DVDVR Message Board

Friday Night Dynamite - 6/4/2021

Sex Machine Gun, two questions:

1) Why did you respond to the same person in two different posts, with slight variations of the same thing?

2) Is the roster too bloated to sign Andrade?

Someone doesn't understand, somehow, how responses can be disrupted by posts which are made in the intermedium. This response could well seem like a non-sequitir in the same way depending on other's activities. Crazy how that works. 

2) Andrade is a wonderful pickup but good gravy was that the shittiest fucking debut possible. No heat. Fucking cold storage shit. 

It's fun seeing people decry the use of "simp" and immediately exhibit those tendencies. You know it's okay to say when something isn't good, right? 

3 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Andrade is a wonderful pickup ...

I don't know, man. AEW only has around 7 hours a week to showcase all these guys. How long do you think Ryan Nemeth has left, with Andrade there? Maybe he should have grabbed some of those Big Macs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Nyla Rose was the MVP tonight, I loved her during that segment. Everything she did with the burgers, the balloons, and the bird at the end was pitch perfect. I liked most of the show, except for the continual slow death that is every segment involving Cody and QT Marshall. Alright, cool, he's Cody's buddy and trains people - Sara Del Rey and Albert aren't on NXT TV last I watched a few years ago, and I'm sure it hasn't changed. Just end this, man. Please. I cannot bring myself give a shit about anyone involved except (in order) Nick Commorato, Dustin, Mr. Ass, and Cody. 

Edit: Also want to say that, though I really, really like Death Triangle's whole involvement in the Kingston/Moxley/Elite angle, I really hope we get Andrade vs PAC ASAP. Andrade vs Christian for #1 contendership at some point would be another fresh, interesting match

And I've not seen one person mention that there may be more wigs to be split yet by Mark Henry. What happened to this place?!

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

I think the interview interruptions stand out more because the same shit happened/happens on Raw but the first one out cuts a 5 minute promo before the interruption. Whereas AEW generally don't do many 5 minute promos so the person interrupted is often only just getting started (most often Sting). 

Yeah, this definitely needs to be retired for a while, It's way too much. I'm guessing/hoping that's something they'll tighten up on the road, depending on how non-JAX crowds react in a live situation.

That said, the things I'll give them credit on about em though, is that 1) It's usually either a scheduled interview with Tony, or they have a graphic ready and a "We'll hear from ___" as opposed to just guys randomly walking out

2) Correct me if I'm misremembering other examples, but I think only Sting gets music when he does the interrupting (as he should, because the whole Night King intro is rad) as opposed to every guy magically getting their theme music ready for the "surprise" run in. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

Cool to see Andrade turning up. Hate the Vickie pairing though. She was screaming his name in such a way no one actually understood it until he came out. Not a great start. In terms of characters, they don't fit at all, they have literally only been paired because they're hispanic. If Penta has had his 100th flip-flop back to babyface with PAC, they should have gone with Abrahantes. 

Edited by killsteve
  • Like 1

Just me fantasy booking, but if I knew I had Andrade in the bag I think I would have debuted him at the PPV, moving the title match there to the main event and having him jump Omega after the defense. Furthers the Forbidden Door stuff re: the AAA match and makes him a much better deal than a segment 2 debut with Vickie on a show no one's really watching this week. 

Edited by For Great Justice

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Won't SOMEONE say the roster is too bloated for Andrade???

Their roster is way bloated right now. But, Andrade is someone worth going after. I'm hoping that the new show in August will help out in that regard and let them spread the talent around a bit more. I said it on twitter a month or two ago, there are probably at least twenty people on the roster that could be cut tomorrow, and I'd wager that the vast majority of AEW fans wouldn't even bat an eyelash about it. 

• Like 3

The bloated roster talk limps away with the inevitable injuries to come from this harder style.

I'm game for Andrade/Vicki.  I wish they had plotted that segment out a little better tho.  I too was kinda hoping for a AAA forbidden door crossover thing with Omega. 

This show was alotta misses.  Bucks-Pac/Penta however was not.  Fun tag.  Kinda hated seeing Pac take the fall after the camera shot considering how often wrestlers recover from weapons shots week to week.  I hope they find Pac a place to move upward again.  On the side: why have Excalibur sell the Bucks injuring Fenix in the back and not have Pac and Penta rush them off the start for revenge?  Kinda stoopid.  

Also, loved the awesome Miro and Kenny/Don promos.  And I'm kinda into the idea of Frankie Kazarian 'Elite Hunter'.       

Can Private Party get some new ring gear please?  WTF!?  Jungle Jack watch your back, 'Hall of Famer Christian' Cage is not a man to be trusted.

Damn, I was really hoping Jericho would bow out and take a seat beside Mark Henry on Rampage.  I can't think of too many things I have less interest in than a MJF-Jericho match.  Hager-Wardlow 'MMA' does sorta sound interesting.  And all in for LAX-FTR.  Sammy-Spears sounds like 'one of five main events for Dark Elevation'!  

I'm a fan of this Scorpio-Ethan Page combo, but having them cut a promo on wanting to fight Darby in a tag match again, but without Sting is a wee bit uh stoopid.  So too Taz challenging Hangman to find a partner to face Hobbs and Cage.  Why?  Lots of dumb booking. 

And man, some weeks JR is even worse than usual.  Just one idiotic comment after another.  How many times has JR said Scalded dog in the last month?  Does anybody else visualize an abused dog?  No?  A bit of dated term nonetheless.  Also, I dig Dick Murdoch the performer, but isn't it well known that he was a Klan member?  Maybe that dated reference oughtta go too.  Can they keep the old codger to simply calling the moves I wonder?  One can only hope that he says something off color enough to finally put him down.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Andrade debuted on what will end up being a low-rated Dynamite, with no music, his name got no pop because of Vicki's bad diction and timing, he interrupted an already janky Mark Henry segment, he doesn't speak great English and had a weird line about being "the face of the Latinos". SMG can be a negative lump & this debut can be bad at the same time. 

I like Dustin Rhodes. I really like the old diving bulldog being the finish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Now I watch Sammy Guevara's vlog, so it made sense to me, but did Fuego trying to save Dustin confuse anyone else?

Jungle Boy and Mark Quen had to go from a blocked top rope rana to an STF, and seemed to have little idea how to get there, so JB just did an unprotected Piledriver off the middle rope and they went from there. Could have gone all kinds of wrong, that.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

And man, some weeks JR is even worse than usual.  Just one idiotic comment after another.  How many times has JR said Scalded dog in the last month?  Does anybody else visualize an abused dog?  No?  A bit of dated term nonetheless.  Also, I dig Dick Murdoch the performer, but isn't it well known that he was a Klan member?  Maybe that dated reference oughtta go too.  Can they keep the old codger to simply calling the moves I wonder?  One can only hope that he says something off color enough to finally put him down.  

The one that made me laugh last night was JR talking about how you “never know what you’ll find on aewtix.com”. I don’t know, maybe tickets? Yeah, probably only tickets. 

That was almost as bad as a few weeks ago when, during (I think) a Jungle Boy/Darby Allin match, he said that neither would “ever be the biggest dog in the fight” when one of them had to be the biggest dog in the fight he was literally watching and calling that exact moment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Now I watch Sammy Guevara's vlog, so it made sense to me, but did Fuego trying to save Dustin confuse anyone else?

Jungle Boy and Mark Quen had to go from a blocked top rope rana to an STF, and seemed to have little idea how to get there, so JB just did an unprotected Piledriver off the middle rope and they went from there. Could have gone all kinds of wrong, that.

I thought he was going to try a top rope Styles Clash.

• Like 2

Not doing Jungle Boy vs. Omega during the tapings and saving it for the live show was a smart move. 

Andrade's debut was not executed well, but hopefully they can tweak things for him over time.

Edited by TheVileOne

I actually liked Private Party in their "club" gear. Was watching the show with some non wrestling fans and they were impressed at them wrestling in khakis. Needless to say, I was too.

Also, Miros line about surviving at the end (can't remember it off the top of my head right now) was an incredible line. I'm surprised, Miro is actually a really good interview. My god, letting people talk naturally is working!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Comoroto pushed Fuego first, so it just came across as retaliation to me.  I didn’t even think about the vlog connection until much later.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

2 hours ago, RefMattyD570 said:

The one that made me laugh last night was JR talking about how you “never know what you’ll find on aewtix.com”. I don’t know, maybe tickets? Yeah, probably only tickets. 

That was almost as bad as a few weeks ago when, during (I think) a Jungle Boy/Darby Allin match, he said that neither would “ever be the biggest dog in the fight” when one of them had to be the biggest dog in the fight he was literally watching and calling that exact moment. 

You're both sleeping on the best JR moment of the night, when he was asking if anyone was going to force him to pronounce battle royale. Holy shit, dude. Do your job and have your production meetings off air.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1