DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

Jason Momoa not only auditioned for Drax the Destroyer, he was offered the part. Turned it down. Too similar to what he'd already been doing.

But then was willing to play Aquaman a bit later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Jason Momoa not only auditioned for Drax the Destroyer, he was offered the part. Turned it down. Too similar to what he'd already been doing.

I don't think he could have brought the funny and sweetness that Big Dave did. 

• Like 5

When you watch Guardians one, you can kind of see the Drax character evolving in front of your eyes. The group dynamic entirely shifts - it's set up for Star Lord to be the funny one and Drax to be the stoic. But then they realise that Dave Bautista is better at comedy than Chris Pratt, so it changes.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m intrigued by the theory that Wanda becoming the Scarlet Witch was the moment Kang paused and said they were beyond the threshold. While this wouldn’t matter in a “kayfabe”/in universe sense, the two scenes apparently happen at almost the exact same time in each finale.

Kang pauses and then says they've crossed the threshold when Wanda reveals her first rune. It doesn't line up exactly like you said, but it's interesting for sure. I'm wondering if it syncs up when Kang says he knew what was going to happen up until 10 seconds ago vs. Agatha telling Wanda she doesn't know what she's done after she becomes the Scarlet Witch. Up until that point, Earth-199999 didn't have a Nexus being.

I think it does matter, personally. Do I think scenes lining up like that are intentional? Probably not. But it's all connected, obviously. Falcon & Winter Solider will play into other shows too, like Armor Wars and Hawkeye I'd imagine (and eventually the movies). These shows aren't just going to be simple set pieces for us to get to know side characters better - that's one of the purposes, for sure, but it's not the only reason these D+ shows exist. They're not dumping movie budgets into streaming shows just so I can understand Loki's past trauma better to enrich previous films that he was in, or see Bucky close the door on the Winter Soldier - it's to set up something bigger. Okay, rant over ?

• Like 1

It’s cool how they’re splitting into a more spy/Earth-bound section of the MCU (F&WS, Black Widow) and a more cosmic/magical section (WandaVision, Loki, probably Dr Strange 2). I guess Spiderman may have a bit of both. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 7:02 AM, Matt D said:

Also, if you play the Captain America inspirational video from Spider-Man: Homecoming backwards, you get a secret message about his life with Peggy...

Come on guys. This is just coincidence.

BRB, gonna sync up Dark Side of the Moon with Iron Man 3.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RIPPA unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I...didn't care much for this?  Enjoyed most of the acting, enjoyed Sylvie, enjoyed the other variant Lokis, but...ehhhhhhh, I can just do without the goalpost-moving of what this is supposed to set up.  I wish it had been more self-contained, ultimately.

On 7/14/2021 at 1:21 PM, Matt D said:

I will say this: having seen this finale, there's no reason at all that Mephisto couldn't have been in the last episode of WandaVision. Absolutely none. It would have been exactly the same thing.

I think one could argue a good reason we didn't see - shouldn't have seen - Mephisto in that situation is *because* it would be exactly the same thing.

On 7/14/2021 at 4:00 PM, TheVileOne said:

I was not all that impressed with the performance of Jonathan Majors. But I hope this version of the character is not the basis or starting point for THE actual Kang the Conqueror. Since it was basically a He Who Remains variant version of Kang, my hope is when we actually get to Kang the Conqueror, it's something more imposing.

Loki called him "terrifying," but I never felt that at all. He came off as impish and Puck-like. But I never felt like he was a danger or like his humorous veneer was hiding something dark and ugly. 

This was my big problem.  If he were always this much of a goof, how did he end up winning?  And if he were once significantly more dangerous, but then spent all this time alone and went this nuts, to the point of being feeble, why wouldn't every other Kang end up the same way?  Either way, it didn't work for me.  I get the whole "If the crazy one is this bad, the other variants are truly dangerous" idea, but this didn't execute well. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, AxB said:

Pretty much every role Jason Momoa plays is similar to what he's already doing. 

Even Duncan Idaho in Dune is now Dude Bro Momoa.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

the wife and I watched Loki this week. Damn, what a good show. the interactions between Loki and Owen Wilson were grand. Loki and Sylvie being so narcissistic that they could only fall for another Loki was fantastic, as was the fact that they couldn't trust each other and betrayed themselves. The end of time with all the Loki variants was superb (Alligator Loki FTW). 

i popped big for the Thanos Copter. Had to pause and explain it to my wife because i was laughing so hard. 

a Kang who is literally out of his mind with boredom wasn't what i expected, but i'm ok with it because of what it sets up. The Kang statue in the TVA base was aces. 

Season 2 can't come soon enough.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • Dolfan in NYC changed the title to LOKI (Disney+ Series)
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, keith_h said:

FYI - there is a post credits scene on Loki S2 Ep1

That reminded me that they were supposed to do some kind of promotional tie in with that restaurant, where they retro design a current location to match the one in the show. (Is that vague enough without giving anything away) 

I’m in the middle of watching the first episode now and I’m laughing my ass off. This is still the best of the MCU TV shows. I also think Hiddleston may be the funniest actor in the MCU.

• Like 2

That ruled. I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about this series I love so much. I’m not sure if it’s all of time stuff that I’m a nerd for, the aesthetic of everything, the acting, the music, or what.

• Like 3