DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

I really enjoyed this episode, but there were a few things that took rewinds to figure out what was going on. When Mobius Time Couriered himself out I thought "Huh?" I remembered that Sylvie stole one, but couldn't that device have been part of the planning of the attack?  Did I miss a scene where they talked about the fact that they had a device to send Mobius back to the TVA?

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

I feel like everyone would do well to moderate their expectations for these MCU shows as far as introducing major new characters like Kang.  I know we’re still early in this little experiment, but through the first two series, these shows have primarily been focused on fleshing out underserved secondary/tertiary characters and not so much introducing new characters that are going to be of supreme importance to the movies.  My guess is that, while the shows are in-continuity and relevant to developing characters, the movies are still being designed to stand on their own, without prior knowledge of the TV being necessary.  So I really don’t see Kang appearing on this show, nor any overt references to him.

Of course, I also feel like people might be getting ahead of themselves on Kang being the next Thanos-level threat to the MCU anyway.  To the best of my knowledge, nobody at Marvel has said that’s the plan (and Feige loves to tell you The Plan). And while the comic Kang is that type of character, it’s entirely possible that the MCU Kang IS an Ant-Man tier, one-off villain.  It wouldn’t be the first time that they have scaled-down a villain.

Its the same deal as everyone speculating about Young Avengers setups despite there being no currently announced plans for Young Avengers and Feige won’t even wink/nod at it, the way that he loves to do, when he’s been asked about it.  Everybody setting themselves up for disappointment.

• Like 2

I'm with you on what it seems like the shows are (hint: they serve themselves). I'm with you on the idea that Kang might be something else entirely. I do think there are just too many pieces on the board not to lead to Young Avengers. That said, both that and some sort of Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts with Val driving it aren't inevitable. It does follow the idea of pieces coming together, which has been a big success for Marvel up til now.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I feel like everyone would do well to moderate their expectations for these MCU shows as far as introducing major new characters like Kang.  I know we’re still early in this little experiment, but through the first two series, these shows have primarily been focused on fleshing out underserved secondary/tertiary characters and not so much introducing new characters that are going to be of supreme importance to the movies.  My guess is that, while the shows are in-continuity and relevant to developing characters, the movies are still being designed to stand on their own, without prior knowledge of the TV being necessary.  So I really don’t see Kang appearing on this show, nor any overt references to him.

I mean WandaVision introduced Monica who is now co-starring in a movie with Carol and Kamala. Its also introduced Wanda and Vision's kids who we know end up in the Young Avengers. Similarly Patriot was introduced in F&W albeit on a much smaller scale. We also got Contessa and US Agent with them building to something towards the end. These series are absolutely focused on fleshing out their main characters, but they are still MCU and setting up building blocks for the future as well, however large or small.

Young Avengers is not a thing!  Those kids don’t even exist!

EDIT: I mean, I at least understand how people could jump to that conclusion with Wanda’s kids because they’re treated as significant characters on the show.  But when people starred talking like PATRIOT/YOUNG AVENGERS CONFIRMED because an inconsequential background character was given a familiar name as an Easter egg, that’s when the whole thing jumped the shark into “Monica is going to meet Reed Richards” territory.

Edited by EVA

Well, each TV show has introduced one of them, so it’s hard not to think these are seeds being planted, not Easter eggs.  I could see them finally becoming a team during Secret Invasion so that’s a year or two away. 

14 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I really enjoyed this episode, but there were a few things that took rewinds to figure out what was going on. When Mobius Time Couriered himself out I thought "Huh?" I remembered that Sylvie stole one, but couldn't that device have been part of the planning of the attack?  Did I miss a scene where they talked about the fact that they had a device to send Mobius back to the TVA?

The TemPad Mobius used to get back from the Void was Ravonna's.  Sylvie demanded it right before the minutemen showed up and she pruned herself.

31 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

The TemPad Mobius used to get back from the Void was Ravonna's.  Sylvie demanded it right before the minutemen showed up and she pruned herself.

Right. That's it. But it just seemed like there was a missing line before she gives it to Mobius to explain why they're sending him there to burn it down. Was there something said when they were in the car that I missed?

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Young Avengers is not a thing!  Those kids don’t even exist!

EDIT: I mean, I at least understand how people could jump to that conclusion with Wanda’s kids because they’re treated as significant characters on the show.  But when people starred talking like PATRIOT/YOUNG AVENGERS CONFIRMED because an inconsequential background character was given a familiar name as an Easter egg, that’s when the whole thing jumped the shark into “Monica is going to meet Reed Richards” territory.

I'm more moved by stuff like America Chavez debuting in Dr. Strange.

There will be a lot of pieces on the board a year or two from now.

Ms. Marvel. Stature. Patriot. Wiccan and Speed. Kate Bishop. America. Maybe a multiversal Miles and/or Gwen. With pretty easy entry points for Teddy/Hulkling. Even a teen Loki if you need one.

A lot of pieces on the board.

I'm not saying anything is confirmed or anything is absolute, but I would say it's a fairly safe bet that they're setting up at least some of these pieces for an ensemble bit following the formula that was so successful with Avengers/Infinity War/Endgame (the latter being one of the most successful things ever).

• Like 3

If they're doing Young Avengers, somebody really good has to be at the helm and has to handle it really carefully.  Because I keep seeing commercials for DC TITANS and these young, edgy superheroes are cringeworthy as shit.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 1:51 PM, Technico Support said:

If they're doing Young Avengers, somebody really good has to be at the helm and has to handle it really carefully.  Because I keep seeing commercials for DC TITANS and these young, edgy superheroes are cringeworthy as shit.

I doubt they will go for edgy in the first place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Trying to decide  if I want to stay up stupid late to watch the finale even though I have work in the morning. 

I know I shouldn't do it, but I want to.

Join us! I'm fortunate that WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Loki episodes drop at 8am UK time. Refreshing to get that benefit compared to WWE/UFC/AEW PPVs. UFC main card PPVs go out 3am Sunday morning. AEW PPVs when on a Saturday is 1am Sunday morning and on a Sunday, Monday at 1am lasting between three and four hours. WWE PPVs go out midnight Monday morning time. You have to be hardcore and a tad foolish to do them live.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just finished the finale. Good episode. Miss Minutes greets Loki and Sylvie saying He Who Remains can give them what they've always wanted but both reject it and meet him. He Who Remains is Kang! Kang gives his backstory that he found out about the multiverse joining his counterparts to do good but some wanted it all. This Kang survived it and created the TVA. Kang says by killing him you could unleash new branches on the Sacred Timeline or rule the TVA because they're could be someone out there worse at running the ship. Sylvie still wants to kill him while Loki doesn't due to Kang's warning. Sylvie sends Loki through the gateway door and kills Kang. Back at the TVA there's multiple new branches, the multiverse. Mobius doesn't recognise Loki. Episode ends on a statue, the three Time Keepers replaced by one of Kang. Mid-credits scene: Loki's file is red stamped with "Loki will return in season two."

Edited by The Natural