DVDVR Message Board

2021 The WWE Purge, Part 2

Pete

Apparently Braun really fucking hates traveling, so while I think Japan would be ideal for him from a fan perspective, i doubt those awful trips are going to be worthwhile for him professionally unless he is getting a lot of money. 

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

So where does this leave Cassie Lee and Jessie McKay, now that the "hottest free agents" torch has been ripped from their fingers?

I think @BobbyWhiouxwould like to have a word with you.  ?  But seriously though I think they'll be fine either way.

6 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I agree but I'm not entirely sure what my quote has to do with that, I mean it would be one thing if I had said such a thing myself but I did not so color me confused.

Because you were talking about pessimistic folks expecting the worst and to me the optimistic SIGN EVERYONE I LIKE! THESE OTHER PEOPLE CAN LOSE THEIR JOBS!!! is just bad.

I am not accusing you of saying that just that there is the flip side to that coin that isn't better

• Like 3

Despite the bloat-talkers, Tony Khan recently floated the idea of a roster EXPANSION, with Rampage on the horizon.

ETA: Even if AEW did have to cut some folks to make room, those folks would be able to demand, like, three times their old rate on the indies.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

Regarding that second set of names - Fightful is saying that they haven't heard any of those names from anyone.

Not that it might not be true but not a single one of those names had been brought up to Fightful yet

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Because you were talking about pessimistic folks expecting the worst and to me the optimistic SIGN EVERYONE I LIKE! THESE OTHER PEOPLE CAN LOSE THEIR JOBS!!! is just bad.

I am not accusing you of saying that just that there is the flip side to that coin that isn't better

Again, agreed. Personally I don't hate AEW signing a whole bunch of new people and keeping the majority of the roster they already have. They may already have a pretty big group of talents but there have been so many other times in the past where at large rosters have been maintained and managed well. On top of that, a lot of the people on Dark and Elevation aren't even signed, anyway. So yeah that's why I'm thinking people are being pessimistic when they automatically jump to the idea that it's going to be TNA redone.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 1

Just to circle back to something said earlier, I agree 100% that AEW could cut some of their current weakest acts, add new stuff, and be just fine. I get the sense Tony Khan understood enough about what went wrong with WCW to avoid, like, paying Brad Armstrong 100K not to fucking wrestle, you know?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

AEW could use all the help they can get in the women’s division, even with all the improvements they’ve made. Cass and Jessie will be just fine.

Maybe it's just me, but they seem to need help everywhere. Ever since Jericho dropped the belt, the main event scene has felt like a hodgepodge of random mid card challengers. Brining in guys like Black and Samoa Joe could probably alleviate that.

• Like 1

BTW - Fightful reported that, unsurprisingly, the primary reason Braun was cut was his contract

And Meltzer sure seems to be implying that the cuts today were prompted by an all time disastrous RAW rating this week

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wherever he goes, I think Tommy End is still an interesting guy, with some potential.  As poorly as he was used on the main roster, it was always more an issue of them seemingly forgetting to use him, rather than using him as a joke or a job guy.  When he was on TV, he was booked respectably.  There’s still some mystique there that could be utilized by a promotion that knows what they’re doing with him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

For those of you in the VINCE WILL NEVER SELL CAMP - Brandon from Wrestlenomics is your Champion

Thread (with an appearance by @JonnyLaw too ?)

He posits that "Nick Khan and Kristina Salen critiquing and reshaping what George Barrios and Michelle Wilson left behind", but weren't Barrios and Wilson critiquing all the signings and hoardings, and were then fired for essentially being right? Am I misremembering that story?

• Haha 1

For the doomsday crew that wanna cut a bunch of the AEW roster to make room... I don't think AEW is going to do releases. The only people they have released were problem issues stemming from speaking out. (And letting Kylie Rae go when she had issues and wanted out). On the flip side, Shanna & Awesome Kong's contracts just expired. Maybe AEW is going to be a the first wrestling company to, GASP, honor their end of a contract.

It's kind of bullshit from a performer stand point you enter into an agreement you are stuck in for the duration of the deal, but the company can terminate whenever. maybe, just maybe, AEW is going to let people's contracts expire instead of cutting them early. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my end.

Point being, maybe chill on the lets fire all these innocent athletes just doing their job because I personally don't like them / see the value in them. Even if your opinion is 100% valid and the truth, can't you just let them quietly collect their agreed to contracts instead of firing them?

Just some food for thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

For the doomsday crew that wanna cut a bunch of the AEW roster to make room... I don't think AEW is going to do releases. The only people they have released were problem issues stemming from speaking out. (And letting Kylie Rae go when she had issues and wanted out). On the flip side, Shanna & Awesome Kong's contracts just expired. Maybe AEW is going to be a the first wrestling company to, GASP, honor their end of a contract.

It's kind of bullshit from a performer stand point you enter into an agreement you are stuck in for the duration of the deal, but the company can terminate whenever. maybe, just maybe, AEW is going to let people's contracts expire instead of cutting them early. Or maybe that is just wishful thinking on my end.

Point being, maybe chill on the lets fire all these innocent athletes just doing their job because I personally don't like them / see the value in them. Even if your opinion is 100% valid and the truth, can't you just let them quietly collect their agreed to contracts instead of firing them?

Just some food for thought.

Just to add to this and I alluded to it earlier, but Elevation and Dark are full of wrestlers who are not signed, so what seems like a huge roster already is much smaller when you're going by who's got a contract. There is room for more, this is absolutely not late era WCW by any means.

• Like 8

To go back to @NikoBaltimore''s point about ROH - I think you have to remember that ROH basically took a year off while still paying everyone.

Sinclair clearly was cool with that but hasn't really seemed too keen on signing new folks. I feel like all the recent signings are just locking up folks already there who had expiring deals.

Now if someone at Sinclair is paying attention and realizes there might be a growing market (or a chance to exploit an opening) then maybe. But I doubt they are gonna be bringing in folks on the level of Joe and Bryan and Braun

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Now if someone at Sinclair is paying attention and realizes there might be a growing market (or a chance to exploit an opening) then maybe. But I doubt they are gonna be bringing in folks on the level of Joe and Bryan and Braun

Murphy, though...

• Like 1