DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

3 hours ago, Casey said:

They confirmed that Loki is bisexual, too.

Makes sense given his penchant for changing his shape so how rigid can his sexuality really be?  I mean the dude gave birth to Odin's eight legged horse in classical Norse mythology.

• Like 4

I mean if we were following Norse mythology in the MCU, Thor would be a bloodthirsty asshole and Hela would have been Loki’s daughter.

They’ve never really given an inclination within the MCU that Loki is bisexual or gender fluid, this is the first outright mention of it. Shit, the gender fluid thing isn’t even *directly* mentioned in the show (yet) - it was in a TVA file on him for a split second during a social media teaser before the show aired.

I know that MCU Loki did not birth Slepnir and we all know that Hela was MCU-conned to be Odin's daughter and Thor's older sister. 

Just saying that there is enough real life inspiration to support MCU Loki's gender fluidity.  

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean if we were following Norse mythology in the MCU, Thor would be a bloodthirsty asshole and Hela would have been Loki’s daughter.

They’ve never really given an inclination within the MCU that Loki is bisexual or gender fluid, this is the first outright mention of it. Shit, the gender fluid thing isn’t even *directly* mentioned in the show (yet) - it was in a TVA file on him for a split second during a social media teaser before the show aired.

Well not Hela in the MCU.

This was more of a character building episode this week, which was fine. That said, there were a three major reveals:

Spoiler

1. The TVA workers are humans or used to be. They are variants like Loki and Sylvie. Earlier, we were told the Time Keepers created all the agents. We know that's possibly not the case. Perhaps this explains why Mobius likes Josta and jet skis.

2. Sylvie mentioned she's been running from the TVA her whole life and called them "omniscient fascists." Seems to be an implication here that Sylvie isn't trying to usurp or replace the Time Keepers but simply trying to get away or be free of them. 

3. Sylvie besides the fact that she eschewed the name Loki and renamed herself had a very different upbringing and has different powers than Tom Hiddleston Variant Loki.

This week's episode felt very much like David Tennant or Matt Smith era Doctor Who episode. Alien planet on its last legs about to explode, but still focusing on intimate character drama between two people as things are crumbling around them.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Finished the episode a little bit ago. Was nice getting a somewhat slower episode and getting to know Sylvie. With the big reveal on the TVA agents I'm pretty curious to see what else we will find out the group is hiding.

• Like 2

She's totally trying to extract info from him. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I'm in love with the show, but I could watch Tom Hiddleston fuck around as Loki for a good long while before I got tired of it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm in love with the show, but I could watch Tom Hiddleston fuck around as Loki for a good long while before I got tired of it.

My only complaint with this show is that it's only going to be six episodes. Fantastic stuff to this point. 

• Like 2

Yeah, put me in with the camp that thinks this is all an illusion by Sylvie to interrogate Loki.

I didn't like the episode.  There were no stakes at all because you know this planet is not going to blow up and kill off these characters.  So what you get is something almost like a "bottle episode" where it's just an hour of characters talking/exposition/info dump and, unless you're just in love with the characters and could watch Tom Hiddleson read the phone book, it's kinda dull.

19 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m also torn between thinking that the destroyed TemPad was just an illusion and that most of the episode was happening in Loki’s mind after Sylvie enchanted him.

Or what if Loki is playing a longer game here?

But if the TVA is lying about the workers' origins, it makes you wonder what else they're lying about.

Edited by TheVileOne

I suppose that's an option as well, but I think the cuter thing would be Sylvie trying to con Loki. The first moment I thought the whole thing was in Loki's mind was the two of them sitting at the table and connecting with each other like how Sylvie was connecting with the Minuteman agent at the start of the episode.

It would be lamer if Loki was duping Sylvie the whole time with illusion magic and had a fully powered tempad the whole time. It still fits in with his character to test someone to the extent where they want to pull their hair out and just walk away, but I think I prefer Loki resisting Sylvie's powers. 

Now, what will really bug me and turn me all the way off on this show is if this keeps up for more episodes and then we get the reveal that they're still back where they were and Sylvie is trying to crack Loki. If you're going to introduce a huge thing like Sylvie dropping a bunch of bombs to multiple points in time to completely fuck the time stream, then you need to start showing how chaotic that is and you only have 3 episodes left to do that in. And saving whatever carnage she unleashes for the Doctor Strange sequel will be even more annoying.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

If you're going to introduce a huge thing like Sylvie dropping a bunch of bombs to multiple points in time to completely fuck the time stream, then you need to start showing how chaotic that is and you only have 3 episodes left to do that in.

You nailed why I didn't like this episode but couldn't put my finger on it.  They just kicked off a cataclysmic event to end episode 2, started episode 3 with Sylvie running to confront the Timekeepers...then hit the brakes on everything by jumping off to a sidequest where two characters fuck about on another planet, ride a choo choo, drink, and talk about their moms. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Or what if Loki is playing a longer game here?

But if the TVA is lying about the workers' origins, it makes you wonder what else they're lying about.

That’s one reason I love the show, with the two Lokis you know they’re trying to one up each other to come out on top, so figuring out who is playing the longest game is fun.

The TVA definitely seems like it isn’t what it seems, but I’m not sure exactly in which way. At this point, I half expect Miss Minutes to somehow be behind things.

It really doesn’t feel like we’re already halfway through the show.  I can see things wrapping up relatively quickly, so between that and it obviously leading into future MCU stuff in someway, I can already see people being disappointed.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1