DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2021

The Natural

Bischoff has claimed that the extra $5,000 for "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" was the reason Buffer mostly just did the ring intros for main events.  Bisch allegedly wanted to use Buffer all night instead of just one match - to get their money's worth out of him - but they didn't want to end up owing him an extra $50k after he said "Let's Get Ready to Rumble" ahead of every match.

All the July episodes of Dynamite will be the special event types, so the upcoming schedule:

June 18: Friday Night Dynamite
June 26: Saturday Night Dynamite (Omega vs. Jungle Boy)

July 7: AEW Road Rager (Miami FL feat. Cody/QT South Beach Strap Match)
July 14: Fyter Fest Night 1 (Austin TX)
July 21: Fyter Fest Night 2 (Garland TX)
July 28: Fight for the Fallen (Charlotte NC)

During this time a certain one “Pretty” Peter Avalon went from the underdeveloped Librarian gimmick to becoming the leader of The Wingmen.

I'd say Nemeth is the leader.

• Like 1

If AEW is indeed taking 11 days off, I say good for them. Freshen everything up before they go back on the road and get some people rested up. At the start of July, we finally get pro wrestling as we know and love it back and I'm all here for it.

Funny thing is, I still have tickets to the AEW Rochester show which was supposed to be the week after the Salt Lake City show (the last show before Covid era; thanks Rudy Gobert) and still have to wait til September just for the rescheduled show. Kinda sucks seeing all of July is going to be mini PPV esque shows but Dynamite always delivers so I won't be too upset.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

If AEW is indeed taking 11 days off, I say good for them.

Fairly sure they aren't taking any weeks off. They don't have the Saturday July 3rd episode listed anywhere yet because it's a taped show... so they aren't selling tickets to it.

Friday June 18th (taped Dynamite) -already been taped

Saturday June 26th (live Dynamite) -live June 26th

Saturday July 3rd (taped Dynamite) -taped June 27th

Back on the road with all live Wednesday night shows on the road starting July 7th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

Mark Henry is trying to get AEW to sign Braun Strowman, and according to Henry, there's interest on both sides.

Oh boy.

If you ever wanted to find out how tall Luchasaurus really isn't, this will be your chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Not only that, Henry's pushing for Dean Muhtadi to come to AEW too. Mojo Rawley.

Mojo's shoot last name almost looks like mutande, which is Italian for underpants. I always giggle when I see Mojo's shoot name ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Mark Henry is trying to get AEW to sign Braun Strowman, and according to Henry, there's interest on both sides.

Oh boy.

Man, I'm pretty torn about this. I'm not a huge Braun fan, but I could for sure see people tuning in for him. On the other hand, between his ring style and dumb shit he's said on Twitter, he seems to be the antithesis of AEW's philosophy in every way. Plus, a lot of the roles I see him in there, if not anywhere, would probably be a step back for him booking wise given the huge payday he likely commands. Like, if I had Braun's ear, I'd tell him to get Erick Rowan on the line and try to make them into an NJPW hoss team or something

Edit: but again, I reiterate, that's not commensurate with how much he's going to sign for, that's just me fantasy booking like a jerk. If you're paying Braun you gotta be putting him on PPV vs Omega or Miro and recouping that investment almost immediately

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

I'd almost rather see  Mojo than Braun.  I think Mojo would give better effort, and they might be able to build him up.  Could be nice as another member of Team Taz.

I mean, he'd probably contribute about as well as Mongo did for WCW, who at least was entertaingly bad.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 3

I mean, it's possible that the WWEPC taught them lots of different ways of working, but then told them "Just wrestle like you only know two moves, it's what Vince likes" and they could go on the indies and have workrate matches. But it's not likely.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, alstein said:

I'd almost rather see  Mojo than Braun.  I think Mojo would give better effort, and they might be able to build him up.  Could be nice as another member of Team Taz.

I bet if Mojo signed he'd just be Nightmare Family tracksuit guy #37. I'm no expert, but I'd think the move for him would be like an Impact or NWA big fish/small pond kind of scenario. And I say this not cynically or to be a dick, but his NFL connections are obviously of absolutely no value to AEW. All in all, if he ended up as a fixture on Dark/DE or something I wouldn't hate it I guess.

I'm also torn on Braun, as I actually liked him back when I was still watching WWE and thought that they dropped the ball on completing big pushes with him multiple times (he should have come out of SummerSlam 2018 as champion as most notable missed opportunity). That said, I'm not sure if he would be fully committed to AEW (and even if everything does not connect 100 percent, there's very little half-assing it in AEW), and of course there would be some backlash from his comments following the massive 2020 WWE layoffs. For what it cost to sign Braun, I'm saving that money for someone like a Jay White down the road (And of course still dream of Bryan Danielson, but not sure if that's realistic at this point if it ever was). 

From the recent WWE layoffs these past few months, the only people I am really hoping for AEW to sign are Tommy End (untapped potential on biggest stage, very over with core AEW audience, and still think he could bring some new eyeballs in if packaged right), Thea Trinidad (great versatility as a manager and wrestler), and Ruby Riott/Heidi Lovelace (similar characteristics to Tommy End from the female side, and also thought to be a great person by most of the people that she's worked with)).

Edited by Big Z
  • Like 2

I don't see the point of signing Braun right now. If he's really asking for $10,000 per appearance on the indies, let him try to get that for a year or two. And then, if he hasn't returned to the WWE by then (which seems likely), maybe make him an offer. A lowball offer.

Then have him lose matches to Marko, Fuego, Shawn Dean, Lee Johnson and Danny Limelight, and then release him because he doesn't know how to get himself over as a monster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

I don't see the point of signing Braun right now. If he's really asking for $10,000 per appearance on the indies, let him try to get that for a year or two. And then, if he hasn't returned to the WWE by then (which seems likely), maybe make him an offer. A lowball offer.

$20-25,000 according to PWInsider, or at least his manager is:

"Last night, Braun Strowman took to Twitter, taking umbrage with our report that he was asking for "five figures" to make independent appearances.  Strowman went as far as to claim he had not spoken to any independent promoters but pointed anyone who wanted to do business to his manager, writing, "Let me just get this FYI out. I have not spoken to anyone about bookings. But if you wanna talk business the email to my agent is in my bio. Thank for any confusion you may be reading online."

There is no confusion.

PWInsider.com stands by its reporting from earlier this week.  Strowman's manager Nick Antocelli has quoted "20-25K" for a three hour appearance to multiple promoters that have reached out with their interest in Strowman appearing for them.  Antocelli is also asking for first class airfare, two nights of hotel plus all meals and ground transportation covered.

Our initial reporting of "Braun Strowman" would have obviously covered anyone who was representing him and we stand by our report.  If he's claiming that he didn't speak to "anyone", he may not have personally, but his representation is certainly speaking for him."

• Haha 2

Now, for a positive potential comparison for Braun, I'd look at what Lex Luger brought WCW for a few years after joining as a big-name free agent with a questionable reputation on the first Nitro. Now, Lex came to WCW eager to prove doubters wrong after his time in WWE flamed out and also took a pay cut to prove himself again (and was a big asset for the company for his first few years back before his body started to break down and also being one of many caught up in the NWO storylines that went way past its expiration date). 

However, from the sounds of it, you are not getting Braun on the remotely cheap. Also, I would have my doubts about how motivated that Braun actually is to prove himself on a new stage.  AEW has been great at signing guys who have been hungry to prove something (there have been a couple of exceptions to that, but even in the case of say Matt Hardy, he should be bringing legitimate value to the company outside of the ring as a smart, seasoned veteran working with a fairly young roster). 

In general, I would not be in favor of bringing Braun in and think the that risks outweigh the potential reward. However, I would be open minded enough to give it a little time to play out, and can see how it works out positively (and even very positively).

I really have zero interest with Braun in AEW... but then again Im rather old school in thinking that the giants should move around a lot and not stick to a certain promotion.

I'm totally ok with Mojo in AEW... But I think he'd be better off in IMPACT and working around a bit if he wants to really take pro wrestling seriously. Even after all the years he spent with the WWE he ended up being a more agile version of Mongo but without the personality. 

In fact..m I think Mojo could make some money in Japan as a bulldozer type guy once he gets a bit more understanding of what he should be doing.