DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

6 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Wait a minute, did Orton RKO Chandler and I somehow missed that?

He’ll be there for you. 

After the switch they should have Ortin come out to La Bamba.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, L_W_P said:

But knowing Vince we will probably get a Randy Orton title win to say "Thanks for doing all that Friend stuff last year".

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Wait a minute, did Orton RKO Chandler and I somehow missed that?

e34fe829-2ac9-42e8-abb1-6b9f8b89544b-scr

"Randy, did you poo in Monica's shoe?"

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Meltzer said the reason he was told was "injuries, a big salary and an influx of new talent (like Dilsher Shanky, Babatunde and Omos)". He went on to say that he was also told that Braun was "two years past his peak".

If someone who works for WWE legitimately did tell Meltzer that, that guy's a dick.

To be fair, Braun is two years past his peak.

On the other hand, WWE is fucking dumb for not going with the hot hand when Braun was the most over thing in the company and beating Roman and not putting the strap on him then.

At some point, PULL THE TRIGGER ON THESE GUYS WHEN THEY'RE AT THEIR PEAK! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I just randomly looked up Joe Hennig from last year's purge.  I'd only seen a couple of forgettable clips of him, but he looks really promising from this 11 year old FCW clip. 

I think he was decent in the ring. Good shape, decent set of skills, but I think his problem is he never evolved beyond being "Mr. Perfect's son." Like Bray Wyatt had that problem when he was Husky Harris. Even when he adopted the name Curtis Axel, he was still living in the shadow of his father. 

To be fair, Braun is two years past his peak.

On the other hand, WWE is fucking dumb for not going with the hot hand when Braun was the most over thing in the company and beating Roman and not putting the strap on him then.

At some point, PULL THE TRIGGER ON THESE GUYS WHEN THEY'RE AT THEIR PEAK! 

I mean in terms of heat and reaction and audience interest, Lesnar was about five years past his peak when WWE still continued to use him as a main event champion attraction.

The WWE Universe constantly rejected Roman Reigns as the anointed top babyface, yet they continued to shove it down the audience's throats and made him the poochie of WWE even though guys like Jon Moxley had gotten significantly more over and had a greater connection with the fans.

Edited by TheVileOne

Braun was one of the dudes that got me sort of interested in WWE again. The Roman matches and that 4-way at Summerfest made him look so legit, and then they just had Brock squash him in a few minutes. I'm honestly surprised he hung around for this long after that epic heat-killing. Any time he built up steam after that loss he would instantly get jobbed out again. He was toast after that stupid Nicholas tag team match at WrestleMania 34. One of many reasons that was the last WWE event I ever watched in full.

As badass as I thought he was though I have no interest in him coming to AEW. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 6:24 PM, TheVileOne said:

I think he was decent in the ring. Good shape, decent set of skills, but I think his problem is he never evolved beyond being "Mr. Perfect's son." Like Bray Wyatt had that problem when he was Husky Harris. Even when he adopted the name Curtis Axel, he was still living in the shadow of his father. 

On his podcast, Arn spoke of him glowingly.  And described his WWE run as 'they cut his water off too soon'.  He looks crisp in this clip against Helmsley, and I like the stoppage finish here.  I'd like to see this guy get a shot outside of the Titan Sports brand.     

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I always thought Hennigs issue was that he didn't lean into being the Son of Mr Perfect enough!

He should have been doing the vignettes hitting 7-10 splits, half court 3 pointers, 50 yard FGs etc

He's improved the Perfect Plex by turning it into a spinning 3 handle with a bridging pin.

It should have been a silver bullet gimmick. If he hits that move and gets the bridge then he wins. If you want him in the mid/low card then make the issue that he's not quite good enough in other aspects of wrestling to hit that move consistently.

He can't always wear people down enough or stun them long enough to lock it in.

Now you have a gimmick, built on a much loved icon, that can shuffle up and down the card as needed, with little expectation.

It should have been obvious but we know how WWE are with obvious/logical booking.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I always thought Hennigs issue was that he didn't lean into being the Son of Mr Perfect enough!

He should have been doing the vignettes hitting 7-10 splits, half court 3 pointers, 50 yard FGs etc

He's improved the Perfect Plex by turning it into a spinning 3 handle with a bridging pin.

It should have been a silver bullet gimmick. If he hits that move and gets the bridge then he wins. If you want him in the mid/low card then make the issue that he's not quite good enough in other aspects of wrestling to hit that move consistently.

He can't always wear people down enough or stun them long enough to lock it in.

Now you have a gimmick, built on a much loved icon, that can shuffle up and down the card as needed, with little expectation.

It should have been obvious but we know how WWE are with obvious/logical booking.

Not sure if that would've worked, but it was something they could've tried at least. I just think he was kept too plain jane for most of his WWE career.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Poor guy was DOA when they had him debut as a McGillicutty and not as a Hennig. 

Dude had a birthright as a 3rd generation wrestler. What happened to him was one of the greatest travesties of WWE "creative"...and that covers a fucking ton of travesties. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Do you have anything on this that indicates that LJN was willing to pull their contracts because Slaughter had a GI Joe figure? 

Not directly, no. I had always heard and read about things from the Hasbro side (being a G.I. Joe guy). The story I always heard was that Slaughter either didn't notify WWF and/or didn't cut them in on a percentage of his earnings, drawing ire from Vince.

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

E2-_YpTXwAQSMXH?format=jpg&name=small

WWE 2018 to WWE 2021.

Paige is still there?

11 hours ago, Mister TV said:

The McMahon's have always wanted a massive cut of any side deals, in Bruno's book he talks about Linda calling him up demanding a cut of what Bruno got for the Bally's Atlantic City commercials, Bruno wasn't working for the WWF at the time and the McMahon's had no part in him getting the commercial.

This. Another example to cite is the issue over the unreleased Jesse Ventura Sega Genesis video game.

40 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Poor guy was DOA when they had him debut as a McGillicutty and not as a Hennig. 

Dude had a birthright as a 3rd generation wrestler. What happened to him was one of the greatest travesties of WWE "creative"...and that covers a fucking ton of travesties. 

The dumb names for everyone are cringe-inducing. I'm honestly shocked Dolph Ziggler has done as well as he has, even when they went out of their way to kneecap him with the name, the dumb finisher names, the generic short haircut, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Are people seriously trying to pretend Joe Hennig wasn't bland as fuck and didn't even have a tenth of his father's charisma and presence? He was not a major star WWE missed out on, and even his potential as a decent midcarder wasn't anything above anyone else in WWE. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I think its interesting that Vince desperately wants to believe he isn't in the wrasslin business he's in the entertainment business. But can't let wrestling go. One of the big problems with the original XFL was that it had to be WWE brand football, first person you see one the first broadcast? The Rock. Same with WWE films instead of having it be Titan films or whatever and having it be its own thing it has to be WWE films starring wrestlers in endless Marine sequels 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Are people seriously trying to pretend Joe Hennig wasn't bland as fuck and didn't even have a tenth of his father's charisma and presence? He was not a major star WWE missed out on, and even his potential as a decent midcarder wasn't anything above anyone else in WWE. 

Honestly he never had his dad's ceiling but he had a sneaky amount of charisma and he became a technician in the ring. The problem was that he was introduced via the old school NXT and never recovered. He's a mix of Larry and Curt. 

• Like 1

I always thought his haircut made him look like a knob, too. It sounds crazy but I think if he simply combed the front of his hair to the side and not directly down, which made him look like he had these weird bangs, and shaved off the beard, he would've come across much better. 

I know that there are "rednecks" in Minnesota but I just didn't understand why Curtis Axel's "look" was guy who unloads pallets at Home Depot and only drinks Budweiser. That's not to say these folks can't be cultured or intellectual or deep thinkers, but when I think of Mr. Perfect, I think of an elite athlete who could not only do amazing feats in sports, but would also be a world-class poker player, a connoisseur of fine wines and foods, a real Renaissance man.

Curtis Axel was presented as not just generic, but generic in a specific way that made him seem, I dunno, greasy and trashy to me. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

A friend pointed me to the fact what a wasted opportunity the following was... 

Nobody ever went on to cut a promo where they said "You may think you are perfect, but in the end, you are just an average Joe!" Honestly, nothing but good things for him, but the only thing he got me hooked with was that Genesis of McGuillicutty promo...

15 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Ruby Riott I believe is going to do very well outside of WWE. Frankly, I think she will become an even bigger star now. 

I think it's safe to say most everyone they have released and or will release will go on to become a bigger star. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DMJ said:

I know that there are "rednecks" in Minnesota

Yeah, not only rednecks, but apparently "cowboys" too, as his father attested to, later on in his career. But ok, maybe Joe somehow takes after his mother's side of the family, or something?

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:18 AM, Andrew POE! said:

I always try to consider the source with anything from Meltzer. It could be possible Braun Strowman could be asked to come back at a lower salary just to be in the WWE and on TV (remember, Strowman had said that if he were to quit wrestling, it would be for the WWE). But considering who is there (and part of me thinks Bruce Prichard fed Meltzer the information), I doubt it.

I've heard it being a possibility, it's obvious in hindsight that his cut was because of his contract. I could also see WWE convincing themselves that they are really missing out buy not having him back but if they did bring him back after a while. It would make him more over because of him being away and the sympathy of getting cut in the first place. 

Based on WWEs new business logic they might as well go back to a 1995 type WWE roster with only about 35 to 40 talent wrestling, a hand full of Agents and 4 to 5 people tops in creative including Vince.