DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover XXXV: In Your House XXIX - 6/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

When a roman numeral gimmick goes horribly wrong.  

The Card~

FATAL FIVE-WAY FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Karrion Kross (c) vs. Adam Cole (bb) vs. Kyle O'Reilly vs. Pete Dunne vs. Johnny Gargano

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Raquel Gonzalez (c) vs. Ember Moon

WINNER TAKE ALL SIX MAN TAG TEAM MATCH FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN & TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Bronson Reed (c) / MSK (c) vs. Legado Del Fantasma

LADDER MATCH FOR THE MILLION DOLLAR CHAMPIONSHIP  - LA Knight vs. Cameron Grimes

Mercedes Martinez vs. Xia Li

---

Pre-Show feat. S*m R*berts, Justin Barrasso, & Arash Markazi

Pre-Pre Show feat. EVER-RISE~

I'm underwhelmed by the line-up. For the main event, I'd take anyone other than Kross, even Cole as NXT Champion. Still wish Balor was holding the belt to drop it to either Dunne or O'Reilly.

Edited by The Natural

11 hours ago, L_W_P said:

This would have been the perfect time to bring back the scramble match for the title.

10 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

WWE gave up on the Scramble match too soon me and a few friends still talk about the short time Brian Kendrick was Champion. 

I'd like the Scramble match back. 

OIP.eMgf-XjGcWVc5gDEBrfZHAHaED?pid=ImgDe

@Hail Sabin: You forgot The ;).

On the subject of The Brian Kendrick:

Seeing Ezekiel Jackson in the Titantron video reminds me of Daniel Bryan and William Regal bollocking Jackson for disrespecting Bryan, especially Regal.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

The worst thing about the 5-way is that even with 5 options, there doesn't seem to be a great winner. Kross' reign is a dud, as has been discussed many times. Possibly still salvageable, so losing a multi-way without taking the fall is the right move. Cole is as stale as it gets and is even lamer without a stable propping him up. Gargano's backstage segments are awesome, but he's still Johnny Wrestling in his singles matches. Much like Cole, we've already seen too much of that, and the main belt would only serve to feature his worst attributes and downplay his best ones right now. KoR has promise, and as such, should have a better chase and climactic finish to an eventual title win. That leaves Pete Dunne, who would be the best winner, just the least likely. But if Walter ain't walking through that door any time soon and Escobar is just NA-level, I'd say Dunne's the best option to hold the strap until KoR gets some momentum. At least he'll have the best matches of the bunch.

• Like 2

Holy shit. That main event was awesome. Definitely and absolutely. I deny any criticism... I mean, yes, it was a scramble city match, but it was a super good one.

I also really liked MSK and Bronson vs. Legado.

Good show in general. Your move, Hell in a Cell.

• Like 1

Expectations were pretty low going in, but what a dud of a show. Gotta be in the convo for worst Takeover ever.

Six man was fun and a good way to start the show. All downhill from there.

Mercedes/Li was a nothing match with no real business being on a Takeover, especially considering neither Toni, Io, Candice, Indi, Dakota, or Sarray had a match tonight.

The less said about that ladder match the better. Eli Drake is a fucking shits.

Raquel/Ember was fine, and Raquel has improved a ton, but she’s like, the 10th most talented woman on the roster.

The most enjoyable parts of the main event were of course the parts Kross was not involved in, but at the end HHH’s nocturnal emission stands tall. Kyle taking the fall seemed like the worst possible choice, but I assume that means he’ll be the one to take the belt when they finally fuck Kross off to Raw or Smackdown. Enjoyed the live crowed giving him the response he deserves though, which is absolute fucking apathy.

• Sad 1

Overall the show was better than I was expecting.

MSK and Legado have been two of my favorite acts in NXT for a while now and always have great chemistry. The match was a hot opener but felt short, even though it was 13 minutes. I'm glad they retained as Reed is looking good as NA champ.

This was the best I've seen Xia Li look so far and Mercedes always brings the goods. The end reminded me of beating a video game boss only for the real boss to come out afterwards and totally trounce you. Normally I'm not in for goofy supernatural-type shit in wrestling as WWE can't pull it off with any degree of subtlety, but Xia's schtick hasn't been too far over the top yet. I'm curious to see what they do with Mei Ying and hope she doesn't turn into a female Fiend. 

I like Grimes but Drake, while good on the mic is completely uninteresting in the ring. That said, he put up a good effort here and bumped pretty hard. They should have put Dibiase on commentary. Ladder matches are really overdone in NXT.

The women's title match was fine and both competitors looked good but it didn't blow me away.

The main event overachieved for me. I'm pretty over WWE style multiman matches and both Gargano and Cole are two people I have no desire to see again anytime soon. I ended up enjoying the match for the most part, though I wish either Dunne or Oriely had won.

MSK/Bronson vs. Legado del Fantasma was super fun as a expected.

Xia/Mercedes was fine but not really a Takeover level match.

Ladder match was alright with some decent moments. Will be fun seeing Grimes chase for the Million Dollar belt.

Raquel/Ember was solid-good though it feels like they had a better match in them.

The main event was fun in parts, but I'm kind of tired of multi-man matches so I could only enjoy this so much. I thought Kross was used well, but a live audience made it more obvious than anything how not over Kross is. He needs to lose the title asap.

Regal's comments at the end were interesting. Hopefully he isn't leaving as GM.

Solid show but nothing amazing.

The main event was about as good of that type of match as you can have. Pete Dunne ate the fuck out of that backflip double superkick.

Opener was similarly fun and the middle matches were fine, if nothing special. Overall, it was a much easier watch than Stand and Deliver.

Regal leaving is interesting, but I really hope they don't expand the new authority figure's role on the show. Regal's on the show just the right amount to move stuff along and occasionally say something funny without being the focus of anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Is that Samoan fella that was released coming in as Regal's replacement? ????

Geez I hope not, for his sake. Why would anyone with options sign there right now? Or ever, now that they think they’re Marvel?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Is that Samoan fella that was released coming in as Regal's replacement? ????

That should make people think twice about starting shit up, but it might even make for a bit too peaceful NXT with everyone walking on eggshells.

Prior to the show happening - Meltzer said he was told Joe would be coming in "in a Regal type role"

Dave followed up to say that while he isn't certain that that is what is happening - the angle with Regal sure seems to be pointing to Joe replacing Regal

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I thought Joe still wanted to be in the ring?

My guess is he got an outside opinion and the news wasn’t good, so he might as well take the steady paycheck.

• Sad 1