towards the end of their road, and the build for All Out will start in earnest on the July 7th show. Assuming that AEW is running Hangman-Omega at All Out, having Hangman as a partner (maybe even mystery partner) in a multi-man match with Kenny and The Bucks would be a great way to get that kickstarted again.

Brock…Aaaasnnnderrrsonnnn,really needed several weeks or segments in one week introducing just where he came from.  It was a good idea to introduce him the first time long ago.  His name and his face are all that he has so far.  I’ve watched wrestling since ‘83ish and read about wrestling since ‘87.  While I am sure that is a decent percentage of others with similar and/or longer habits than mine I am almost equally sure that at least twice as many as my ilk don’t know much about Anderson’s/“cousin” Flair/4Hmen/JCP Or even WCW for that matter.  The only problem with giving this Brock such a buildup they should probably have a blue chipper and not a bearded lump of clay.

When I started posting regularly again I had been confused as to just where does Cody get all the hate he receives online.  Well, I might not agree 100% with the mob…I really understand them now!  Cody cannot book angles for all the neck tats in the world.  Probably throw the Bucks and Jericho on the crappy angle pile while we’re at it.  The shows are fun though.  

For a match that was never ever in doubt, Miro-Uno was so compelling. The pre-match promo invoking Brodie, followed by the whole Dark Order coming out to cheer him on made me ALMOST think they were going to do a surprise title change, followed by him just getting destroyed, only to have a little Dark Order at the end of the night was the perfect way to book this whole deal.

I found this compelling entirely for Miro who is the only one on the show tangibly building momentum during this terrible Friday run. Uno left very little impression on me and was unable to pull off the emotional "I'm doing this for my friend!" vibe. Miro on the other hand comes off like a monster staring down seven guys with the presence that he could probably take all of them and still make it to dinner on time. I think there could be something there with Dark Order vs. Miro and there could be some good television if they didn't just do a one and done. Dark Order could reasonably have their entire motivation be to get the TNT title back into the fold (which would give them something to do for the first time post Brodie). Miro could challenge all of them that each of them get a title shot but if he beats them all, they disband. You then have an escalation of stakes as Miro knocks them off one by one and the tension mounts as they become more desperate to stay together. You could either then end with Miro crushing them all and maybe having Hangman Page for revenge or have one of the Dark Order who has some potential (like Silver) get a super mammoth win at the end. 

18 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

Leyla joining Team Taz has been bandied about since her debut in AEW. Still a good idea.

12 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Leyla joining Team Taz has been bandied about since her debut in AEW. Still a good idea.

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad idea or anything, but it gets brought up enough to where now I think turning them down might get her more over than joining. But they just kinda did that with Christian, and there's no real payoff unless she like, chokes out Hook or something, so you do run the risk of killing team Taz dead(er).

Hook is supposed to be having his debut next month or so. You save the big moments for the big buildings.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well its not a three stages of hell but a master of strappitude match between Real American Cody Rhodes and QT, plus El Hijo de Arn looks like he came out of the womb 40.

I feel like we are starting to get a turn from BRIT as Nyla was pretty heelish and Brit called her out on it. It would be cool to have Shida slowly turn heel as she gets more and more obsessed at getting the belt back.

Anyone else notice a a replay of an old episode aired on sunday?

19 hours ago, Goodear said:

I found this compelling entirely for Miro who is the only one on the show tangibly building momentum during this terrible Friday run. Uno left very little impression on me and was unable to pull off the emotional "I'm doing this for my friend!" vibe. Miro on the other hand comes off like a monster staring down seven guys with the presence that he could probably take all of them and still make it to dinner on time. I think there could be something there with Dark Order vs. Miro and there could be some good television if they didn't just do a one and done. Dark Order could reasonably have their entire motivation be to get the TNT title back into the fold (which would give them something to do for the first time post Brodie). Miro could challenge all of them that each of them get a title shot but if he beats them all, they disband. You then have an escalation of stakes as Miro knocks them off one by one and the tension mounts as they become more desperate to stay together. You could either then end with Miro crushing them all and maybe having Hangman Page for revenge or have one of the Dark Order who has some potential (like Silver) get a super mammoth win at the end. 

It has to be Silver winning at the end.  I think he's coming back pretty soon so by the time it's his turn it'll be not only in front of a full crowd but with him having a bit of momentum by then.

I also have to chuckle at those flipping out over folks like JB getting a reaction.  It looked it was one of those pre-tapes with just the wrestlers surrounding the ring.  Which is fine though some of the crowd sounds without seeing said crowd is a bit jarring.

On 6/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, AxB said:

Hook is supposed to be having his debut next month or so. You save the big moments for the big buildings.

So….La Boom?  Manhattan Center?  Hammerstein Ballroom? Rahway? Giants Stadium…MSG~!  What about the hole in the wall that used to be CBGB’s?  I admit to knowing next to nothing about possible NY/NJ venues for wrestling. 

Kidding aside, Hook should 100% debut in his home prefecture in front of the right NY fans.  Undeservedly-so it would make Hook look like a star the likes of which he would have completely lucked into on several levels.

Then again one QT Marshall is also billed from NYC.  They could totally WWEify the moment as well.  This would all be done in service to the Eater of Apples, wannabe Tony Soprano, above average wrestler and below average promo man, QT Mar-SHALL~!

I can’t remember why I wanted to use a post about Hook as a jumping off point for another AEW discussion.  The farcical Hook-is-a-draw misdirection just kind of kept going.  

5 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

So….La Boom?  Manhattan Center?  Hammerstein Ballroom? Rahway? Giants Stadium…MSG~!  What about the hole in the wall that used to be CBGB’s?  I admit to knowing next to nothing about possible NY/NJ venues for wrestling. 

Kidding aside, Hook should 100% debut in his home prefecture in front of the right NY fans.  Undeservedly-so it would make Hook look like a star the likes of which he would have completely lucked into on several levels.

Then again one QT Marshall is also billed from NYC.  They could totally WWEify the moment as well.  This would all be done in service to the Eater of Apples, wannabe Tony Soprano, above average wrestler and below average promo man, QT Mar-SHALL~!

I can’t remember why I wanted to use a post about Hook as a jumping off point for another AEW discussion.  The farcical Hook-is-a-draw misdirection just kind of kept going.  

To WWE-ify the moment you're asking for Hook and QT to lose in their hometowns.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, Goodear said:

Yeah, I didn’t watch live and had heard good things but was not impressed with Uno at all. His offense, especially strikes looked terrible and his movement was not very fluid less so than I remember in his tags. Don’t know if he’s gotten out of shape or doesn’t know how to be a singles guy but it was not good.

I like the idea of Miro ending the Dark Order. The best part of the group was that they were a bunch of geeks (except Anna Jay) that Brodie Lee berated. They’re still geeks they’re just sympathetic geeks now. Not sure how much legs that will have—having Miro end the group forever would get him some major heat if he did it relatively soon.

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

I like the idea of Miro ending the Dark Order. The best part of the group was that they were a bunch of geeks (except Anna Jay) that Brodie Lee berated. They’re still geeks they’re just sympathetic geeks now.

They consistently get good babyface reactions and are a genuine feel-good story.  They're booked as friends and they watch out for other babyfaces.  That's awesome.  Why get rid of that?  Would any of them be better off on their own without the group?  How would Miro "end" the Dark Order anyway?  Does he murder them?   Does he put up his wife in a series of "loser breaks up with somebody" matches? 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Yeah, everything ends eventually, but I feel like there are at least two big story beats left for Dark Order before you even think about killing the group:

1) Of course, one of them (probably Silver or Ten) has to win the TNT title. Even if it’s just a short reign, you’d be dumb not to book that big, emotional moment.

2) I think there’s a lot of heat to be gotten from a member of DO turning heel on the group.  I don’t know if any of you remember what Preston Vance looks like without the mask, but he has a very punchable face, and the heat for Brodie’s chosen one throwing down the mask and beating down the group to launch himself as his own thing would be incredible.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 4

I really think, for the sake of Brodie's kids they won't have anyone in the Dark Order go heel anytime soon, especially 10. I think with how they have woven in real life, it would be real tough to do.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

They consistently get good babyface reactions and are a genuine feel-good story.  They're booked as friends and they watch out for other babyfaces.  That's awesome.  Why get rid of that?  Would any of them be better off on their own without the group?  How would Miro "end" the Dark Order anyway?  Does he murder them?   Does he put up his wife in a series of "loser breaks up with somebody" matches? 

I think the issue with the Dark Order is that they don't have anything to do other than run in now and again. The group doesn't really have much of a purpose which is why we make one up in terms of getting the TNT title. This is a reasonable goal for them to have considering their history. Miro could offer them the stipulation because he believes his own hype, feels invincible and would take this as an opportunity to crush some peoples' hopes and dreams. He looked ready to fight all of them at once on Friday, I don't see him having a storyline reason to believe that he couldn't wipe them out one at a time. He'd probably also aim to tap them all out as a final slap in the face.

You could then tell the story how the Dark Order keep falling but they systematically create a nick in the armor (say a hurt ankle or hand) in Miro. This allows all of them to share in the victory in the end as it was all of them together that take down the monster. It also gives Miro a bit of an out. You could also establish the line up so 10 is going to be the last guy Miro faces but HOLY SMOKES Johnny Hungry upsets him in the second to last match with a counter to the Game Over off the injured body part. Everyone comes together to celebrate but 10 has it in the back of his head that could have done it but never got the chance. That idea festers until the turn.

Regarding -1's mental state, I assume the kid is pretty smart to the business and would be willing to let one of his favorite guys get a bigger spotlight even if he turns heel. His dad was a heel most of the time after all. 10 doesn't have to spit on Brodie's picture or anything.

• Like 1

I see what you're getting at though it might be worth running this by Amanda first.  If she's cool with it and same for -1 then that might work.  But the idea of considering a heel turn feels weird to me which is why I'm still thinking Silver will be last and win it.

As mentioned, I feel like there are ways to do this hypothetical heel turn without spitting on Brodie’s lowrider, so to speak.  It doesn’t have to be a sleazy thing like that.

Also, it’s 2021: in this theoretical secenario, Vance could still babysit -1 off camera; he wouldn’t have to disown the kid like it’s 1982 or something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

How they could end is laid out in the post I responded to.

You’re reaction is why you’d do it, you take away something fans like to get the heel massive heat.

And they do get a good reaction for now but I’m not sure how long that lasts since some of it is probably related to sympathy. 

And there gimmick doesn’t really make sense anymore. They’re a cult without a cult leader that no longer really engages in cult like behavior but still retains the masks and numbers from when they were the cult.

I see the Dark Order as transitioning away from cult to a tight-knit family-type group.  If they had a way to drop the cult stuff and lean into that then they might be able to still do pretty well for themselves.  As for the sympathy part of it that's definitely true.  But I like to think that they bring enough to the table to merit being liked.

• Like 1