DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - Fightful reported that, unsurprisingly, the primary reason Braun was cut was his contract

And Meltzer sure seems to be implying that the cuts today were prompted by an all time disastrous RAW rating this week

To come back to Point #2

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, matt925 said:

That is pretty crazy. Anything on monday besides nba playoffs? I know showbuzz is down, what rank were they that night?

Well it was Memorial Day too

Even so... oof

• Like 2

As good as some of these names are, I don't want AEW snapping them all up. It just feels too much like TNA/Impact putting WWE castoffs above their home grown guys.

They mostly need help with the women's roster so give me Ruby Rose as a contender, the IIconics causing mischief, Trinidad managing Black, Lana supporting Miro, and then Joe as a special attraction only.

If Bryan is available then you obviously sign him but that's it. There's no need to go and get everyone.

Murphy to NJPW please. I need to see him vs White, Ibushi, KENTA... maybe a one shot against Naito/Tanahashi/Okada. Whoever said he would rule a G1 is spot on.

Andrade in NJPW to team up with Naito for a year. Then turn on him.

Can we get Andrade/Naito v White/Murphy?

• Like 1

Needlessly prioritizing homegrown stars while eschewing outside talent continues to be a mindset that makes no sense. 

Oh, don't snap them all up, only eight? I don't see how what you're suggesting is all that different from anything Impact ever did. Especially in a company that's already got Jericho, Christian, Sting, Miro, FTR, Dustin, Mox, Hager, etc. floating around.

Impact's use of talent who had established themselves elsewhere is long since due for a widespread re-evaluation. 

• Like 4

The issue with TNA/Impact's use of them is that they sometimes got positioning on the card that got in the way of or actively hurt the positioning of their homegrown stars, particularly Monty Brown and AJ Styles. Not everyone who came over from WWE/WCW needed to be positioned that highly up the card. 

HOWEVER, a lot of those guys got used correctly. Voodoo Kin Mafia was a tag team in the mix for the titles - makes sense. Angle and Christian at the top of the card was fine. Gail Kim came in and was fantastic in getting their Women's division going - in 2009/2010, it was a genuine plus for the company. 

In the end, though, most of the issue in that company really comes from Jarrett killing off guys like Brown and Killings who had something going and later on Hogan and Bischoff pulling a WCW-redux with the roster. 

I'll give Impact this: People who did not get big on the WWE's stage got over. Not just the Joes and AJs who always were going to get over, but your Storms, Roodes, Kongs, Wildes, etc. I just wish the company had better management than Jarrett --> Dixie because instead of trying to futilely compete with WWE, they could have built something nice and sustainable on their own terms. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
Minor editing. ALWAYS minor editing.
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

It just feels too much like TNA/Impact putting WWE castoffs above their home grown guys.

Outside of Angle, Truth, Christian, and maybe Tomko, TNA was signing WWE castoffs who were easily on the downside of their careers. They were never going to get much out of guys like Hall and Nash outside of name recognition. But someone like Buddy Murphy, who's got all of the talent in the world, but was never given a chance to really show how good he can be? That's different. And if Kenny has a problem with him, you tell him to put on his big boy britches and deal with it like a professional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

All this talk about Strowman going to Japan amuses me. I can't imagine that dude ever sets foot in a ring again. Is there really that much excitement for what that guy might do elsewhere? 

I'm excited to see him join AEW's commentary team.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 2

The issue with Impact was that they were also getting a lot of guys who weren't really that good to be fair. The talent that is being released by WWE now seems to be more "talented" than it has ever been before. I'm going to assume that's because guys like Tommy End, Samoa Joe, Andrade, ect. had already made their name and established themselves before ever going to WWE.

There is a big difference between AEW signing Buddy Murphy, Andrade, Samoa Joe, Tommy End, and Ruby Riot compared to people TNA had to choose from like Jimmy Wang Yang, Shannon Moore, Orlando Jordan, Tomko, Brodus Clay, Bob Holly, and Funaki. All those names I listed from recently, anyone reading this knows their skill and what they can do because of what they did prior to their WWE run. All those other names I listed from yesteryear, they didn't have any PWG's or AAA or RoH or Shimmer to fall back on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

As good as some of these names are, I don't want AEW snapping them all up. It just feels too much like TNA/Impact putting WWE castoffs above their home grown guys.

I hate this narrative. It's lazy. And it's inaccurate.

Without "WCW cast offs" Jean Paul, Stunning Steve, Cactus Jack, & Mean Mark WWE never over takes the Monday Night Wars. Without "territory cast offs"  the 80s WWF expansion never takes off. Without "WWF cast offs" Hogan, Savage, Hall & Nash WCW never becomes the number one wrestling promotion.

Just because TNA sucks and could never make the formula work, doesn't make the formula a mistake.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The 3 guys you name... its not even remotely the same thing. Hell Even Bischoff has admitted to singing guys simply because they were ex-WWF. Austin and Taker were lightning in a bottle characters that ended up being right time right place and had nothing to do with them being ex-WCW. Trips was BARELY on WCW TV and was smart by going to  WWF and saying "WCW is offering me this much, I'm worth more than that" and WWF agreed with him. 

Hell Bischoff signed Lanny Poffo and never used him. He had him on payroll just to have him (ok probably as a favor to Randy Savage, but still)

James

Yeah, I guess if you're Braun you have to know that sooner or later, Johnny Ace/Vince are going to come back to offer you a new deal or a part timer bullshit thing. If you're Braun and you've seen what Brock and Goldberg got away with, then yeah, why go anywhere else when WWE will come back to you, give you a sweet part time thing with a run as champion?

I didn't really think about that before because I was mainly thinking about how cool he'd be in Japan, but that part timer scenario will be the one that plays out. In the meanwhile, he'll just sit on all the money he hopefully saved up and do some other bullshit in the meanwhile.

1 minute ago, J.H. said:

The 3 guys you name... its not even remotely the same thing. Hell Even Bischoff has admitted to singing guys simply because they were ex-WWF. Austin and Taker were lightning in a bottle characters that ended up being right time right place and had nothing to do with them being ex-WCW. Trips was BARELY on WCW TV and was smart by going to  WWF and saying "WCW is offering me this much, I'm worth more than that" and WWF agreed with him. 

Hell Bischoff signed Lanny Poffo and never used him. He had him on payroll just to have him (ok probably as a favor to Randy Savage, but still)

James

So are you disputing the fact that WWE were able to come back and take over WCW because "Austin and Taker were lightning in a bottle characters"? What's your argument here. I literally said they would not have come back without the four performers listed. Are you saying WWE still would have? Or? Like you can't catch the Stone Cold lightning in a bottle if he's never on your roster.... so....

My whole point is just because a performer was somewhere else first, doesn't mean signing them is a bad idea. Wrestling has a long history of missing on prospects. Vince was wrong when he said Hogan was washed up and couldn't be a top draw anymore. Bischoff was wrong when he said Steve Austin was a middle of the road guy and no one would pay to see a guy in black tights and boots.

TNA not maximizing the formula doesn't make the formula bad. It makes TNA bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TNA picked up over-the-hill guys who were pigeon-holed (rightly or wrongly) as "WWE guys." These guys (other than Braun) are kind of the opposite, part of the "WWE doesn't know how to utilize their talent" narrative. It's why Rusev works in AEW but Cardona didn't.

Maybe I'm not being concise with my point.

People are advocating for AEW to not sign a lot of these guys purely because of the narrative TNA tried that and it didn't work.

But if you are consistent with not signing talented people just because they were elsewhere you would have missed out on the Undertaker, Stone Cold, the nWo, Savage being awesome in WCW. Who here can say Tommy End or Andrade have no chance of catching lightning in a bottle. Maybe Daniel Bryan shows up in AEW and shit just clicks right and it's the catalyst to another boom period. Who knows. But the only thing for sure is saying don't sign people that came from WWE because TNA failed at it is a stupid reason to miss out on some big time entertaining talents.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1