DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

18 minutes ago, Dog said:

Discourse level rising ...

I know TK lurks here... Please God let that be the name of one of the new TNT specials next year. It can be their version of New Blood Rising the way Beach Break is their BATB. Sue on a forklift! Books itself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You're welcome. 

Do us a favour, mate. Tell us you like something. This whole "disparage everything" gimmick, I know you're having fun with it, but your making everyone think you're an arsehole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Do us a favour, mate. Tell us you like something. This whole "disparage everything" gimmick, I know you're having fun with it, but your making everyone think you're an arsehole.

Will do. Let's keep it to AEW for starters. Maybe I can give you a more comprehensive list later so you can feast your eyes on something sufficiently positive.

On 6/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

Really enjoyed Red Velvet vs Bunny also. Velvet has a lot of potential, so it's good to see her getting a push. 

I hope your heart grows full in response to the realization that I enjoyed something. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Your gimmick of being a wind up merchant is growing incredibly tired. You're not even coming across as interested in discussing the topic, you're just more engaged in trying to stir up others and troll them into arguments. 

Knock it off. 

• Like 5

I'll take @John from Cincinnati's "gimmick" over posters who try and tell people what they can and cannot critique and get overly snarky and defensive when someone makes a criticism that in their mind is valid based off of what they like in wrestling. It seems that some of you are competing to be the ENO90 of AEW.

Ugh, I'm complaining about complaining in message board posts. I need a shower.

Edited by GodzillaPerez

-Woof. I was on board with a lot of what you were saying until you starting going off the deep end. Don't mistake me for someone out here saying AEW is perfect and if you don't like it you're wrong. That ain't me. I'm out here saying I like what AEW is doing. I'm very upfront about that. But I'm not trying to get YOU to feel exactly the same as I do. And that's why @Gordberg is starting to go a little mad having to refute @Goodear. He's not just telling us that he doesn't enjoy AEW. He's actively trying to say we're fucking stupid for liking it.

Who said that? Me?? When???? This is news to me. I don't think I've ever said someone is stupid for liking anything. If you like AEW, no one is stopping you. You have constructed a vision of me in your head where I am fuming over here at anyone who likes the show. Most weeks, most of the people here like AEW and I almost always open with my own thoughts without bringing up other folks. If anything, I am the one who gets "yelled at" for not remembering 3 minute squash matches and not being completely literal. I don't know how looking at the reality of FTR working tag matches became a hot button issue but here we are. 

His argument on FTR matches is hey let's not count 75% of the matches they've had, for the purposes of making the end result he wants to show. Why do six man tags not count as matches? Why do Wargames matches not count as matches? The end result still shows what he was trying to say without having to disregard reality (Young Bucks have had more matches than FTR in the last 3 months period, regardless of configurations). So my Britt Baker take was just as dumb as his to demonstrate that point. If you exclude everything that doesn't support your point, well guess what... the results are gonna support your point.

The topic was tag matches so I brought up tag matches? I know I'm a monster and all but... yeah? I even added qualifiers (the last tag match on Dark, the last six man), which if I was trying to get a gotcha on whoever my enemy is (whoever that is?), I could have just left those off. Let's take your Britt Baker example since its fun! What is Britt Baker good at? If you said "Well Goodear, she's a pretty good worker and a pretty good talker." I would say, "Sure." So then if Britt went 4 months without a promo, would that be a good idea? I would say no. Now ask, "What is FTR good at?" The answer for me is "have traditional tag matches". Is it a good idea then that they don't get to have any?

-Lastly, bringing up WWE isn't gaslighting. It's the easiest and most direct comparison. I don't like A. I prefer B. Even when B makes missteps or doesn't quite hit the mark, I still prefer it to A. There's ZERO gaslighting in those statements. Because I'm just laying out my opinion. I'm not trying to get you to disbelieve your own eyes and change your reality. That's crazy. I'm literally just saying I like B better than A. So you may want to take a few steps back. In trying to prove that a cult exists... you're really starting to sound like you're in a cult on the opposite end of that spectrum my dude lol.

I still don't know why people keep doing the WWE comparisons when no one *check out my internet lingo* stans WWE as being any good. 

• Like 1

Digging these promos on Dark Elevation.  Not that they’re all on point, but with this addition AEW is starting to make Elevation regular weekly viewing.  I’m Still skimming a lot of it, but enjoying these improvements.  

• Like 1

"Wind up merchant" apparently and no, I'm too lazy to post that much.

I'm excited for Christian vs Angelico. I'd love for that to lead to Christian vs Jack Evans.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

"Wind up merchant" apparently and no, I'm too lazy to post that much.

It’s not that hard, ask me when the last time Sammy Guevara had a singles match on Dynamite.

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Digging these promos on Dark Elevation.  Not that they’re all on point, but with this addition AEW is starting to make Elevation regular weekly viewing.  I’m Still skimming a lot of it, but enjoying these improvements.  

I almost unironically said, "Beats watching the first hour of Raw!"

Dodged a bullet there.

Edited by Dog
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

It’s not that hard, ask me when the last time Sammy Guevara had a singles match on Dynamite.

Oh, this one is fun.

If you're counting battle royals, December.

If you want to look at PPV, he had Elite Deletion in November and the Broken Rules match in September.

Straight-up singles on Dynamite, AUGUST 27th 2020(!!!). Now I'm cheering for him to make it a full year. 

3 hours ago, Goodear said:

I still don't know why people keep doing the WWE comparisons when no one *check out my internet lingo* stans WWE as being any good. 

There are plenty of NXT/WWE stans, what are you even talking about.

• Like 2

I would love for you to point me to the people saying ‘I love WWE’ anywhere on this board. Maybe I misread that mammoth 9 post Smackdown thread or the 2 somewhat positive posts out of 17 Raw thread. 

33 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I would love for you to point me to the people saying ‘I love WWE’ anywhere on this board. Maybe I misread that mammoth 9 post Smackdown thread or the 2 somewhat positive posts out of 17 Raw thread. 

The board ran them all off months ago.

• Like 1

Watching the newest DARK and something occurred to me re; Big Swole: Her decisions make sense to me. Like, I get what she's trying to do. Somewhere between her synapses and her feet the message gets lost. But I like the little deal she's doing with KiLynn King and Red Velvet, and I hope she continues to improve. 

Matthew Justice with a positively restrained performance, by his usual standards. Although the lack of balconies (or buses, or piles of crushed cars) to dive off  is probably a nice change for him. I swear that that's Salina De La Renta at ringside as well. Zicky, as predicted by me, did next to nothing other than get killed.

Marko being overjoyed at not being the shortest guy in the match was fun. The gnarly facefirst headstand bump his opponent took for the finish was not fun (for Ariel Dominguez). Also Tay and Natalia Markova has one of those "miscommunication leads to stiffness" battles.

Seeing the Empty Arena setup with the two ramps feels like a backward step though. Roll on July.

• Like 1