DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

I really like the tone of this so far. Strong first episode too. Very cool effects. Him watching his own death was pretty heavy for episode one but I dug it. Is there going to be a fake out with the villain or is this really going to be Loki vs an alternate version of Loki? I'm actually hoping for the latter. Either way I'm in. Best opening episode of a Disney+ Marvel series yet.

• Like 2

I don’t think the gems were nerfed by them being used as literal paperweights as much as by the “reveal” that the sacred timeline is the only timeline allowed to exist and thus the gems can only truly be used if the Timekeepers allow them to be used.  I thought the drawer full of gems was an effective way to have Loki realize that what he envisioned as ultimate power was totally useless in his current situation. What a mindfuck for the chaotic god of mischief to discover all his devious, rebellious trickery had essentially been preordained and that he dies at the hands of someone who managed to do what he was never able to do. 

I laughed at the Mephisto tease, whether intentional or not, because I read a Ringer article speculating about the show where one of their writers said they were happy to not have to deal with such things. That and the nightmare mention felt like they were knowing winks at the audience.

I can’t wait to see Loki burn down the TVA at the end to set the stage for the Multiverse re-emerging. I’m also interested to see if it somehow plays into What If?.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, The Natural said:
  Hide contents

E3cFQSsVoAYmavt?format=jpg&name=900x900

E3cAs1vUYAY5loQ?format=jpg&name=large

I don't find this to be fair. If the TVA's goal is to preserve the main timeline, and they have future knowledge that says the Avengers are largely going to clean up their Endgame mess, why should they be all that interested? Getting involved most assuredly increases the odds of them creating alternate realities, which goes against their sole reason for existing. The only reason they rolled up on Loki so fast is because no Avenger was going to come back and reverse that, and that shit was assuredly going to spiral out of control. 

Based on where some of these sequels seem to be going (Spiderman, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange), Loki burning this shit to the ground gets decent odds on my part. Don't even care which Loki. But I think I'm actively cheering for that result just so the MCU gets as weird as possible. 

Hiddleston has always played our favourite murderous scamp with a good deal with pathos. His acknowledgement of his own projection in this one adds to that legacy. Very enjoyable first episode. 

• Like 5

The TVA aren't there to protect people and save worlds. They are there to protect the "sacred timeline" from variants and branches from taking things off-course. Apparently what the Avengers did was "meant" to happen.

As for the Eternals standing by and not acting proactively, I imagine the movie is going to address that, but we'll see.

I don’t think the gems were nerfed by them being used as literal paperweights as much as by the “reveal” that the sacred timeline is the only timeline allowed to exist and thus the gems can only truly be used if the Timekeepers allow them to be used.  I thought the drawer full of gems was an effective way to have Loki realize that what he envisioned as ultimate power was totally useless in his current situation. What a mindfuck for the chaotic god of mischief to discover all his devious, rebellious trickery had essentially been preordained and that he dies at the hands of someone who managed to do what he was never able to do. 

To suddenly do that to the Infinity Stones is still a little questionable in my opinion. It's jarring. The Infinity Stones/Gauntlet were established as like the ultimate power in the universe. And to just suddenly introduce new characters and a new dimension that says, "oh they don't work here, they don't work on us," almost like a comedic gag was a bit problematic to me. It was my main problem with this episode.

Edited by TheVileOne

We loved the first episode a ton.  I'm cool with Loki but didn't think I would enjoy Owen Wilson as much as I am so far.  Guess I wasn't a big fan of his all this time.  One thing I really like is with Wandavision and Falcon it took a couple episodes to set the tone and get really good in my eyes.  With Loki they assumed you're quite familiar with him and quickly jump right into the progression from "mischievous little shit" to "Oh, God, what have I done?"  I can't wait to see how this plays out and feel this will be the best of the D+ shows so far.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The TVA aren't there to protect people and save worlds. They are there to protect the "sacred timeline" from variants and branches from taking things off-course.

I agree. They’re not “the good guys.” They let half of all life in the universe die, along with all the resultant trauma, because they thought it was supposed to happen that way.  If the Avengers tried to go back and stop that in some way they didn’t approve of, the TVA would have kept them from doing so.

As to vile one’s last point, I get it, but the way I see it is that the gems are still the most powerful items in the universe, but the TVA is outside the multiverse, let alone a single universe. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

I kept getting distracted by Mark Gruenwald being there all the time, and then the Josta showed up and I about lost it.  Such a great detail/homage.

I'm glad someone else noticed that!  I kept thinking, "of course he's drinking a soda that doesn't exist anymore."

I didn't mind the Infinity Stones thing.  The reasoning for them not working makes sense, and it worked perfectly in "breaking" Loki.

So there were two examples shown of the evil, time-hopping Loki trapping the Hunters and stealing their timeline-destroying devices.  So I'm guessing this is another Loki who discovered the TVA and Loki Prime's death, and is trying to create alternate timelines and destroy the "Sacred Timeline" to avoid that.

LOL @ Loki being DB Cooper.

Gems thing is silly, yeah. Superman only has power under a yellow sun. Infinity Gems don't work outside of the normal plane of existence. Could someone theoretically gather a bunch of them and bring them back to a reality that they do work? Sure, but the fact the TVA is so flippant about a possibility like that (just like they were so flippant about Loki being able to get out and move freely) is just a sign of their arrogance.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm glad someone else noticed that!  I kept thinking, "of course he's drinking a soda that doesn't exist anymore."

Josta was actually Gru's drink of choice!  It being 25 years since his death made me  kind of emotional seeing it.

• Like 3

Watched the first episode last night and loved it. It was a great setup episode with everything we learn about the TVA and seeing Loki broken down a bit as he is confronted head on about who he is and why he does what he does. 

I actually loved what they did with the Infinity Gems. It was a good way to force Loki to acknowledge just how damn small he is. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, EVA said:

I’ve seen the Hannibal Lecter films used as a reference point for the show, but I feel like the premise is actually more like 48 HOURS?

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Serious LEGION vibes, which my wife marked out for. 

Neither of these feel too accurate. Loki isn't a remorseless sociopath or psychopath so Hannibal feels like an odd comparison. Other than using a criminal to catch a criminal I don't get a 48 Hours vibe at all. And while it does have some nice strangeness vibes, its nowhere near the wacked out nature of Legion.

Edited by Eivion

37 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I had no idea Josta was a real thing before this show. Too bad it wasn't Clearly Canadian.

Clearly Canadian is being made again. It tastes different than it used to taste. 

Now Orbitz soda on the other hand...

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Neither of these feel too accurate... And while it does have some nice strangeness vibes, its nowhere near the wacked out nature of Legion.

Uh, great? You know, feelings and opinions aren't facts, right? The TVA has a very 70s vibe to it and big, weird rooms with seemingly both advanced and outdated technology, and LOTS of browns and oranges. Style wise and more, it reminds ME and my wife of Legion, even if it isn't bananas for the sake of being bananas. 

• Like 2