DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

I would strongly argue that Ruby/Heidi is the lowest-risk potential AEW signee released this year and I'm saying this as somebody who would hotshot the championship to Tommy End if given the book. I would pay her before I payed anybody else.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

charliemurphylaughing.gif

Nobody except the McMahons thinks of WWE as this diverse fun entertainment company on par with Marvel.  Vince is the guy who saw Freddie Prinze Jr on the company plane watching a comedy show on his phone and told him he should watch some Santino instead, since that should cover his need for comedy just fine.  This is the "we make movies, pal" mentality writ large.  Vince thinks they make a variety show that can satisfy every niche.   He's delusional.  This is where being surrounded by yes men since 1984 gets you.

That mentality got Vince a company currently valued by the market at $4.4 billion and one that made over $200 million in profit during the pandemic. How is he wrong here?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think fans are justified over their fears with TNA and not wanting to see the same thing happen to AEW. Because look at where TNA is now. Sure Impact has made strides and is not the punchline of the wrestling industry anymore, but they are on a marginal network pulling marginal viewership when at one point they seemed to have a real shot of making a go of it but constantly got in their own way.

And then you see shades of the same things that brought down TNA in Cody Rhodes.

That mentality got Vince a company currently valued by the market at $4.4 billion and one that made over $200 million in profit during the pandemic. How is he wrong here?

They fired more than half the roster to do it. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

This argument assumes that profit/market cap and quality/diversity of entertainment relate to one another.

He's been great at riding a bunch of waves - the streaming content wave, the live TV content wave, the draconian ME regimes do sportswashing wave - but that has nothing to do with the quality of the programs.

EDIT: I would give him credit for going broadly PG and putting out an inoffensive (for pro wrestling) show that is part of a brand with legit name recognition. That put him in position to make all those deals. If that's where you're coming from, I agree with you. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

And then you see shades of the same things that brought down TNA in Cody Rhodes.

I've actually gotten to the point with Cody Rhodes to tune out whenever I see him on TV. I didn't even bother to look up in the Ogogo match and I think I spent most of it in the toilet. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

I think fans are justified over their fears with TNA and not wanting to see the same thing happen to AEW. Because look at where TNA is now. Sure Impact has made strides and is not the punchline of the wrestling industry anymore, but they are on a marginal network pulling marginal viewership when at one point they seemed to have a real shot of making a go of it but constantly got in their own way.

The talent TNA chose to sign had almost nothing to do with their decline. I promise, you can all stop being afraid of the boogeyman that is your misunderstanding of that promotion. Fantasize more freely in the knowledge that those dreams coming true probably won’t cause a lick of promotion-neutering harm. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I enjoy when I get to read threads like this in one go. My jaw dropped at that first post, and by the end (so far, here at p. 12) my eyes have glazed over at the multiples arguments and reiterations of the same facts. As one who doesn't watch WWE, it is great to maybe see some extraordinary talents in a different and more productive setting. Two things w/o quoting - I'm still seething that someone compared Buddy Murphy (p6), whom I have been digging since his NXT tag team days and would be an asset to any fed to Kenny Omega whom has never interested me in the least and his whole gimmick seems to be someone cosplaying a pro wrestler (skillfully, I admit). And comparing the IP value of a potential WWE sale to that of the recent MGM purchase (p9)? It is laughable to think that the IP of WWE even compares in value to the MGM film library in Quantity, importance or money generating ability. Don't get me wrong: I personally I love me some Ben Hur but I am far more likely to seek ot Mid Altlantic Wrestling episode #239, y'know. 

still reading, RAF

p.s. - Bodhisattva bless thee interWeb & thee DVDVR. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I've actually gotten to the point with Cody Rhodes to tune out whenever I see him on TV. I didn't even bother to look up in the Ogogo match and I think I spent most of it in the toilet. 

I don't even dislike Cody as a wrestler or personality as I often did Jarrett throughout TNA. But I just feel like he's let Vince and Triple H get into his head. Or maybe he hasn't and he's just working this as some really exaggerated gimmick. And if it is nothing more than a gimmick, he's way overdoing it.

Tommy Dreamer on Busted Open today upon hearing of the cuts was very heartfelt in knowing what these wrestlers are going through (especially since they had just finished an interview with Mickie James). He stated if anyone wants a job to give him a call, and highlighted that Tommy End can go anywhere... and he really put over Lana's work in the last year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The talent TNA chose to sign had almost nothing to do with their decline. I promise, you can all stop being afraid of the boogeyman that is your misunderstanding of that promotion. Fantasize more freely in the knowledge that those dreams coming true probably won’t cause a lick of promotion-neutering harm. 

It definitely had some to do with it yes.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I don't watch AEW much outside of the occasional women's match, but are these people seriously worse than Lana?

In terms of the folks who make Dynamite- the only one I'd say that's worse is Brandi.

As for AEW: Tommy End is a must sign, Heidi Lovelance/Lana would be nice to have, everyone else to me is unneeded, though signing them wouldn't be a bad thing.

For AEW right now, you should only sign folks if they're going to be draws, or really help the draws.

Buddy Murphy is good, but AEW has a lot of good wrestlers comparable to him, and I don't see anything that shows him as anything other than a very good wrestler.   He'd be an improvement over the Sydals, that would be the perfect spot for him.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I enjoy when I get to read threads like this in one go. My jaw dropped at that first post, and by the end (so far, here at p. 12) my eyes have glazed over at the multiples arguments and reiterations of the same facts. As one who doesn't watch WWE, it is great to maybe see some extraordinary talents in a different and more productive setting. Two things w/o quoting - I'm still seething that someone compared Buddy Murphy (p6), whom I have been digging since his NXT tag team days and would be an asset to any fed to Kenny Omega whom has never interested me in the least and his whole gimmick seems to be someone cosplaying a pro wrestler (skillfully, I admit). And comparing the IP value of a potential WWE sale to that of the recent MGM purchase (p9)? It is laughable to think that the IP of WWE even compares in value to the MGM film library in Quantity, importance or money generating ability. Don't get me wrong: I personally I love me some Ben Hur but I am far more likely to seek ot Mid Altlantic Wrestling episode #239, y'know. 

still reading, RAF

I completely missed the Buddy Murphy =/= Omega.... Buddy is so clearly a ginger PAC. I freaking love Buddy Murphy and will gladly follow him wherever he ends up. I think his career is going to take off now. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This argument assumes that profit/market cap and quality/diversity of entertainment relate to one another.

He's been great at riding a bunch of waves - the streaming content wave, the live TV content wave, the draconian ME regimes do sportswashing wave - but that has nothing to do with the quality of the programs.

EDIT: I would give him credit for going broadly PG and putting out an inoffensive (for pro wrestling) show that is part of a brand with legit name recognition. That put him in position to make all those deals. If that's where you're coming from, I agree with you. 

I would say that Vince's primary goal is to make money and build up the value of his company. And I would say a lot more people agree with his idea of what's entertainment than wrestling message boards and diehard fans responses on Twitter would have you believe, with the evidence being how consistently profitable his company is.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

still reading, RAF

Hey, I love old movies too, but if Singin' in the Rain were still a large draw in 2021, MGM woulda went for a lot more than 8.5B. 

(I was wrong, though - they still produce a fair amount of stuff. It's worth it to Amazon to have a full-on production house, but I do digress). 

(Also, speaking of Singin' in the Rain, the actor whose name escapes me who did "Make 'Em Laugh" is an elite-level bumper and would have been great in a pro wrestling ring).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

still reading, RAF

I think Murphy is great, but the issue is I don't see where he fits in with AEW right now on an already bloated roster where they are constantly putting tons of people on TV every week and doing tons of post-match brawls. I fear he gets lost in the shuffle almost kind of like what happened with him in WWE.

There are other rosters and other promotions that could get more mileage out of Murphy right now and also probably give him more opportunities to work and showcase himself and get his confidence back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I'm still seething that someone compared Buddy Murphy (p6), whom I have been digging since his NXT tag team days and would be an asset to any fed to Kenny Omega whom has never interested me in the least and his whole gimmick seems to be someone cosplaying a pro wrestler (skillfully, I admit). 

@Jiji, answer for your sins! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

OK, so are we to just call Aleister Black Tommy End? Everyone seems to be going all in with Tommy End now.

Seeing as how nobody is named Aleister Black anymore, I'm gonna call Tommy End by the name he's calling himself. And I wouldn't do that if there wasn't hours upon hours of footage of a dude named Tommy End calling himself Tommy End and kicking a lot of ass while doing so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Greggulator: I can't go there with you at all. Viewership has plummeted in their shows. You can point to the fragmentation of the entertainment market, but they're just not good at putting out a show that lots of people want to watch in the mainstream, at least in 2021. They've made their money by selling the brand, which now has the cachet of being a long-standing, premier brand with legendary past IP that is nearly synonymous with pro wrestling in the United States. 

HOWEVER, without KSA wanting to sportswash away human rights abuses and without companies scrambling for live TV and streaming content, they are almost surely nowhere near as profitable or as valuable. They're valuable in 2021 mostly because of the current market, not because of McMahon's creative vision or ability to reach a mainstream audience. But we can agree to disagree on that. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Malcom McDowell? ?

Chairshots, monkey flips, dropkicks, table spots, a better bump through glass than Kurt/Shane, in what universe is this not a MOTYC?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Malcom McDowell? ?

It's Donald O'Connor. I just looked it up so that I could put some respect on his name. 

4 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Hey, I love old movies too, but if Singin' in the Rain were still a large draw in 2021, MGM woulda went for a lot more than 8.5B. 

(I was wrong, though - they still produce a fair amount of stuff. It's worth it to Amazon to have a full-on production house, but I do digress). 

(Also, speaking of Singin' in the Rain, the actor whose name escapes me who did "Make 'Em Laugh" is an elite-level bumper and would have been great in a pro wrestling ring).

That is crazy funny, because I was recently watching a compilation of Donald O'Connor stunt dances (That's Entertainment or YouTube? I am I 20 or 60?) and I am thinking this guy has it all - selling, promos, high-flying, footwork, psychology - but was always the Randy Savage #2 to Gene Kelly's Hulk Hogan #1. That prettyboy got all the attention.

- RAF

p.s. - this is the first of many in my RAF Pride Month Tribute Posts. Collect them all!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3