Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Am I the only one who preferred the original Wild Thing Theme to the version Moxley uses now? It had way more energy and fit better. 

No. Major League Wild Thing is the best fit.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

By way of recompense, someone else on the roster should adopt a song with a Flute solo, just so we can meet our flute quota. Lance Archer perhaps.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Am I the only one who preferred the original Wild Thing Theme to the version Moxley uses now? It had way more energy and fit better. 

I’m with you on that one

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Am I the only one who preferred the original Wild Thing Theme to the version Moxley uses now? It had way more energy and fit better. 

No, I'm completely with you.  The Troggs rule and their version is an all time classic.  I had goosebumps on that first night against Nagata.  That said, the wrestling world isn't known for great taste and so here we are.  And the X version, as mentioned, appears in Major League and has cache for the sports-film-fan.  I won't complain further as the Double or Nothing entrance kinda cemented the X version for Mox.   That was a momentous.  It's also a huge step up from Moxley's previous generic basketball highlights theme.     

Further, kinda bummed they've replaced Baltimora's 'Tarzan Boy' for Jungle Boy with an awful modern rock version.  Tho, I'm guessing a lot of fans didn't even notice the change.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the new Tarzan Boy version is a remix, rather than a cover. The vocals sound pretty identical, they've just added powerchords to the mix.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Further, kinda bummed they've replaced Baltimora's 'Tarzan Boy' for Jungle Boy with an awful modern rock version.  Tho, I'm guessing a lot of fans didn't even notice the change.

 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Pretty sure the new Tarzan Boy version is a remix, rather than a cover. The vocals sound pretty identical, they've just added powerchords to the mix.

That's also only for versions shown on YouTube, TV version is still the original.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The original version of Tarzan Boy opens with big, corny power chords. It was one of my backyard walkouts. Trust me, I know.

He does have some weird cheapo cover on Youtube though. Dare I say it sounds so bad it's almost heterosexual.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like the exact same song to me.  At some point, they just brought the guitar up in the mix to give it some more power.

And probably doubled the guitar line.  Because every fucking producer thinks every part needs to be doubled these days.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's the kind of cover that tries to match everything exactly. Same BPM, same kinds of instruments being mixed in a similar way in every measure. It's actually hard to tell because the crowd pops so hard for Jungle Boy and sings the hook so loud, but that's a way different vocal take. The original lead vocal was sung by an Italian dude (the Irish-born singer in the video is lip-syncing) and he sung in a recognizably Italo-disco lilt. The cover vocals might be double-tracked and sound way more "rock" ("butt rock", really) not to mention like the singing of a native English speaker.

This is the version I heard on the last Dark + Dark Elevation shows. The drums in the intro can be heard really clearly before the JB/Bear Bronson match. Totally different pads being played exactly the same. If there's a disco bassline (main line on the quarter notes, octave jump on the upbeat), it's buried way in the mix compared to the original and doesn't sound anything like Baltimora's synth/sequencer. That initial F power chord is held way longer than the original recording. It's even more noticeable on the A# power chord that starts the third bar of the hook. Oh my God you have no idea how many of my specific interests had to overlap to make this post.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, AxB said:

By way of recompense, someone else on the roster should adopt a song with a Flute solo, just so we can meet our flute quota. Lance Archer perhaps.

Some Jethro Tull, maybe Living in the Past? No that’s more Cody, judging from the last few weeks.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's the kind of cover that tries to match everything exactly. Same BPM, same kinds of instruments being mixed in a similar way in every measure. It's actually hard to tell because the crowd pops so hard for Jungle Boy and sings the hook so loud, but that's a way different vocal take. The original lead vocal was sung by an Italian dude (the Irish-born singer in the video is lip-syncing) and he sung in a recognizably Italo-disco lilt. The cover vocals might be double-tracked and sound way more "rock" ("butt rock", really) not to mention like the singing of a native English speaker.

This is the version I heard on the last Dark + Dark Elevation shows. The drums in the intro can be heard really clearly before the JB/Bear Bronson match. Totally different pads being played exactly the same. If there's a disco bassline (main line on the quarter notes, octave jump on the upbeat), it's buried way in the mix compared to the original and doesn't sound anything like Baltimora's synth/sequencer. That initial F power chord is held way longer than the original recording. It's even more noticeable on the A# power chord that starts the third bar of the hook. Oh my God you have no idea how many of my specific interests had to overlap to make this post.

I really, really love this breakdown of the differences between the versions.  I don't care for the changes and would much rather they keep the original on all shows.  But I'm not running things there so what do I know.

And with all this talk about the song I have to post this because A. The song and video rules and B. Because it's been stuck in my head for months and I've watched this quite a bit in that timeframe.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thoughts from elevation. I’ll preface by saying I enjoyed it mostly, was nice to see some of the crowd reactions and thought the out of ring was simple, effective stuff to build up some lesser matches. Now to the nitpicking.

Caster seems like he’s gonna be mega-over, I think Bowens needs to show something more or he’s gonna quickly become the other guy. Maybe if he threw in some power spots as he feels very generic at the minute. His finish, while not totally bad-looking, is kind of needlessly complicated.

Hirsch is missing presence for me, she is really small and, despite her in-ring being decent, she just doesn’t project enough threat to make up for her size. It’s been suggested before but I could maybe see a move to Team Taz working, ECW Taz vibe of mini no-nonsense shooty ass-kicker is what I’d be aiming for.

Thunder Rosa’s finish is a bit weak, bit of a convoluted setup and it’s not obvious enough how it actually hurts.

I still think Pillman looks too sleazy for his current role, get rid of the beard and mullet.

I tend to skip Swole matches but from what I saw here there hasn’t been much improvement. It feels like the division has passed her by after being quite well featured earlier on.

Nyla also feels like an afterthought. I think she’s maybe been AEW’s biggest booking failure, they had her lose too many big matches too early and she’s lost the monster aura now. I suppose there’s still some value in her as a sort of gatekeeper but I think they could have stretched out her arc more.

Vickie also adds nothing to the act and her signing really feels like a misstep.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It’s interesting how much more effort AEW puts into Elevation than Dark - mainly referring to promos.

I agree with much of the above @Kev.  Some were suggesting Caster would be turned babyface by the crowds, but I was hoping not.  Both he and Bowens seem like natural heels.  I hope if they turn them that it’s natural and they retain the edge.  These guys have come a long way since being identified as Tony’s new project.  Caster is obviously further ahead, but I’m seeing something there with Bowens.  This match showcased some nice tandem offense.  

What was with these empty arena promos?  Why not just shoot this stuff in the back or at a intimate location?  This was awkward, but kinda funny too.

Swole could be a nice second for somebody.  She’s got charisma but still showing less than needed in ring.  

I don’t think Nyla’s been too badly beaten.  Keeping her off Dynamite has made the heart grow fonder.  Or mine.  I still dig her and she’s only getting better, but she needs to get away from Vickie.  She’s a terrific promo.  Put Vickie with somebody who isn’t.  Layla Hirsch could certainly use the assistance.  In ring I think Layla is doing just fine, just needs some direction. I still like the idea of her joining Team Tazmaniac.  

Blonds are cooking.  I don’t think they need anything but ring and promo time.

I agree on Rosa’s weak finish.  Rosa tends to look far weaker in non competitive matches.  She looks like she’s teaching not fighting for the win.  Considering these are sometimes her students it's more than likely the case.  She also needs to better solidify her promos.  She’s almost there tho.  Looking forward to the inevitable title chase with Baker.

Really happy they’re giving some promo time on Elevation. More please.  Especially for Tuesdays.  These guys will only get better with reps.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I agree with much of the above @Kev.  Some were suggesting Caster would be turned babyface by the crowds, but I was hoping not.  Both he and Bowens seem like natural heels.  I hope if they turn them that it’s natural and they retain the edge.   

 

I think their characters can easily work as faces. Just have them face heels and stop the cheating, I don’t think they’d need to lose any of their edge. Stopping the cheating even works as a natural progression of their characters as we’ve seen them getting better to the point they don’t need to cheat to win.

It’ll be interesting to see how this sort of stuff plays out over the next couple of months (Baker being a similar case) as, because of the pandemic, I don’t think AEW have ever really had to deal with a situation of a crowd turning someone. Cody’s always talked of not being concerned about mixed reactions and heel/face distinctions so we’ll see how much they stick to that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It’s not the cheating I’m worried about.  I guess in part it’s some sort of rapper-wrestler-ptsd from how the bumbling WWE killed the awesome early John Cena character.  Max Caster just does not seem like a likeable (in kayfabe) dude.  The raps are fun but also kinda shitty which works for a heel.  I dunno.  But interested to see where it goes.

Baker is a good comparison here.  Seems like few heels who become too cool to be heels so rarely keep that edge (for lack of a better term).  Baker is fun because of the shitty ‘tude.  It’ll be interesting to see how they proceed.  Especially considering Rosa is thoroughly a babyface.  Not to say they couldn’t switch her up.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno, if someone is charismatic/funny/cool then that in itself tends to make them likeable enough. Very early face Cena (I’m thinking late 03-early 04) is actually a good example of how to do it, he was still basically the same character but he’d started to back it up in the ring and fought heels.

If you went back to when The Acclaimed fought then face Young Bucks and imagine the face/heel roles were reversed, would Caster’s rap still work? I can’t actually remember (something about Nick’s hairline maybe), but I’m gonna guess it still would.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 2:04 AM, Jiji said:

Stephen Roe on Twitter: "MJF having a dedicated guy for chewing gum is just  the best. No, he's the best!… "

omfg he was! NOOOOO. Future storyline built in. Hook gonna beat MJF for the title!

Also, there's Big Shotty right there next to Wardlow.  Fun to look back at old vignettes and see who did some Rosebud Duty.

Edited by Technico Support
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Kev said:

I dunno, if someone is charismatic/funny/cool then that in itself tends to make them likeable enough. Very early face Cena (I’m thinking late 03-early 04) is actually a good example of how to do it, he was still basically the same character but he’d started to back it up in the ring and fought heels.

Your opening line is what I think a lot of times hurts the switch.  It could be that simple, but historically, maybe I'm thinking too much WWE here, creative neuters the character to make certain they can't be thought of as a heel.  That's my recollection on Cena.  I don't remember him maintaining much of any of the 'charismatic/funny/cool' as he went babyface.  He seemed completely neutered.  Again, this is a completely different company, so we'll see.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Your opening line is what I think a lot of times hurts the switch.  It could be that simple, but historically, maybe I'm thinking too much WWE here, creative neuters the character to make certain they can't be thought of as a heel.  That's my recollection on Cena.  I don't remember him maintaining much of any of the 'charismatic/funny/cool' as he went babyface.  He seemed completely neutered.  Again, this is a completely different company, so we'll see.  

Oh they definitely did neuter the character pretty quickly but I remember a brief few month run when he initially turned face, from earning Benoit’s respect at Survivor Series through to beating Show for the US title at Mania, where the character retained the edge but shifted to facing heels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Acclaimed always remind me more of the NAO...although the Cena comparison is RIGHT THERE with huge freakin’ rims and backwards hats and all that.  
 

I’m probably too old to be relevant but I am actually surprised that fans thought Cena was funny, cool or hip at all.

I was 27 in 2003.  John Cena, pretty much his entire career, has never been funny or cool in ANY of his gimmicks.  It was like his gimmick went from Vanilla Ice to larping a pg13-wannabe Eminem to pretty much Christian Rap-style opposite of hip or cool.  

I know about uncool middle of the road Christian Rap. I was really loving rap from my introduction during the brief breakdancing phase of the early 80s...which I managed to miss entirely recovering from surgery back in grade 2.  My brother started playing this other style of rap.  The songs had no swearing and the rappers were dweebs.  

When it comes to gimmicks WWE is all about exploiting popular trends that manifest usually into weak interpretations of that trend by a bunch of old dudes long removed from their target demos.  When WCW did it they were even more out of touch.  ECW and ROH tried a little harder and got gimmicks that were sometimes relevant as opposed to WwE/WCW who are usually always lame.

Anyyywayyy,  Caster and Bowens seem more comfortable and natural as one week flows into the next.  The pre-match rhymes can probably work as heels or babyfaces.  The raps that should change are in the rather funny videos aired during Dark.  Caster comes off as a delusional heel when he had more time and varied cadence in the rap.  

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never heard of xtian rap but I shouldn't be surprised since there is xtian metal (and I'm not talking Stryper. Actually there are a fair amount of xtian doom bands, the best being Trouble).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...