DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I have ingested too many Law & Order variants plus the predecessor Homicide (Not Nelson, Ha Ha!) the last few years..  For a split second there AEW was doing some rather unorthodox community outreach in Jacksonville prisons. 

Cash Wheeler at Folsom Prison

• Haha 1

Elevation with fans = less Squash the indies, more signed wrestlers vs other signed wrestlers (although technically Kilynn isn't officially signed)?

Although they've also announced Karl Anderson vs Wheeler Yuta, and Hikaru Shida vs Reka Tehaka.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, Ultimo Necro said:

Page, Silver and Reynolds can split off and become Dark Order Wolfpac.

I mean, I don't like Dark Order as comedy babyfaces either, but I don't hate Page, Silver. and Reynolds that much to wish the Wolfpac moniker on them.  Did they run over your dog with their car or something?  And then back up and do it again?  Just trying to understand where this seething hatred is coming from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hangman is the most likely to be packing alcohol, so I choose him.  He may not be able to protect me from a 7x1 beatdown, but he can slow down the others long enough for me to get a few drinks in.

Gotta have priorities.

• Like 2

This is the 2nd week in a row where a considered Ring of Honor guy is on AEW elevation.  Although Joe Keys is more of a dojo guy.  I know they don't have an issue with them working indies (see Tony Deppen working ICW shows this weekend)  but would think AEW is a different story

The September 8, Dynamite scheduled for Boston has been moved to Oct 27

No word on where the Sept 8 show will take place from now

They did not say the reason for the change

On 6/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Is MJF never working on Dark and hardly ever on Dynamite a good strategy for him?  He seems like a guy who could really benefit from some reps.  I like the idea of booking certain ppl as if they're a special attraction, but I don't quite see that with Friedman.  

He's on pace for two singles matches this year. Don't know what more you want. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MJF should certainly get more than two singles matches in a year, not debating that at all. But putting your top stars on the jobber show brings down their stock.

How many times did Austin work Jakked? How many times was The Rock on Metal?

Hogan worked 10 TV and PPV matches a year or less in the 80s. For better or worse, AEW are committed to not over exposing their guys. They are being the total opposite of the competition. Bobby Lashley worked 51 matches on TV and PPV in 2020. Do we need to see a Bobby Lashley match every single week? Or does that burn him out and make him less special? The answer is a matter of opinion of coarse, but I am 100% burned out on Lashley and he's instant fast forward material for me.

There is certainly room to improve and be closer to the middle for my tastes. But there is a big time anti-AEW sentiment on here that gripe about every decision they make. Take the blinders off and look at it analytically once and awhile and you might find a reason for some of the choices maybe? Not saying you will agree with the decisions. But people act shocked like there could be no reason for them to make their choices. There usually is an actual reason.

4 hours ago, Gordberg said:

204277787_992058538005026_59037979740152

Miro is definitely the one I'd have protecting me. I'd have to imagine that'll be close to consensus.

I could see picking Abadon to keep her from attacking... but I don't know if you could trust her to really protect you. 

Who would you choose?

I'd go with Miro because he would survive to continue fighting for me later on. Hobbs would die as the valiant knight a la Lancelot in protecting me from the horde. He would sacrifice his own life for my survival.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I definitely want MJF to wrestle fifty one matches on TV and PPV in a single calendar year. I am unambiguously saying that Tony Khan is wrong for not doing that. What else could I possibly be talking about? 

Hold your horses there friend. Some of what I wrote was addressing the quote you quoted as well, not just you. But yes please choose between the numbers 51 and 2, there are no other opinions allowed... happy to see the intent of my post came through so clearly lol.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
Put tweeted instead of quoted for some reason

28 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Hold your horses there friend. Some of what I wrote was addressing the quote you quoted as well, not just you. But yes please choose between the numbers 51 and 2, there are no other opinions allowed... happy to see the intent of my post came through so clearly lol.

I just continue to find it funny that it's seemingly impossible to discuss AEW's booking philosophy without being presented a false choice that I can't imagine anybody in this chunk of the board arguing in favour of. The intent of your post is clear, as you, me and any reasonable person know that the happy medium is somewhere in between. It's just crazy to me that one of the big justifications of their philosophy continues to be "they don't want to overexpose people like X," as if anyone's asking for that or doesn't understand what the booker of the year thinks he's trying to do. These criticisms only tend to arise regarding talents who are wildly under-exposed in some regard, so saying "ABorC should be featured in _______ way a bit more" is a far cry from calling for them to be presented like Drew McIntyre or whoever. 

Also: Hardest possible eye-roll at the "big time anti-AEW sentiment on here." Tony's farts still get over as if they smell like roses, so I promise you we're at no risk of being overrun by big time sanity. ? 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

I'm all for limiting think ring tv exposure... Hell I'm for limiting MJF talking (his pitch does kind of grate on my ear drums in a Vickie Guerrero kind of way).

MJF doesn't need to be wrestling. He's too conniving of a shit to be going up each week. He's the weasel you need to trap. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I just continue to find it funny that it's seemingly impossible to discuss AEW's booking philosophy without being presented a false choice that I can't imagine anybody in this chunk of the board arguing in favour of. The intent of your post is clear, as you, me and any reasonable person know that the happy medium is somewhere in between. It's just crazy to me that one of the big justifications of their philosophy continues to be "they don't want to overexpose people like X," as if anyone's asking for that or doesn't understand what the booker of the year thinks he's trying to do. These criticisms only tend to arise regarding talents who are wildly under-exposed in some regard, so saying "ABorC should be featured in _______ way a bit more" is a far cry from calling for them to be presented like Drew McIntyre or whoever.

Good post. And this a fair point. They do have some talent bordering on wildly under exposed.

Mind you MJF is not one of them because as pointed out above, he's on just about every episode of Dynamite in some form. He gets promo time or a recap video all the time, along with group beat down angles and such. I understand @HarryArchieGuswould prefer to see him in strictly one on one singles matches more often. But MJF is certainly not under exposed, so none of this relates to him specifically.

Your greater point still stands tho. There are plenty of people that are under exposed. We'd all vote to have just the right amount of exposure for all of our favorites, obviously. But when given the option of matches to the point of over exposure, or using them so sparingly it constitutes under exposure... I will take under exposure every time. But that's just me.

47 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Good post. And this a fair point. They do have some talent bordering on wildly under exposed.

Mind you MJF is not one of them because as pointed out above, he's on just about every episode of Dynamite in some form. He gets promo time or a recap video all the time, along with group beat down angles and such. I understand @HarryArchieGuswould prefer to see him in strictly one on one singles matches more often. But MJF is certainly not under exposed, so none of this relates to him specifically.

Your greater point still stands tho. There are plenty of people that are under exposed. We'd all vote to have just the right amount of exposure for all of our favorites, obviously. But when given the option of matches to the point of over exposure, or using them so sparingly it constitutes under exposure... I will take under exposure every time. But that's just me.

I can't say that I honestly do want to watch MJF in more matches.  Especially not boosting for 'strictly' one on ones.  I just think he would benefit from working more.  If he were working Dark/Elevation I wouldn't likely go out of my way to watch it.  Unless he had a good sparring partner.  I haven't personally grown a flavour for MJF in ring.  I liked his Jungle Boy match, and thought he did well enough with Moxley.  Most often tho MJF's bouts are just there for me.  My point of him working more is about him getting ring time and becoming a better wrestler.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think part of the deal with MJF is they're leaning very heavily on his personality and the interest in this faction stuff. But he's the presumptive lead singles guy in this main event stable, he's a featured act -- so I think it's wild that this company paces things in a way where he hasn't had a singles match since December 3rd and he literally didn't have a match on Dynamite in March or April. I would say in the ring he's definitely underexposed. A lot of weeks where I wonder why he couldn't just cut his promo after a squash or something of that sort. Like at some point I have to throw my hands up with some of these people and say "It's still a wrestling show, maybe have them wrestle." He's a 25 year old on the rise, not some old-timer or special attraction that needs to be hidden away or used intermittently. And the roster is seemingly always littered with people that a very similar argument can be made about. 

And as I type that, a monkey's paw curls as I see a Chris Jericho singles match on the horizon...

At least we get MJF-Sammy on Wednesday. Could have easily been done six months ago, but gotta take the quality stuff when it comes. 

• Like 1

If Mox can wrestle on Dark, MJF can. Alot of these young guys need ring time...so I wouldn't use the "Austin and Rock didn't wrestle on Jakked or Metal argument" when it comes to the young upper card guys in AEW.

• Like 6

Mox usually works Dark/Elevation when the designated Jobber is a friend of his who he wants to do a favour for. Like he went 15 minutes with Robert Anthony despite being World Champ at the time, because he was having fun wrestling his friend.

• Like 1

Jericho to commentary for this week is the best Jericho news I've heard in some time. 

I thought I heard some rumbling about Mark Henry being joined on Rampage by another wrestler/who has done commentary?  I much prefer Colt Cabana the wrestler to the commentator, so I'm hoping it's Y2J.  He's been mostly good on commentary, and could potentially be even better if working on a regular basis.  I can't say I've felt the same way about his in ring. 

I hope we can get that MJF match/loss over with ASAP, and have the old war horse move into a cushier and more valuable role at the commentary desk.