DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Phenomenal & Abominable - 6/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

If I ever get into Fire Pro again, I'm going to steal Phenomenal & Abominable for the name of my heel pretty boy/big-ugly-guy-who-murderizes-people tag team.

Meltzer and Alvarez have been in peak form lately.  Alvarez loses his mind over how terrible Raw is, Dave sits there and just casually says "Yep, that was something.  This is what they do.".

I finally watched the closing segment and the thing that strikes me is how cheap and campy this all looks.  WWE has the money to make a cinematic segment at least look good, but instead they do this zero production budget stuff that looks like it's being staged by a high school drama club.  Weird.

I hope they rethink this angle and it goes away, though.... if that were going to happen, would we be this far into it?  I think the endgame is to get Shayna over as a babyface and have her feud with whoever the doll possesses (I can't believer I just typed that sentence), but that seems like a bad idea.  Shayna is not the babyface to sell this angle.  I like her fine as a heel, but she seems to have practically no babyface charisma.  I'm not entirely sure an audience won't cheer the doll.

5 hours ago, CastleVania Rey said:

The most enjoyment I got out of the final segment was when the stuff was falling at Shayna, I said "Is it Erick Rowan?" That drew a laugh from my wrestling-watching-buddy who remembered that story from happier times. But then I realized I wanted Rowan back. Just not doing spooky stuff with a doll. Giant tarantula toy > ugly doll every time.

I also pondered how Alexa eventually escapes from this mess of a gimmick without getting released, assuming they don't try to run it forever. (Probably more likely Shayna gets released from this, though...) Does someone discover Lily is truly the evil force controlling Alexa and so they exorcise the demon within it, freeing her? (Maybe shouldn't have released Aleister Black then, but I guess Mansoor or Jackson Ryker can do it too) Or do they do an "I want my country back" and that's that?

I'm guessing Nikki Cross is going to "rescue" her from this. That's why they're starting to build her up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eoae said:

Shayna is not the babyface to sell this angle.  I like her fine as a heel, but she seems to have practically no babyface charisma.  I'm not entirely sure an audience won't cheer the doll.

I'm pretty sure I heard piped-in booing sounds when Shayna stepped on Lily. And when she gave the fake apology, too. So WWE already thinks the doll is the babyface I'd guess. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mystman said:

I'm guessing Nikki Cross is going to "rescue" her from this. That's why they're starting to build her up.

If this happens then I may start watching Raw again.  They're not one for long-term storylines anymore but that would be a pretty sweet payoff.

Then again MVP was trying to recruit Lashley a long time before they did the Hurt Business.  And I'm curious to see how things play out with him and Kofi.  I'm sure there's folks writing for him but if MVP's coming up with a good chunk of this I say give him the book and see how things go.

• Like 2