DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

7 minutes ago, Josh Mann said:

Unlike when Lucas or Marvel cashed their checks to Disney, there really isn't an entity out there that can be considered a worthy successor to being a brand gatekeeper/creator, and that's what's concerning. 

Yeah, there really isn't an analogue for WWE anywhere else in media. There's a million Star Wars spec scripts floating around in Hollywood but there's only a handful of people in the world who know how to book a promotion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

even beyond whomever ends in AEW or NJPW, this is GREAT for the indies and your lower-tier majors like ROH and MLW and even Impact who can restock their decks with talented names. All of those talents have some decent to good value to add. 

15 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I mean, that's pretty much EXACTLY what happened to TNA.

TNA never turned a profit. AEW was in the black the second they signed the TNT extension and are presumably even moreso after the pay raise/added show. If anything AEW is in a good spot to pick and choose the people that fit best for what they're trying to do. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, blitzkrieg said:

While it always sucks when people lose their jobs but how many people would they have to cut before it starts to actually affect the week to week product? 

They could cut the entire main roster and completely refresh from nXt in a week. The shows would be cheeks, but the numbers are there.

Just now, blitzkrieg said:

While it always sucks when people lose their jobs but how many people would they have to cut before it starts to actually affect the week to week product? 

At this point I think the perception of their week-to-week product is deceptively important. People see top guys like Strowman getting turfed and they start to wonder WTF is happening there internally... it doesn't help long-term and certainly not with their personnel mentally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

Dead weight in terms of guys that aren’t really very good and/or no one gives a shit about. 

Luther, Serpentico, Jack Evans, Angelico, Kip Sabian, Sonny Kiss, Joey Janela, Peter Avalon, Bononi, Ziggler’s brother, Nakazawa, Brandon Cutler, though I realize neither of those guys are likely going anywhere. Same for a majority of the Nightmare Family/Factory dudes too, but again, probably not going anywhere.

A lot of those guys are strictly jobbers, you need those. They're not taking opportunities from anyone else, get rid of them and you just need someone new to lose in their place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

Have you watched RAW in the last 8 months?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hector said:

Yeah, there really isn't an analogue for WWE anywhere else in media. There's a million Star Wars spec scripts floating around in Hollywood but there's only a handful of people in the world who know how to book a promotion.

Sadly none of those people currently work in WWE creative. 

The fact that there are plenty of people who don't see the potential joy and greatness in AEW signing a bunch of extremely talented people, and instead automatically think to the failings of TNA and late WCW, really gives you an idea about how brutal it is to even be a wrestling fan, just a bunch of glass half empty motherfuckers always expecting the worst ?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

They could cut the entire main roster and completely refresh from nXt in a week. The shows would be an improvement, but the numbers are there.

Ftfy.

19 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I fear for Gulak right now.

I don't. If there's anybody I'd like for AEW to pick up from the E it would be him. They need a technician/hard-assed wrestler worse than anything in that promotion. 

Stramalamadingdong definitely needs to go to NJPW to fill the Big Van Vader/Scott Norton/Giant Bernard role they've been missing for years.

• Like 1

Obviously you can't sign all of these folks if you're Tony Khan, but the ones with the biggest upside would be Black and Ruby. Ruby would be a huge addition to the women's roster and I could see her having some badass matches with the up and comers there. Also, if Lee gets released and he's medically cleared, you have to sign him.

Braun is just the biggest fucking surprise to me though. He was still a huge focal point of the entire company even if he didn't have lengthy title runs. He was basically being setup as their new version of the Big Show. I know his knees aren't what they were after only a handful of years, but it's not like Braun was terrible in the ring.

The rest though? It's not a surprise to see Lana or Garrett get the axe. Murphy too I suppose. Murphy I wouldn't want to see in AEW just because I don't think he'd stand out, but in NJPW though? Holy fuck. Murphy vs anyone there outside of most of the Bullet Club is exciting to think about. Plus, he's close to his home country if he's working Japan.

• Like 2

With the Forbidden Door being opened and the working relations that AEW has with TNA, New Japan, and to a lesser extent the NWA- I can envision many interesting scenarios. I personally would like to see a loose working arrangement with everyone not WWE in terms of talent rotating to limit overexposure and to keep things fresh.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 1

Somebody needs to start up a new company and just build it around the people who have been released or have left on their own accord in the past 12 months (or less). Don't know if there will be a demand for it, but available talent sure is there! Also, PAC vs Buddy Murphy, RIGHT NOW!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All this talk about Strowman going to Japan amuses me. I can't imagine that dude ever sets foot in a ring again. Is there really that much excitement for what that guy might do elsewhere? 

Buddy Murphy and Tommy End and Heidi Lovelace have real reasons for us to get fired up about their next landing spot, but Strowman? 

Maybe Drake can book him on that upcoming QAnon show as the biggest, scariest pedophile.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't. If there's anybody I'd like for AEW to pick up from the E it would be him. They need a technician/hard-assed wrestler worse than anything in that promotion. 

Stramalamadingdong definitely needs to go to NJPW to fill the Big Van Vader/Scott Norton/Giant Bernard role they've been missing for years.

He'd be an instant upgrade over the Underboss who kinda sucks, even though I understand he's loved here. I'm just not a fan. 

Well, I'm finally starting to believe those Vince is selling or stepping down rumors .

Kind of hope Braun heads to Japan. Him in NJPW would certainly have my interest.

Black will be fine though it sucks since I actually liked the Dark Father stuff they were doing with him. He also would have helped freshen things on Smackdown.

I feel like this is better for Murphy creatively and position wise with how they weren't using him. Now he has a chance to prove he can go to the top elsewhere.

Lana probably should have been released a while ago. She has taken forever to improve and is just barely passable. At this point I honestly think if she will get better it will be outside of WWE. 

Ruby was wasted. She will be fine in the indies and maybe AEW.

Poor Santana never got a chance to even fail.

I will admit that I advocate for AEW signing folks like Joe & Murphy because I like them and the more people I'm a fan of on the same show, the less time a week I have to devote to wrestling. I'm a Mustafa Ali & Ricochet release away from not even catching Raw highlights on youtube. I like Murphy and if he wants to stay stateside, AEW is the place for him. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh god. If Pride were still a thing, they would have paid all the money to have Braun fight, um someone little.

@w. josh: We start our own fed + this above. Somebody on this board has to have less than six degrees of separation from Daiju Takase and Ikuhisa Minowa. 

• Like 2