DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

I still would like to see AEW run a house shoe loop like a Fri/Sat schedule. Just 2 non televised shows a week following the weekly Dynamite... So like if Dynamite was in LA you can run a house shoe in San Diego and Fresno as an example... Or a SF/SJ show with a spot in Sacramento. I'd always just have the hard cam set up for everything future content going forward with the library offerings.

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I still would like to see AEW run a house shoe loop like a Fri/Sat schedule. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Wingtip or Mary Jane?

A-1288794-1323398478.jpeg.jpg

A rilly big shoe?

(As me and@RIPPA try to out-old each other...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wonder if kids now powerbomb each other on the frame/springs (it's the hardest part of the trampoline).

A kid in my backyard fed botched a shooting star press off a ladder and landed ribs first on the springs, denting the frame. It was gnarly as fuck.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I would love to see them tour 'Dark' tapings in small facilities ala early Raw and ECDub.  

If it made financial sense I'd love to see that. Maybe for special episodes or occasions or something, like if they ever have a title defense on there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If it made financial sense I'd love to see that. Maybe for special episodes or occasions or something, like if they ever have a title defense on there

I'll take a regular venue that works financially that has that intimate early Raw / ECDub vibe.  I'd just like a balcony and boisterous audience.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'll take a regular venue that works financially that has that intimate early Raw / ECDub vibe.  I'd just like a balcony and boisterous audience.  

The Hammerstein Ballroom is still open isn't it? I'd love to see them do a show there.

PWG's recent shows were in a venue with a similar layout and it really made them come off even better.

• Like 2

I believe it has been mentioned on here a few times but after watching a little of Dark and Elevation and while the positive is seeing indie wrestlers like Shane Mercer & KTB and many others, it really does features the one thing I really bitch about in the WWE.  That is commentary that isn't paying a damn bit to the action in the ring.  While at times it is very funny if I was a wrestler trying to make a name to be on AEW it must suck listen to Taz go on complete tangents and Excalibur having these side conversations because Taz is having these conversations.   Tony and Big Show isn't as bad but they have their moments.   I guess the reason why it doesn't bother me as much is that it is a Youtube channel that is really designed to pad stats and give talent some work.  If Rampage decided to use this strategy then we are in big trouble

Also was pretty wild watching Marty the Moth Martinez from Lucha Underground on a show.  Wondered what happened to him 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Scratch that. @Infinitwas right, they posted today tickets for June 30th go on sale tomorrow. Pleasantly surprised, the live shows just have better energy.

TK also announced when he was on @Phil Schneider podcast that they are doing a "Homecoming" Dynamite at Daily's Place on Wednesday August 4th.

12 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Hammerstein would be great and if still available I would love to see them do the ECW Arena.  Knowing that TK grew up on them if he could pull it off that would be pretty wild.

• Like 2

This is the first real head scratcher of a move for me. And from the sounds of it my opinion differs a lot from the majority here. But why would they waste money renting a building, flying in all the talent, putting all that effort in... for enhancement matches on You Tube? I get that people are saying what they'd like to see out of the show. What buildings and stuff. And that's cool I'm not hating on any of it. But I'm coming at it from the point of view of financials and the business side of the business. There isn't a lot of upside in spending all of this money just to have squash matches on You Tube. So I don't get it.

Maybe they view Dark as their developmental program and from their perspective it's their "performance center" for lack of a better term...? Seems like a whole lot of expense, effort, and the possibility to spread the work force a little thin. Let's hope they can handle all this expansion. They are going from 1 TV show a week pre pandemic to 2 TV shows a week now plus separate Dark taping now. Plus having to fit shit together like a Tetris game on what weeks Rampage is taped or live, and how and when to tape that and also still tape Elevation. That's a lot to juggle.

• Like 1

Before the pandemic they would tape 3 matches for Dark (usually 2 before / 1 after) and a 2 hour Dynamite.

Now they plan on taping 4 or 5 matches for Elevation, a 2 hour Dynamite, and sometimes a 1 hour Rampage all in one night. Plus also taping Dark on a separate day from a separate building, probably keeping it at like 10 matches a week. And sometimes stand alone live 1 hour Rampage tapings.

That's a major increase. It used to be 2 & a half hours of content a week from one building. Now it's like 5 or 6 hours of content, sometimes being filmed from as many as 3 different locations in a week. That's an exponential growth that seems hard to juggle to me.

• Like 1

Bear Country are on Lexy Nair's show this week. Bronson appears to spend the first half in character as a seven year old.

59 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Before the pandemic they would tape 3 matches for Dark (usually 2 before / 1 after) and a 2 hour Dynamite.

Now they plan on taping 4 or 5 matches for Elevation, a 2 hour Dynamite, and sometimes a 1 hour Rampage all in one night. Plus also taping Dark on a separate day from a separate building, probably keeping it at like 10 matches a week. And sometimes stand alone live 1 hour Rampage tapings.

That's a major increase. It used to be 2 & a half hours of content a week from one building. Now it's like 5 or 6 hours of content, sometimes being filmed from as many as 3 different locations in a week. That's an exponential growth that seems hard to juggle to me.

Yeah, when you put it that way I see what you mean now.  Not sure if they'll be able to maintain that pace but if not then hopefully they dial things down a bit.

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is the first real head scratcher of a move for me. And from the sounds of it my opinion differs a lot from the majority here.

Hey man, just for the record, I'm with you in terms of the financials. That's the only way I want to see it happen. I'm under the assumption that they've somehow worked it out to be profitable (or, less ideally, it isn't profitable but they view it as a worthwhile investment into the future). That's the only reason I'm in here jacking off about like the Lowell Auditorium

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

I believe it has been mentioned on here a few times but after watching a little of Dark and Elevation and while the positive is seeing indie wrestlers like Shane Mercer & KTB and many others, it really does features the one thing I really bitch about in the WWE.  That is commentary that isn't paying a damn bit to the action in the ring.  While at times it is very funny if I was a wrestler trying to make a name to be on AEW it must suck listen to Taz go on complete tangents and Excalibur having these side conversations because Taz is having these conversations.   Tony and Big Show isn't as bad but they have their moments.   I guess the reason why it doesn't bother me as much is that it is a Youtube channel that is really designed to pad stats and give talent some work.  If Rampage decided to use this strategy then we are in big trouble

Also was pretty wild watching Marty the Moth Martinez from Lucha Underground on a show.  Wondered what happened to him 

I’m glad to hear I’m not alone.  I watch these shows with the volume low or off.  That said there seems to be a lot of support for the middle of the road comedy they provide.  

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is the first real head scratcher of a move for me. And from the sounds of it my opinion differs a lot from the majority here. But why would they waste money renting a building, flying in all the talent, putting all that effort in... for enhancement matches on You Tube? I get that people are saying what they'd like to see out of the show. What buildings and stuff. And that's cool I'm not hating on any of it. But I'm coming at it from the point of view of financials and the business side of the business. There isn't a lot of upside in spending all of this money just to have squash matches on You Tube. So I don't get it.

Maybe they view Dark as their developmental program and from their perspective it's their "performance center" for lack of a better term...? Seems like a whole lot of expense, effort, and the possibility to spread the work force a little thin. Let's hope they can handle all this expansion. They are going from 1 TV show a week pre pandemic to 2 TV shows a week now plus separate Dark taping now. Plus having to fit shit together like a Tetris game on what weeks Rampage is taped or live, and how and when to tape that and also still tape Elevation. That's a lot to juggle.

It’s a big assumption from the little we know that whatever they decide would not be profitable.  Perhaps I’ve missed some news items along the way, but AEW doesn’t seem to make a lot of boneheaded business decisions.  Maybe we oughta let this one play out before assuming it’s some sort of losing venture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This is the first real head scratcher of a move for me. And from the sounds of it my opinion differs a lot from the majority here. But why would they waste money renting a building, flying in all the talent, putting all that effort in... for enhancement matches on You Tube?

It was laughed at when I posted this a few months ago (ha ha Austin Gunn matches or whatever), but honestly the answer is the more hours of content they have, the more valuable it is to a potential streaming service, like HBO Max.

• Like 2

As far as potential travel costs go, how many of the main roster live in Florida full time? I don't know if the powers that be set some of them up with temporary housing for covid or what but I'd image they've already been flying a decent number of them back and forth for Dynamite/PPVs already.