DVDVR Message Board

Hell in a Cell XIII - 6/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure why y’all think live crowds will shit on Alexa. It’s not like Shayna Baszler is some beloved entity, particularly outside of nXt. 

Narrative, wishful thinking, hatred of Alexa for "not being good enough to deserve her push", any of the other standard responses...

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Narrative, wishful thinking, hatred of Alexa for "not being good enough to deserve her push", any of the other standard responses...

Do people still think she isn’t good? I’m seriously asking…

11 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Now obviously Bayley vs Bianca was on a whole another level as a match, but it is interesting that Bayley' great character work has been reduced to a fake laughter that she's absolutely terrible at while Alexa Bliss continues to be absolutely on point with every little thing her character does (well, not necessarily the wrestling part, but still). The material she's stuck with should sink absolutely anyone and she's swimming laps around basically everyone else. She might want to do some small scale acting in the near future.

I think you are underselling Bayely's character work, especially from her match with Bianca. I think you are also ignoring that despite Alexa's hard work, she isn't remotely believable in it. Without the latter her hard work doesn't really matter much. As a result I couldn't really say she is swimming laps around everyone. Hell I think Shayna is doing a far better job than she needs to as a shook jock trying to present themselves as tougher than this supernatural bs.

10 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure why y’all think live crowds will shit on Alexa. It’s not like Shayna Baszler is some beloved entity, particularly outside of nXt. 

Because the gimmick itself is bad. I don't really think the crowd will care much one way or the other about Shayna. I just have some doubts they will want this from Alexa, especially if it leads to bigger things like Alexa dealing with Rhea, Asuka, etc. More to the point the ratings haven't exactly been great as they have continued to push the gimmick.

Edited by Eivion

In the vignettes I saw,  Shayna was indeed doing a good job.

When Bayley pointed out that she was once like Bianca, that was good, but most of the stuff in the recap revolved around the stupid fake laughter and Bayley should be better than that.

I don't really see how Alexa isn't believable in her role, other than the fact that being posessed by a demon nun isn't believable in and of itself, since it hasn't happened since the 70's.

27 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I don't really see how Alexa isn't believable in her role, other than the fact that being posessed by a demon nun isn't believable in and of itself, since it hasn't happened since the 70's.

So you buy someone like Alexa scares/shakes Randy, Shayna, and Nia? Every time it happens it just comes across as dumb instead of creepy like they want it. Shit, Bayley came across a lot more creepy taking over the monitors with that fake laughter you hate weeks ago. 

24 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So you buy someone like Alexa scares/shakes Randy, Shayna, and Nia? Every time it happens it just comes across as dumb instead of creepy like they want it. Shit, Bayley came across a lot more creepy taking over the monitors with that fake laughter you hate weeks ago. 

What is there to buy? Why can't it just be fun?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

What is there to buy? Why can't it just be fun?

Its not fun for me. If its fun for you then good I guess, but the general feel I get for the gimmick is hate from other people watching, and I can see why. Beyond that its pretty obvious WWE themselves aren't trying to be fun with it either. Whoever keeps pushing it thinks it clearly thinks some high level creepy/supernatural work like Taker and the Fiend.

• Like 1

I mean, wasn't it just over the weekend, people were reminiscing (fondly?) about things like Papa Shango and the casket angle?

Is this any worse/better than that stuff or the Dungeon of Doom, etc? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I mean, wasn't it just over the weekend, people were reminiscing (fondly?) about things like Papa Shango and the casket angle?

Is this any worse/better than that stuff or the Dungeon of Doom, etc? 

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
just one yes/no looks too much like i'm seriously answering a two part question and not just doing a dumb Zodiac reference for lulz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I don't know how WWE wants me to feel about the whole angle and I try not to get bothered about it, because it's main roster, so no biggie. But they did miss an opportunity, when Shanyna stomped Alexa's arm and she screamed at first but then started laughing. Since she can do that double jointed thingy with her arm, she should have done that, then straighten it back into place, like Triple H's vampire character in Blade Trinity did! That would have been amazing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, I don't know how WWE wants me to feel about the whole angle and I try not to get bothered about it, because it's main roster, so no biggie. But they did miss an opportunity, when Shanyna stomped Alexa's arm and she screamed at first but then started laughing. Since she can do that double jointed thingy with her arm, she should have done that, then straighten it back into place, like Triple H's vampire character in Blade Trinity did! That would have been amazing.

As much as I hate the gimmick I actually agree with this. Kind of surprised they haven't gone crazy overdoing Alexa being double jointed. Now is probably the perfect time to actually be using it.

18 hours ago, just drew said:

Do people still think she isn’t good? I’m seriously asking…

No, being the overpushed bad wrestler is Eva Marie's gimmick now.

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its not fun for me. If its fun for you then good I guess, but the general feel I get for the gimmick is hate from other people watching, and I can see why. Beyond that its pretty obvious WWE themselves aren't trying to be fun with it either. Whoever keeps pushing it thinks it clearly thinks some high level creepy/supernatural work like Taker and the Fiend.

How is it obvious the WWE isn't trying to be fun with it? You've got an MMA fighter afraid of a doll. It can't be anything but fun.

• Like 1

Drew vs Lashley in a Cell was like 8 GT's at breakfast (depending how you feel about that sort of thing). Drew vs Lashley in a Cell ending the way it did was like the ending of a day with 8 GT's at breakfast (regardless of how you feel about that sort of thing).

10 hours ago, AxB said:

No, being the overpushed bad wrestler is Eva Marie's gimmick now.

I mean, Alexa would have to be a bad wrestler for that to even apply, so I'm not sure what you're saying...

• Like 1

The bigger fear the WWE should have isn't whether the live audience is going to boo or jeer or even cheer Alexa Bliss (which is also a possibility). I think she's going to get a reaction.

I'd be more worried about Rhea Ripley. She is coming off a real bad 2020 that wasn't entirely her own fault. Kinda reminds me of what Bret Hart said about his run in late 97' when he had gone from being top face to top heel from 96' through 97' and then, by the end of 97', was no longer either as Shawn was now the top heel and Austin was the top face.

What is Ripley? She's the World Champion but she's not really established as a character. Charlotte is the top heel (Bliss arguably at #2 but Baszler and Nia are also naturals at getting heat), Asuka is still over, and when Becky returns, Ripley is going to be further down the totem pole.

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I mean, Alexa would have to be a bad wrestler for that to even apply, so I'm not sure what you're saying...

WWE wierdo fans didn't agree, at one point. They had her in the 'overpushed and unworthy' spot.

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE wierdo fans didn't agree, at one point. They had her in the 'overpushed and unworthy' spot.

That's fair, and I guess for some folks once they decide that there's no mind-changing. It probably had to do with those cringe carnival Sasha stans being upset that Alexa got pushed over her. That was a thing at one point, wasn't it?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Eivion said:

Because the gimmick itself is bad. I don't really think the crowd will care much one way or the other about Shayna. I just have some doubts they will want this from Alexa, especially if it leads to bigger things like Alexa dealing with Rhea, Asuka, etc. More to the point the ratings haven't exactly been great as they have continued to push the gimmick.

I don't think the gimmick is bad. I think the concept is really compelling. I think the week to week creative for the character is dogshit, and I do think there will be some that resent that Bray Wyatt did all that work so that that gimmick could get transferred over to Alexa. Most of what I've seen on twitter is people giving Alexa props for going all in on this nonsense. We'll see how they react live I guess.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Yeah fans are weirdos if they thought a wrestler was bad and overpushed. That is an interesting take. Keep in mind her biggest push was happening at a moment when WWE were kind of pushing down and screwing up Bayley and Sasha as characters pretty badly. And at that point while she wasn't bad Alexa wasn't anywhere near good either. She could talk well enough but it wasn't like she was getting great reactions or anything. Her push didn't really make much sense back then. 

I find it interesting how its "weirdo WWE fans" who didn't like her then and now seeing that she wasn't really liked all that much on the board back than. 

1 hour ago, just drew said:

So you thought she was bad and overpushed?

Eh, I said she wasn't bad back then, just not good. I do however think she was overpushed. I don't exactly blame her for that.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Eh, I said she wasn't bad back then, just not good. I do however think she was overpushed. I don't exactly blame her for that.

I think this is fair, and I’m not sure there’s a particularly strong argument for Alexa being outright good.

She did feel overpushed early on, with her kind of coming up out of nowhere to win the title pretty quickly, having largely been a manger in NXT. She was then positioned pretty strongly as a fixture in the title scene for the next couple of years, while more hyped NXT call-ups floundered a bit (Sasha, Becky, Bayley, Asuka). This is a WWE criticism rather than an Alexa criticism (as an aside I’d argue you’re better off coming to the main roster without having had a strong NXT run).

Character-wise she was generally decent-good, but I’d struggle to name anything particularly standout she did (other than some gif-worthy reaction shots), and I’m not sure there was any faces that came out stronger having feuded with her (again, that’s not all on Alexa though).

In-ring, I’d say she’s mostly unremarkable. My main memory is her adopting that chokeslam/STO as a signature spot, which seemed massively misjudged and felt like it should have been a set-up to a comedy spot (a kind of Flair gets carried away and goes to the top rope thing). What are the standout Alexa matches or what even are her strengths?

In terms of more recently, fair enough she’s went all in and is doing well with bad material but I feel like this is a slightly over-used talking point. Like it used to get used to praise Kane, but Kane still mostly sucked for 20 years.