DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Mox usually works Dark/Elevation when the designated Jobber is a friend of his who he wants to do a favour for. Like he went 15 minutes with Robert Anthony despite being World Champ at the time, because he was having fun wrestling his friend.

So MJF has no friends? Too real, man.

7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Jericho to commentary for this week is the best Jericho news I've heard in some time. 

I thought I heard some rumbling about Mark Henry being joined on Rampage by another wrestler/who has done commentary?  I much prefer Colt Cabana the wrestler to the commentator, so I'm hoping it's Y2J.  He's been mostly good on commentary, and could potentially be even better if working on a regular basis.  I can't say I've felt the same way about his in ring. 

I hope we can get that MJF match/loss over with ASAP, and have the old war horse move into a cushier and more valuable role at the commentary desk.    

I'd have to imagine that AEW are going to want to milk the "Live crowd sings along to Judas" stuff until they have hit more or less every town they are going to hit. I guess you could work it in if Jericho came in on commentary later on the show or something... but my feeling is that there are still quite a few AEW fans who haven't had the opportunity to see a live AEW show yet, and who would like the opportunity to sing along at least once. 

Also, check out King trying to "gaslight" everyone here (I think this is from after the end of Saturday Dynamite, but they ran it on Dark Elevation today):

Man, somebody needs to let him know that "comparing AEW to WWE is the most basic dingdong level of discourse that exists among wrestling fans today, and exists only for small people who don't want to take AEW on its merits." ?

EDIT: Dark Elevation was really enjoyable this week. There were a few funny little things, from Team Tazz basically ignoring Luther to Eddie Kingston dancing at TH2. There were, indeed, more competitive matches than usual this week, perhaps an indication of what the show is going to be like moving forward. The main event, HFO vs DO, Blade vs Chuck (the Battle of the Low-Priced Steaks), Riho vs King, Gunns vs Wingmen, Wheeler Yuta vs. Karl Anderson, and Hikaru Shida vs. Reka Tehaka were all at least fairly competitive. I enjoyed that.

More generally, AEW has been bringing in some pretty dammed good bumpers and sellers to do jobs on the YouTube shows. Zicky Dice, The Sea Stars, Jason Hotch, and in particular Chandler Hopkins, just to name a few. I wouldn't mind seeing more of all of them, and also Arik Cannon, and a few others. Maybe some of them can be put into a Bear Country/JD Drake kind of role at some point.

Edited by Gordberg
Rather than more or less double posting
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Gordberg said:

I'd have to imagine that AEW are going to want to milk the "Live crowd sings along to Judas" stuff until they have hit more or less every town they are going to hit. I guess you could work it in if Jericho came in on commentary later on the show or something... but my feeling is that there are still quite a few AEW fans who haven't had the opportunity to see a live AEW show yet, and who would like the opportunity to sing along at least once. 

Absolutely true.  Every town gets a Judas in my mind or whatever its called.  He has come out for commentary, at the top of the show, with his theme before.  They could play it that way.  I watch on tape delay with the undying power of the fast forward button, so no big deal here if they wanna do that.  

This is all just wishful thinking on my part.  I'm sure he gets attacked at the desk this week and is scheduled for six straight weeks of Inner Circle town halls.  I'm gonna go ahead and declare the MJF-Jericho feud as my least favorite in AEW history.  Which unseats the Moxley-MJF feud (good match; horrible build).  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I'm sure by now there's been people questioning why they would start Elevation with Eddie gaslighting WWE.  I honestly would have kept that promo for the live crowd and if anybody put fan cam footage online then so be it.  Putting it on Dark to me makes it seem like there's an agenda that they're pushing even if that's not the case.  But I will say that it's so obvious Eddie's been a hardcore ECW fan with how his speech reminded me a lot of how Heyman would do his.

As for matches on Elevation that King/Riho match was my favorite for sure.  There's just something about Riho going against larger women that is so fun to watch.  I'm not making any direct comparisons but she reminds me of how Mysterio would go against larger opponents before he got more muscle mass.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Christian looks uncomfortable because he knows Eddie is firing off a small-dick-energy promo. 

Still don't see the value of signing a 47-year-old Christian coming off a seven-year-retirement to a long-term contract in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Still don't see the value of signing a 47-year-old Christian coming off a seven-year-retirement to a long-term contract in 2021. 

Christian seems a lot more active than other veteran hires and is a really good in ring talent who gets around his lack of physical superlatives well. He works as a veteran who can still go and if they manage his losses well, he can get over younger talents while also providing in ring mentorship. His being Jungle Boy's "Sting" is a great use of him.

• Like 4

Good seeing Holidead getting a match on Dark tonight.  She has been around for a long time and hasn't gotten much of a chance except for Ring of Honor.   Unfortunately it is against Nyla Rose.

Shit apparently there is Powerhouse Hobbs vs Marko Stunt as well.   Well someone is taking a  major beating tonight

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

When somebody mentioned Hollidead recently here I was wondering what she was up to.  Curious to see how things go.

And I think Hobbs vs Marko has to be a shoutout to @Goodear amiright?  If anything I would be amused if #preyformarko was trending because with that matchup it might as well be.

If anyone wants to keep count of the Hobbs is a Genius thing, I wanted to mention how he got around a botch against Hangman while they were working around the post on the outside. Page was supposed to pull Hobbs into the post, but their grips slipped and Hobbs ended up not doing the spot. So rather than go back to it or pretend it actually happened, they seemed to adlib Hobbs acknowledging the botch and then putting Page on his shoulders to get to the same place where he ended up bumping to the post.

I've found Hobbs to be a really effective squash match worker in terms of getting himself over. This would be a different challenge where he likely will have to give Stunt something based on Marko's role in the company but selling a lot for Stunt would be terrible for Will's prospects. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Infinit said:

If Mox can wrestle on Dark, MJF can. Alot of these young guys need ring time...so I wouldn't use the "Austin and Rock didn't wrestle on Jakked or Metal argument" when it comes to the young upper card guys in AEW.

Excellent point and proof that I'm not always right lol.

It kind of ruins my argument that they aren't putting top guys on there by design. As AxB said above Mox generally only works by choice. But it still ruins my argument because even if Austin or Rock asked to work Jakked, they'd have been told no.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, AEW has such a wealth of very young next generation main eventers that need reps/ring time/polish. There are 8 internet shows a month / 3 hours a week, there's no reason guys like MJF, JB, Hobbs, and Sammy can't have 2 matches a month on them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

At the end of the day, AEW has such a wealth of very young next generation main eventers that need reps/ring time/polish. There are 8 internet shows a month / 3 hours a week, there's no reason guys like MJF, JB, Hobbs, and Sammy can't have 2 matches a month on them.

Taking it on a case by case basis, JB and Hobbs largely clear that bar. With Sammy and MJF on the other hand, it seems being high up in Chris Jericho's orbit means some guys don't need to wrestle all that often this year. 

4 hours ago, Goodear said:

If anyone wants to keep count of the Hobbs is a Genius thing, I wanted to mention how he got around a botch against Hangman while they were working around the post on the outside. Page was supposed to pull Hobbs into the post, but their grips slipped and Hobbs ended up not doing the spot. So rather than go back to it or pretend it actually happened, they seemed to adlib Hobbs acknowledging the botch and then putting Page on his shoulders to get to the same place where he ended up bumping to the post.

Another cool part of the whole exchange: Page lost his grip and fell because both were slippery with sweat.  So when he fell, Hobbs ad-libbed smiling at the camera and wiping sweat form himself to acknowledge the fact that his perspiration saved him.  Amazing.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When somebody mentioned Hollidead recently here I was wondering what she was up to.  Curious to see how things go.

She still goes around the indie loop pretty regularly. Last thing I personally saw her on was Allie Kat(ch)'s Real Hot Girl Shit show Wrestlemania weekend. But I know she's made other appearances since then.

Would love if AEW got to the point of having a women's tag division and we could get her and Rosa going against the Sea Stars, Britt/Rebel, Tay Conti/Anna Jay, etc etc.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Is Marko driving around in a toy tank all through the new Sammy vlog a shot at Shotzi, do you think?

I just took it as them doing their DX tribute by invading BTE.  Unless there's something I don't know about Shotzi but seemed pretty harmless to me. 

Best part of Dark was Pillman using the Pete Weber "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?? I AM!" line while randomly yelling at Ashley D'Amboise. It made absolutely no sense and I laughed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Peck said:

Best part of Dark was Pillman using the Pete Weber "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?? I AM!" line while randomly yelling at Ashley D'Amboise. It made absolutely no sense and I laughed.

I also thought that Tay dancing with Aubrey was a pretty great moment.

JD Drake vs Kaz was a really fun six-minute slugfest.

There were a ton of good squashes today as well. Wardlow, Abadon, Hobbs, Archer, Tay... all of them looked pretty great this week (unsurprisingly).

Do you folks think that Vary Morales was more influenced by Essa Rios or by Juventud?

bb08a064c4bfbc7280f30e51a9a22f25fb74d1ee

Edited by Gordberg