DVDVR Message Board

LOKI (Disney+ Series)

E2Ucz4IVEAoeexD?format=jpg&name=medium

In exactly a week's time, Loki (2021) debuts on a Wednesday and not the usual Friday so thought it was timeVA there's a topic for this. More of Tom Hiddleston's Loki is a good thing, both a standout villain and a standout character in the MCU - think of the ground that covers. Here's a Loki from Thor (2011)/The Avengers (2012) and not the Loki who developed further as seen in Thor: The Dark World (2013), Thor: Ragnarok (2017) and Avengers: Infinity War (2018).

I've a feeling Loki will be different and that'll make it stand out like WandaVision (2021). This is the third MCU show on Disney+ following WandaVision and the Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just released. Didn't know Tom Hiddleston is an Executive Producer on Loki. Fittingly so. I can only think of two other Executive Producers who act in the MCU, the late, great Stan Lee and Jon Faverau.

This series is going to be interesting.  As @The Naturalpointed out, Loki is a very well-developed character that's changed quite a lot on his journey though the MCU.  I'm assuming that this series will begin with the moment that Loki took the time stone in Endgame and disappeared.  That Loki is still pure-villain Loki.  In a way, Hiddleston will have to wipe all of that development the character had in later movies and start from scratch.  It'll be interesting to see if Loki ends up in the same place as he did on the original timeline.

• Like 2

Just finished the first episode. It's a good one introducing yourself to the TVA, Time Variance Authority as we get a Loki from Thor/The Avengers before his progression in later movies. It's a return to the arrogant self entitled Loki. I didn't expect Loki to find out so soon what happened to him post Avengers, thought that might be saved for an episode or two on. Enjoyed the chemistry between Loki and Mobius. Laughed at the collection of Infinity Stones at the TVA which can't be used there. The TVA needs Loki because the Variant killing Minutemen is a Loki.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Loki has a real introspective moment:

"I don't enjoy hurting people, I...I don't enjoy it. I do it because I have to, because I've had to. Because it's part of the illusion. It's the cruel elaborate trick conjured by the weak to inspire fear."

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I've never really cared for Loki, throughout any of the movies he's been in. Part of the reason, for me, that first Avengers movie is such a slog to get through is actually because of Loki (and Hawkeye being evil, which was fuckin' lame). But this first episode has me really interested in where they're going with this. I wonder if the Loki they're hunting is Old Man Loki or Lady Loki. There was a brief clip earlier in the week on Twitter of some files the TVA has on Loki that listed his gender as fluid.

This was basically a really slick, 54 minute episode of Loki watching his own Marvel Studios' Legends episode. I might not be as into the character as others, but I'll be damned if Tom Hiddleston isn't a great actor. The last 5 minutes with Mobius was great, as was Loki watching his own character progression in the span of, like, a minute and a half. The joy on his face when he pulls the knife on Thanos, then he's just crestfallen when he sees where that gets him.

(Also of note - the judge that was sentencing Loki early on in the episode is actually the lover of Kang the Conqueror in the comics. Fan expectation of him showing up in this before Ant-Man 3 might lead to another Mephisto situation from WandaVision, but I'd say this one is more likely due to the theme of the show.)

"I'll gut you like a fish."

"What's a fish?"

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I've never really cared for Loki, throughout any of the movies he's been in. Part of the reason, for me, that first Avengers movie is such a slog to get through is actually because of Loki (and Hawkeye being evil, which was fuckin' lame). But this first episode has me really interested in where they're going with this. I wonder if the Loki they're hunting is Old Man Loki or Lady Loki. There was a brief clip earlier in the week on Twitter of some files the TVA has on Loki that listed his gender as fluid.

This was basically a really slick, 54 minute episode of Loki watching his own Marvel Studios' Legends episode. I might not be as into the character as others, but I'll be damned if Tom Hiddleston isn't a great actor. The last 5 minutes with Mobius was great, as was Loki watching his own character progression in the span of, like, a minute and a half. The joy on his face when he pulls the knife on Thanos, then he's just crestfallen when he sees where that gets him.

(Also of note - the judge that was sentencing Loki early on in the episode is actually the lover of Kang the Conqueror in the comics. Fan expectation of him showing up in this before Ant-Man 3 might lead to another Mephisto situation from WandaVision, but I'd say this one is more likely due to the theme of the show.)

I've always liked Loki so it's cool that it's hooked you in as someone who isn't into the character as the majority are. I don't like the Guardians of the Galaxy and the cosmic side of the MCU, I know that's an unpopular take.

I like that there was a throwaway line about the villains in the MCU (in this case, specifically Loki) always failing because their purpose in the timeline is to bring the heroes to their greatest potential.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

The TVA is in charge of *everything* nothing besides their equipment works within their buildings.  Otherwise they'd be targets for heists all the time.

Rather convenient.