DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Wow. This is my least favorite post in the history of the board. Four paragraphs dissecting a 21 second strike exchange clip? Listen everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just maybe keep your opinions a little less pretentious when putting them out there in the ether. Cool? Thanks bud.

Please send me daily updates about what I’m allowed to talk about. I’m lost without your guidance. Help a pal out.

11 hours ago, alstein said:

Janela's value to AEW is his links the the indies and scouting.  As a wrestler, he should be a slimy heel manager, and be used eventually to get Sonny over if you ever think Sonny is worthy of such a push (I have my doubts)

A lot of the folks in the low card in AEW do other things, and they're pretty good in their low card spots.  Janela wants to be more than what he's capable of.

I’ve heard people say this but I’m not sure what unique ties to the indies he has, especially since as far as I know, he was most known for falling off a building into a dump truck or something.

Isn’t Excalibur a part owner of PWG? I’ve never seen one of their shows but I’ve heard a lot of the WWE’s upper card guys worked there before WWE, so I think Excalibur might have a better insight into indy talent than a garbage match guy.

Do you know any of the talent Janela’s scouting has brought into AEW?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Going back to Dark from 06/08, who was that guy Cyrus that wrestled Cezar? REALLY liked his look and wrestling skills.

I also don’t know anything about the guy but liked what I saw. Obvious Vader comparisons are obvious. Pretty weird to put him against another big guy like Cesar but I think he still did a good job trying to get himself over.

28 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Do you know any of the talent Janela’s scouting has brought into AEW?

Jungle Boy was an unknown guy doing tiny California indies before Joey booked him for GCW. Marko Stunt was unknown in Mississippi. Janela gave MJF his first career break, ditto for Sonny Kiss. John Silver and Alex Reynolds were recommended to AEW by Joey and Trent - and they in turn got Kris Statlander her shot.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Four words rather than four paragraphs. Finally, someone who knows the rules! 

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

Please send me daily updates about what I’m allowed to talk about. I’m lost without your guidance. Help a pal out.

There are no rules nor allowances. Speak freely. Just know that I'm always judging you! lol

I'm not one of those guys that say only wrestlers should critique wrestling, or only people that make movies should critique movies. But I sure wish everyone interested in wrestling at least did a tryout. Just to get a sense of what it's like. How tough even the most basic movements are. Like you don't have to be a director to have an opinion on a movie. But if you took one class on directing you would have a little bit of knowledge backing up your opinion. Might open your eyes as to why certain things are shot the way they're shot. For example :

He follows with a limp dick forearm and a chop. Neither of the two hand strikes are particularly good and don't add a lot to get us to the next point. So Kenny, being hit in the stomach, the side of the head and his chest grabs his chest and then face before Fenix sets up a suplex. Kenny gets put in a weird position with the series of strikes to different places in that he can't possibly sell all of them. As the spin kick should have doubled him over somewhat, it would have been more natural to go right to the suplex from there rather than throw in two things that didn't help.

This is horseshit. What are you basing any of it on? Limp dick is a dumb description but I will accept the point of it, the forearm looked weak. But in the context of a strike exchange leading to a double down they are both selling exhaustion. Fenix is throwing his last gasps of energy out there even if all he can muster is weak strikes. Weak strikes mind you that lead immediately to Kenny reversing the suplex attempt. Giving purpose to the weak strike. Because a full on strike Kenny shouldn't be able to immediately reverse.

So like to sum up my thoughts here... have whatever opinion you want to have or whatever. Just try and be less of a dick about it my dude. Just because you don't see the purpose in something, doesn't mean there isn't one. You're entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't make your opinion an educated one. There is a difference. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Wow. This is my least favorite post in the history of the board. Four paragraphs dissecting a 21 second strike exchange clip? Listen everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just maybe keep your opinions a little less pretentious when putting them out there in the ether. Cool? Thanks bud.

When I think you spent too much time breaking down Kenny Omega being shitty, it's time to regroup...

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

Jungle Boy was an unknown guy doing tiny California indies before Joey booked him for GCW. Marko Stunt was unknown in Mississippi. Janela gave MJF his first career break, ditto for Sonny Kiss. John Silver and Alex Reynolds were recommended to AEW by Joey and Trent - and they in turn got Kris Statlander her shot.

Damn. He should be doing that all the time then. That's not a bad list. Shit, that wouldn't be a bad list if the only name on it was "Jungle Boy."

• Like 1

Yeah, if people want to discuss things they should go find some kind of "discussion board" or something.

And speaking of "Navel Gazing" I ran into a guy the other day. Definitely wouldn't call him a friend. He is another guy from outside of Japan who works and lives here. If I am out drinking with my gaijin friends and another foreigner comes into the izakaya, there is often the assumption that they are welcome to join us at our table. Usually, that is fine. This particular guy is, in my opinion, an exception. 

His deal, in his own mind, is that he is the South Park guy. He has a lot of South Park t-shirts and a South Park baseball cap and he likes to talk about South Park. The second or maybe third time he invited himself to join us at our table, he started a conversation about "Which South Park character are you." In our group, I am quite definitely Leopold Stotch, in that I am kind of naive and trusting compared to my more cynical drinking buddies,  and I am - relatively speaking - very happy and positive about life in Japan. So I said as much, and the self-annointed South Park expert said, "Nah, man. You are Butters!" Then he looked around the table hoping for high fives and approval for his high-quality burn and could not understand why everyone was regarding him ruefully.

Someone at the table tried to explain to him that Leopold Stotch is Butters, but he was having none of it. He shortly thereafter left in a.huff.

I didn't see him again until running into him on the train. He immediately moved over to sit near me and started complaining loudly about life in Japan. To change the subject, I showed him the Switch game cartridge for Fractured But Whole (a South Park RPG). He had an opinion about that! His opinion was that it is pretty hilarious that "Trey and Matt" didn't realize that "Fractured But Whole" sounds like "Fractured Butthole." 

"Get it? Fractured. BUTTHOLE!" Pointing at his own ass.

I thought about trying to explain to him how that is the joke... but fortunately it was his stop. He thinks we should all go drinking soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Watched Dark. My foremost thought is just continuing to marvel at how much better Taya Conti has gotten. If there's a more damning indictment of WWE's development system, I can't think of it. Julia Hart has something. It's raw and green, but she's got athletic ability and putting her with the Varsity Blondes was inspired casting. I'm all in for Blondes/FTR for the titles when the Bucks finally allow themselves to be booked as mortals and stop bottlenecking the best tag division on earth. 

Wardlow is dollar bills. Lots of them. Large denominations. He's probably the guy I'd build the biggest fence around if I were AEW. Britt, MJF and Adam Page feel like "lifers." Wardlow is a guy I'd absolutely expect Vince to come after hard when he's available. The more goodwill TK can build now, the better...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Three paragraphs in response to one paragraph of a four paragraph post about a twenty-one second clip? More like the June 2021 navel gazing thread, oh boy. 

Commenting on three paragraphs in response to one paragraph of a four paragraph post about a twenty-one second clip? Oh dear lord, we’re going down the rabbit hole.

—-

In regards to that clip: I did a fist pump type move when I saw it. I also enjoy overly worded breakdowns of things I enjoy, even when I don’t agree with the author. Not always in the mood for it, so I can understand someone rolling their eyes. But hey, nerd breakdowns (meant as a compliment) can be riveting. I’m also drinking Miller Highlife and eating Chex Mix while watching someone play Subnautica 2 on YouTube while still confused about the purpose of the game, so maybe my opinion on enjoyable things is suspect. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, just drew said:

Damn. He should be doing that all the time then. That's not a bad list. Shit, that wouldn't be a bad list if the only name on it was "Jungle Boy."

Some folks just want to wrestle some too.   He's Jebailey if he was trained.

7 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Yeah, if people want to discuss things they should go find some kind of "discussion board" or something.

And speaking of "Navel Gazing" I ran into a guy the other day. Definitely wouldn't call him a friend. He is another guy from outside of Japan who works and lives here. If I am out drinking with my gaijin friends and another foreigner comes into the izakaya, there is often the assumption that they are welcome to join us at our table. Usually, that is fine. This particular guy is, in my opinion, an exception. 

His deal, in his own mind, is that he is the South Park guy. He has a lot of South Park t-shirts and a South Park baseball cap and he likes to talk about South Park. The second or maybe third time he invited himself to join us at our table, he started a conversation about "Which South Park character are you." In our group, I am quite definitely Leopold Stotch, in that I am kind of naive and trusting compared to my more cynical drinking buddies,  and I am - relatively speaking - very happy and positive about life in Japan. So I said as much, and the self-annointed South Park expert said, "Nah, man. You are Butters!" Then he looked around the table hoping for high fives and approval for his high-quality burn and could not understand why everyone was regarding him ruefully.

Someone at the table tried to explain to him that Leopold Stotch is Butters, but he was having none of it. He shortly thereafter left in a.huff.

I didn't see him again until running into him on the train. He immediately moved over to sit near me and started complaining loudly about life in Japan. To change the subject, I showed him the Switch game cartridge for Fractured But Whole (a South Park RPG). He had an opinion about that! His opinion was that it is pretty hilarious that "Trey and Matt" didn't realize that "Fractured But Whole" sounds like "Fractured Butthole." 

"Get it? Fractured. BUTTHOLE!" Pointing at his own ass.

I thought about trying to explain to him how that is the joke... but fortunately it was his stop. He thinks we should all go drinking soon. 

This is an epic yarn of how a socially awkward/autistic person is trying to make friends and being annoying about it. And let me be clear, if you find him annoying you do not have to be his friend. It may be beneficial for him to pull the dude aside and let him know that he’s coming on strong with the South Park stuff but he’s probably had some success with bridging social divides using South Park as a topic of conversation. That’s not your obligation of course.

However, the ‘problem’ in terms of his awkwardness is not that he’s not knowledgeable enough about South Park. If he got the jokes or knew Butters’ real name he’d probably still be annoying. As a point of interest you using that as a gotcha is pretty shit especially if you consider you agreed with his assessment that that’s the character you most resemble. This is like using a wrestler’s real name and calling someone a plebe when they only refer to the wrestler by their more widely known stage name. You are whether you know it or not, trying to assert some sort of wacky dominance over minutiae. 

Which is really the whole point of this diatribe isn’t it? 

9 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

There are no rules nor allowances. Speak freely. Just know that I'm always judging you! lol

I'm not one of those guys that say only wrestlers should critique wrestling, or only people that make movies should critique movies. But I sure wish everyone interested in wrestling at least did a tryout. Just to get a sense of what it's like. How tough even the most basic movements are. Like you don't have to be a director to have an opinion on a movie. But if you took one class on directing you would have a little bit of knowledge backing up your opinion. Might open your eyes as to why certain things are shot the way they're shot. For example :

This is horseshit. What are you basing any of it on? Limp dick is a dumb description but I will accept the point of it, the forearm looked weak. But in the context of a strike exchange leading to a double down they are both selling exhaustion. Fenix is throwing his last gasps of energy out there even if all he can muster is weak strikes. Weak strikes mind you that lead immediately to Kenny reversing the suplex attempt. Giving purpose to the weak strike. Because a full on strike Kenny shouldn't be able to immediately reverse.

So like to sum up my thoughts here... have whatever opinion you want to have or whatever. Just try and be less of a dick about it my dude. Just because you don't see the purpose in something, doesn't mean there isn't one. You're entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't make your opinion an educated one. There is a difference. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

It’s interesting that I’m the dick in your head cannon. Did I call one of your posts the worst thing I’ve ever read? No. That was you. So don’t retreat into this being due to my attitude regarding the conversation. Any personal slights here came originally from you and you alone. If you are making the case that I’m being offensive to all the real wrestlers, you’d have to show me the posts where I am being offensive.

You are making one claim ‘you should have to take a wrestling class to really talk about wrestling’ while already conceding that it’s an unreasonable request. I will concede immediately that I am only a fan. I do not claim a doctorate in wrestling. You could probably beat me in a trivia contest since I’m bad at dates. But for you to say I cannot comment on certain things because (and let’s be honest) you don’t like my conclusions is a you problem.

Regarding your actual on topic argument, I would say that if Fenix is trying to sell exhaustion by throwing a weak forearm, it would behoove him not to follow up with 7 moves in the next 30 seconds all of which look better than that forearm. I find you objection to ‘limp dick’ as a turn of phrase really puzzling since you absolutely understood what it meant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1